For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
dbarskin's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 4:10 AM

Am I able to receive WEA alerts on my phone and in my area?

i see that iPhone 5SE is not listed on AT&T's list of WEA capable smart phones, is that because the 5SE is a subset of the 5S? Isn't the 5S a sunset of the 5 and it is listed, why not list the 5SE?

along the same lines, why does AT&T state that i need to ask an AT&T sales person if i am located in an area where AT&T sends WEA alerts? aren't cell phones portable? Is AT&T saying i need to keep in contact with their sales staff as i travel through my day to see if i am in their WEA alerts access area? If that is not what they are saying, i really miss understand what they wrote.

do they think i should only receive WEA Alerts near my home?

i have always thought of AT&T as a primer communications company, but these communications are subpar to say the least and AT&T looks unprofessional and provides

inconvenient service.

note that because i live in an area prone to wild fires and earthquakes, WEA alerts could be a matter of life or death. also, i am a member of the civilian emergency response team that would be deplyoyed in the event of a disaster and my team leader require us to have reverse 911 and WEA alerts. I do not have a wired land line, so WEA Alerts are the way i would first be alerted to an incident.

thanks to everyone 😉

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@dbarskin wrote:

i called apple and they said the way to see if it has tha capability to receive WEAs is to up-date to the latest software and then go to Settings > Notifications (scroll to the bottom and look for) 'Government'. if there is no "government" then it cannot receive Emergency Alerts.

the phone is not here right now, but when i get it i will do all of that and report back.

thanks for the tip about the Apple Website 😉

Like this from my iPhone 5s...

20161025_184439000_iOS.png

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@dbarskin

well I would contact apple since verizon is showing the samething as ATT that the phone is does not do WEA...  

also the iphone se has the same guts as a iphone 6s.

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

i called apple and they said the way to see if it has tha capability to receive WEAs is to up-date to the latest software and then go to Settings > Notifications (scroll to the bottom and look for) 'Government'. if there is no "government" then it cannot receive Emergency Alerts.

the phone is not here right now, but when i get it i will do all of that and report back.

thanks for the tip about the Apple Website 😉

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I checked the iPhone 5SE and it has the government and amber alert switch at the bottom of the notification list. thanks again

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.