The new iPhone 15
cmiclat's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 6:49 PM

Apple Care + for all of us loyal AT&T orders..Please AT&T let us know what we need to do.

I ordered 2 iPhone 4s white (one through Apple and one through AT&T). Both have shipped and have tracking. UPS shows its in KY, where Fedex for the second phone shows nothing yet.

Can someone please tell me how to get Apple Care + without going to a local store, IS AT&T going to allow us to purchase this in the local stores?????

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@tonester wrote:

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

I reckon Apple just copy/pasted the "One Year Limited Warranty" clause from the original AppleCare T&C. You can only purchase AppleCare+ at the time of device purchase (or in this case, up to November 14).

As for the extended warranty on automobile - the original AppleCare service was like that. However, you have to remember AppleCare+ also provides coverage for accidental damage. Do you know any insurance company who's willing to insure your  previously uninsured automobile after you've already wrecked it?

Guru

• 

647 Messages

12 years ago

@hnzw_rui wrote:

@tonester wrote:

Does that (above) trump the actual Apple Care+ Terms and Conditions, viewable here:  AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions ?  I ask because of this particular entry (found in section 11--General Terms, subsection x):

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
terms.

Now if Apple's requirement that you can purchase AppleCare+ only at the time of new device purchase trumps what is stated in their own AppleCare+ T&C...well then that's not really consumer-friendly now, is it?  Heck, automobile manufacturers don't require that extended automobile warranties must be purchased only at the time you purchase your new vehicle in order for it to be valid--you can wait until day 364 of the third year of a warranty (if 3-year original warranty) to purchase an extended warranty (e.g., a 5-year extended plan that gives you two extra years on top of an original 3-year one) and they would still sell it to you.  What makes Apple think they're so special that they can "demand" that you either buy AppleCare+ at time of device purchase or else forever forfeit your right to purchase it at all for said device purchase?

I reckon Apple just copy/pasted the "One Year Limited Warranty" clause from the original AppleCare T&C. You can only purchase AppleCare+ at the time of device purchase (or in this case, up to November 14).

As for the extended warranty on automobile - the original AppleCare service was like that. However, you have to remember AppleCare+ also provides coverage for accidental damage. Do you know any insurance company who's willing to insure your  previously uninsured automobile after you've already wrecked it?

You're confusing "warranty" and "insurance"--they are not one and the same; most warranties (or, product protection plans) do not cover product loss due to theft or vandalism.  AppleCare+ is not an insurance policy but rather, a product protection plan. I would guess that the main--if not only--reason why the new AppleCare+ plan now includes accidental damage coverage is that the Apple bean counters decided, "Why should we continue to goodwill out-of-warranty (i.e., 1-2 year old) busted iPhones if we can get iPhone customers to cough up $148 or $197 ($99 AppleCare+ cost plus one or two $49 replacements allowed under the AppleCare+ accidental damage coverage) to fix an accidentally-damaged iPhone?"

But since you brought up the insurance thing--actually, most auto insurance companies will insure a vehicle that was previously damaged and/or previously uninsured, except under certain circumstances (e.g., salvage title vehicle)...they just won't cover any pre-existing damage and/or claims.  In fact, I believe the AppleCare+ policy states something similar--you can purchase AppleCare+ any time after device purchase (but before the original warranty expires), but Apple won't repair anything on the device that was broken--accidentally or otherwise--prior to when the AppleCare+ coverage took effect.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Don't agree

I just purchased Applecare + from my ATT store, with IPHONE 5 purchase.  Have Square Trade on my last Iphone.  Applecare plus does not exclude drops in water. Now covered.   Applecare plus will replace TWO phones.  Square Trade pays you for one, and their obligation is over.  Applecare plus includes tech support for 2 years.  With SQ, zero tech support.  Can get same day replacement from Applecare Plus.  I have six policies, from phone to toasters with SQ.   But now that Applecare + is available, I went with that one for the IPHONE 5.  Both are $ 99.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

12 years ago

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store.  To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment
See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details. <----- THIS IS WHAT IS SAID ON THE APPLE SITE ABOUT APPLE CARE + 🙂

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

This is an old thread that mixes two types of Applecare.  The old version could be purchsed during the first year after purchase while the phone was under warranty as it did not cover accidental damage.  Applecare+ can be purchased within the first 30 days but after inspection by an Apple Genius.  If purchased with your iPhone 5, no inspection is necessary.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.