For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
sikachu's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, March 25th, 2011 10:31 AM

Best plan for staying in the US for just 3 months?

Hi,

I'm going to be in the US for the internship for 3 months. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 in my home country, Thailand, and I think I'll bring my phone to use there. I'm currently using like 1GB of data each month and I think I'd better go there and use AT&T for the best support and coverage. Which plan would you recommend for me? Also, will I be eligible for the post-paid plan without contract, so I can use that 2G DataPro plan on my iPhone?

Thank you very much.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

You can sign up for post paid service, just be aware that AT&T will likely require a deposit as you have no credit history in the US.  Deposits can go as high as $500.

The iPhone is not authorized for use on pre-paid plans.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

@sikachu wrote:

Hmm .. I let my friend called AT&T in the US and ask for a contract-free iPhone plan. The representative on the phone said that it's not possible even I already have an iPhone. Could you verify that it's possible, or what would be the magic word that I should say to the representative?

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

The company noted that it continues to offer options for those customers who do not want term commitments or ETFs, including:

* Buy a phone at full price and go on a month-to-month service plan.
* Bring your own compatible GSM device. With this option, you can buy a SIM (subscriber identity module), slip it into the back of the phone, and select a month-to-month service plan.
* Choose one of AT&T's GoPhone prepaid wireless plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

If it's just $500 deposit I'm pretty sure I can take that. If it's more than that I might just buy a GoPhone with no internet service, as I saw in some forum that someone have to deposit around $800 to use it. Surely that would make me short on cash!

Glad to hear that I could still have the post-paid though. IMO lowest post-paid package + 2GB data is pretty cheap compared to what you would get from pre-paid. I hope that they will let me do it then.

Thank you 🙂

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

The bad part about a deposit for foreign travelers is getting the deposit returned.  ATT mails the deposits refunds back as a check.  If it get lost in the international mail or if anything happens like it was never sent, then its a nightmare working with AT&T as you'd be contacting them internationally which is a pain (time consuming and costly).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Hmm .. I let my friend called AT&T in the US and ask for a contract-free iPhone plan. The representative on the phone said that it's not possible even I already have an iPhone. Could you verify that it's possible, or what would be the magic word that I should say to the representative?

Regarding the deposit, I never see a mail coming from the US that got lost along the way, even something like Google Adwords cheque so I think I'll be fine. Thank you for letting me know that I should expecting a cheque anyway 😉

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Just for the follow up, I've finally be able to get a post-paid service here without the contract. Thank you to both of you guys so much 🙂 🙂 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.