For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Yukonbone's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, September 13th, 2017 4:07 AM

Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, service plan?

Will I have to pay a cellular service plan for the new Apple Watch series 3 GPS + Cellular?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Since I'm overseas, I was going off information received from text and email from my wife. I have since been able to drill down more into the bill. There's an additional $8 access fee (on top of the monthly $10 fee) and over $12 in taxes associated with the Watch. I was misinformed on the $49.95. The additional fees are just over $20. No one I've contacted can inform me why I have an additional access fee, and it seems the taxes are an additional cost associated with the cellular plan. If I had known that prior to my purchase, I would have opted for the series 2.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@MichaelMcP69 wrote:
Since I'm overseas, I was going off information received from text and email from my wife. 

I was misinformed on the $49.95.

This is why I kept asking for clarification...

The additional fees are just over $20.

That's WAY less than $59.95. But still more that you'd want to pay.

I have since been able to drill down more into the bill. There's an additional $8 access fee (on top of the monthly $10 fee) and over $12 in taxes associated with the Watch. No one I've contacted can inform me why I have an additional access fee, and it seems the taxes are an additional cost associated with the cellular plan.

Again, it'd be great to have the EXACT SPECIFIC wording. But I'll dive in anyways:

IF this was the first month and you started 20% through the month, you'd have an $8 charge (80% of $10) to go with the regular $10 fee the way they list/bill these things. Plus, the taxes would be on $18 instead of on $10.

Taxes are normal for cellular lines (check your current bill), I'd think they would be no more than your current cell lines (maybe less).

If I had known that prior to my purchase, I would have opted for the series 2.

The only current models for sale is the Series 1, Series 3 and Series 3Cellular; the 1 has no GPS and not the nicer waterproofing, the 3 replaced the 2 (for the $80 more, I'd opt for the faster Series 3 with GPS and waterproofing).

As cellphones are required to still be able to call 911 even without service, if the Cellular model would do that, I'd be tempted to get that model and not pay monthly. To always have a way to dial 911 in an emergency strapped to my wrist would be nice. I'll check into that next year when I ask Santa for my Series 4...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@MichaelMcP69 

You would have a one time charge to add the line also.  But as @Gary L wrote, a partial month and a full month is most likely. As we say all to often, read the bill, it explains a lot.

Your regular charges will be about $10 plus taxes, which I hear are higher than a tablet line or other watch lines.

And I am assuming you paid full price rather than finance the watch?

@GLIMMERMAN76 how do the taxes on the watch compare with phone taxes?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@MichaelMcP69 

You would have a one time charge to add the line also.  But as @Gary L wrote, a partial month and a full month is most likely. As we say all to often, read the bill, it explains a lot.

Your regular charges will be about $10 plus taxes, which I hear are higher than a tablet line or other watch lines.

And I am assuming you paid full price rather than finance the watch?

@GLIMMERMAN76 how do the taxes on the watch compare with phone taxes?

Here in IL my taxes on a watch line is around 4 bucks give or take.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76   So more than a tablet, closer to that of your phones.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have the data plan on the watch, but the device does not send/receive texts on the number associated with the watch, nor can it receive calls.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@bigmark173

Have you number synced to an iPhone?

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html

The Apple Watch is designed to work with a phone.   I’m no expert on cellular smart watches, so I picked this article which explains the basics.  While the first version was not cellular, yuo still need a phone to sync your watch.   

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/apple-watch.htm

And about the Apple Watch 3.   

https://phoneradar.com/apple-watch-series-3-wont-support-stand-alone-phone-calls-launch-will-support-voip/amp/

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Yes. The watch is synced to my wife’s X. I was finally able to get in touch with an AT&T Tech Support rep who clarified that the number in the watch is simply for billing purposes. You cannot use the number that is associated with the watch to send/received texts and/or calls. This is NOT what the retail rep told me.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

I just got this watch.  So, if I add a cellular line for the watch to my plan, will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan?  I won't do it if this is the case.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@PDADoc wrote:

I just got this watch.  So, if I add a cellular line for the watch to my plan, will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan?  I won't do it if this is the case.

You can keep the old plan, but from what I understand, you can’t add lines, so the watch will probably be on its own plan.  Kind of expensive. You might have looked at the newer plans when they were a good deal.  Not so much now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.