Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, service plan?

Contributor

Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, service plan?

Will I have to pay a cellular service plan for the new Apple Watch series 3 GPS + Cellular?
Message 1 of 40
ACE - Expert

Re: Can't tell what yours is for unless you tell us SPECIFICALLY what the bill says.

@MichaelMcP69 wrote:
The $49.95 was for the additional phone line associated with the watch.

I'm confident your bill does not say

"$49.95 additional phone line associated with the watch"

What EXACTLY does the bill say for the $49.95 and for the $10.00

Feel free to post a screen shot or photo, please block out the number or the moderators will remove it.

I don't believe that AT&T has any current/past postpaid plans that are $49.95 for the single line fee.  Maybe an old plan that's $40 for a plan, $9.95 for a line and $10 for smartwatch data. But that's not the best way to configure it. You should be able to tack it onto a current plan for $10. 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 40

Re: Can't tell what yours is for unless you tell us SPECIFICALLY what the bill says.

Since I'm overseas, I was going off information received from text and email from my wife. I have since been able to drill down more into the bill. There's an additional $8 access fee (on top of the monthly $10 fee) and over $12 in taxes associated with the Watch. I was misinformed on the $49.95. The additional fees are just over $20. No one I've contacted can inform me why I have an additional access fee, and it seems the taxes are an additional cost associated with the cellular plan. If I had known that prior to my purchase, I would have opted for the series 2.
Message 22 of 40
ACE - Expert

@MichaelMcP69 wrote:
Since I'm overseas, I was going off information received from text and email from my wife. 

I was misinformed on the $49.95.

This is why I kept asking for clarification...

The additional fees are just over $20.

That's WAY less than $59.95. But still more that you'd want to pay.

I have since been able to drill down more into the bill. There's an additional $8 access fee (on top of the monthly $10 fee) and over $12 in taxes associated with the Watch. No one I've contacted can inform me why I have an additional access fee, and it seems the taxes are an additional cost associated with the cellular plan.

Again, it'd be great to have the EXACT SPECIFIC wording. But I'll dive in anyways:

IF this was the first month and you started 20% through the month, you'd have an $8 charge (80% of $10) to go with the regular $10 fee the way they list/bill these things. Plus, the taxes would be on $18 instead of on $10.

Taxes are normal for cellular lines (check your current bill), I'd think they would be no more than your current cell lines (maybe less).

If I had known that prior to my purchase, I would have opted for the series 2.

The only current models for sale is the Series 1, Series 3 and Series 3Cellular; the 1 has no GPS and not the nicer waterproofing, the 3 replaced the 2 (for the $80 more, I'd opt for the faster Series 3 with GPS and waterproofing).

As cellphones are required to still be able to call 911 even without service, if the Cellular model would do that, I'd be tempted to get that model and not pay monthly. To always have a way to dial 911 in an emergency strapped to my wrist would be nice. I'll check into that next year when I ask Santa for my Series 4...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 40
ACE - Sage

@MichaelMcP69 

You would have a one time charge to add the line also.  But as @Gary L wrote, a partial month and a full month is most likely. As we say all to often, read the bill, it explains a lot.

Your regular charges will be about $10 plus taxes, which I hear are higher than a tablet line or other watch lines.

And I am assuming you paid full price rather than finance the watch?

@GLIMMERMAN76 how do the taxes on the watch compare with phone taxes?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 24 of 40
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 wrote:

@MichaelMcP69 

You would have a one time charge to add the line also.  But as @Gary L wrote, a partial month and a full month is most likely. As we say all to often, read the bill, it explains a lot.

Your regular charges will be about $10 plus taxes, which I hear are higher than a tablet line or other watch lines.

And I am assuming you paid full price rather than finance the watch?

@GLIMMERMAN76 how do the taxes on the watch compare with phone taxes?

Here in IL my taxes on a watch line is around 4 bucks give or take.

Message 25 of 40
ACE - Sage

@GLIMMERMAN76   So more than a tablet, closer to that of your phones.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 26 of 40
Contributor

Re: Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, service plan?

I have the data plan on the watch, but the device does not send/receive texts on the number associated with the watch, nor can it receive calls.

Message 27 of 40
ACE - Sage

@bigmark173

Have you number synced to an iPhone?

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html

The Apple Watch is designed to work with a phone.   I’m no expert on cellular smart watches, so I picked this article which explains the basics.  While the first version was not cellular, yuo still need a phone to sync your watch.   

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/apple-watch.htm

And about the Apple Watch 3.   

https://phoneradar.com/apple-watch-series-3-wont-support-stand-alone-phone-calls-launch-will-support...

Message 28 of 40
Contributor

Yes. The watch is synced to my wife’s X. I was finally able to get in touch with an AT&T Tech Support rep who clarified that the number in the watch is simply for billing purposes. You cannot use the number that is associated with the watch to send/received texts and/or calls. This is NOT what the retail rep told me.

Message 29 of 40
Teacher

I just got this watch.  So, if I add a cellular line for the watch to my plan, will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan?  I won't do it if this is the case.

Message 30 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support