The new iPhone 15
grhicks's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, February 13th, 2014 2:38 PM

Apple - Airport Time Capsule Setup with Westell Modem (BellSouth DSL)

Hi,

Just bought the Apple Airport Time Capsule (2TB) hoping to replace my Linksys Router. I know the whole BellSouth DSL Westell Modem setup sometimes adds more complications than it should. Before start this task, wondering if anyone had any experience & advice.

My current setup in the Westell Modem is passthrough where the pertient access information is being stored in the Linksys router instead of the Westell Modem. Wondering if that will be an issue when setting up my Apple Airport Time Capsule. I have googled it, havent found any advice or suggestions. I'm wondering if i need to change Westell setup to a different mode therefore storing the pertient access information in the modem instead of the router.

Any advice?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

Most laptops these days default to wireless when booted up you can disconnect from your wireless by opening the icon in your system tray bottom right corner.

If you then connect an ethernet cable and it does not auto connect go to control panel then select network and sharing and change adapter settings.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

You can set it up either way as a wireless access point (bridge mode) or as a router.

When you first hook it up you can use assistance and it will basically help you set it up.

I don't have a Westall Modem but I am using the TC 2TB with an RG 3800 set up in bridge mode .

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

thanks so much. i was concerned because i didnt see setup details or screen shots for Apple TC indicating i could use the same setup as the Linksys.

i might lean on you again tomorrow when i attempt the cutover should i have an issue. thanks again

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

No problem and Time Capsule is the best way to make use of Time Machine on a MBP or MB .

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

It was easy breasy. everything worked great. only have one issue; work laptop wont connect to internet with cat 5 cable, only wirelessly. weird. i can access my work vpn fine, just weird cant connect to internet via cat 5 like i did before.

any suggestions?

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

What laptop and OS?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

HP, with Windows 7

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I have it setup with a port replicator or docking station with a Cat 5 from the TC, just as i did with the Linksys. i couldnt connect to the internet until i turned the enabled the wifi on the work laptop. weird 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@grhicks wrote:

I have it setup with a port replicator or docking station with a Cat 5 from the TC, just as i did with the Linksys. i couldnt connect to the internet until i turned the enabled the wifi on the work laptop. weird 

some laptops turn off wired when it is connected to wi-fi, check to see that the ethernet port is available. Also are you using DHCP to get the ip address for the ethernet or hard assigned?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

thanks so much, i am now runnning on the Cat 5 setup. Perfect. 

with your help & guidance you have made this a smooth transition to Apple' TC. 

so far i love the Apple TC, it s great.

thanks again for your help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.