Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 25, 2011
3:31:44 AM
View profile
Best plan for staying in the US for just 3 months?
Edited by sikachu on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:32:18 AM

Hi,

I'm going to be in the US for the internship for 3 months. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 in my home country, Thailand, and I think I'll bring my phone to use there. I'm currently using like 1GB of data each month and I think I'd better go there and use AT&T for the best support and coverage. Which plan would you recommend for me? Also, will I be eligible for the post-paid plan without contract, so I can use that 2G DataPro plan on my iPhone?

Thank you very much.

Hi,

I'm going to be in the US for the internship for 3 months. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 in my home country, Thailand, and I think I'll bring my phone to use there. I'm currently using like 1GB of data each month and I think I'd better go there and use AT&T for the best support and coverage. Which plan would you recommend for me? Also, will I be eligible for the post-paid plan without contract, so I can use that 2G DataPro plan on my iPhone?

Thank you very much.

Accepted Solution

Best plan for staying in the US for just 3 months?

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 25, 2011 7:39:54 AM
(0)
Professor

You can sign up for post paid service, just be aware that AT&T will likely require a deposit as you have no credit history in the US.  Deposits can go as high as $500.

The iPhone is not authorized for use on pre-paid plans.

You can sign up for post paid service, just be aware that AT&T will likely require a deposit as you have no credit history in the US.  Deposits can go as high as $500.

The iPhone is not authorized for use on pre-paid plans.

Re: Best plan for staying in the US for just 3 months?

2 of 7 (1,611 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2011 6:09:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

If it's just $500 deposit I'm pretty sure I can take that. If it's more than that I might just buy a GoPhone with no internet service, as I saw in some forum that someone have to deposit around $800 to use it. Surely that would make me short on cash!

Glad to hear that I could still have the post-paid though. IMO lowest post-paid package + 2GB data is pretty cheap compared to what you would get from pre-paid. I hope that they will let me do it then.

Thank you Smiley Happy

If it's just $500 deposit I'm pretty sure I can take that. If it's more than that I might just buy a GoPhone with no internet service, as I saw in some forum that someone have to deposit around $800 to use it. Surely that would make me short on cash!

Glad to hear that I could still have the post-paid though. IMO lowest post-paid package + 2GB data is pretty cheap compared to what you would get from pre-paid. I hope that they will let me do it then.

Thank you Smiley Happy

3 of 7 (1,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2011 12:30:39 PM
(0)
Master

The bad part about a deposit for foreign travelers is getting the deposit returned.  ATT mails the deposits refunds back as a check.  If it get lost in the international mail or if anything happens like it was never sent, then its a nightmare working with AT&T as you'd be contacting them internationally which is a pain (time consuming and costly).

The bad part about a deposit for foreign travelers is getting the deposit returned.  ATT mails the deposits refunds back as a check.  If it get lost in the international mail or if anything happens like it was never sent, then its a nightmare working with AT&T as you'd be contacting them internationally which is a pain (time consuming and costly).

4 of 7 (1,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 9:48:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hmm .. I let my friend called AT&T in the US and ask for a contract-free iPhone plan. The representative on the phone said that it's not possible even I already have an iPhone. Could you verify that it's possible, or what would be the magic word that I should say to the representative?

Regarding the deposit, I never see a mail coming from the US that got lost along the way, even something like Google Adwords cheque so I think I'll be fine. Thank you for letting me know that I should expecting a cheque anyway Smiley Wink

Hmm .. I let my friend called AT&T in the US and ask for a contract-free iPhone plan. The representative on the phone said that it's not possible even I already have an iPhone. Could you verify that it's possible, or what would be the magic word that I should say to the representative?

Regarding the deposit, I never see a mail coming from the US that got lost along the way, even something like Google Adwords cheque so I think I'll be fine. Thank you for letting me know that I should expecting a cheque anyway Smiley Wink

5 of 7 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 4, 2011 10:12:23 PM
(0)
Master

sikachu wrote:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

The company noted that it continues to offer options for those customers who do not want term commitments or ETFs, including:

* Buy a phone at full price and go on a month-to-month service plan.
* Bring your own compatible GSM device. With this option, you can buy a SIM (subscriber identity module), slip it into the back of the phone, and select a month-to-month service plan.
* Choose one of AT&T's GoPhone prepaid wireless plans.

sikachu wrote:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

The company noted that it continues to offer options for those customers who do not want term commitments or ETFs, including:

* Buy a phone at full price and go on a month-to-month service plan.
* Bring your own compatible GSM device. With this option, you can buy a SIM (subscriber identity module), slip it into the back of the phone, and select a month-to-month service plan.
* Choose one of AT&T's GoPhone prepaid wireless plans.

6 of 7 (1,405 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2011 10:18:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just for the follow up, I've finally be able to get a post-paid service here without the contract. Thank you to both of you guys so much Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Just for the follow up, I've finally be able to get a post-paid service here without the contract. Thank you to both of you guys so much Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

7 of 7 (1,260 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments