• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 16th, 2013 2:32 PM

AT&T to add alerts from government that you can't turn off

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I do not want this invasive measure either.  If they want to offer the OPTION for it, fine, but i do NOT want it forced on me.  I will consider boycotting ATT should they push this on my phones.

Guru

• 

402 Messages

11 years ago

It's ridiculous that people get worked up over nothing. I just read more 100 carriers have this enabled including ALL the largest carriers! I personally would want to know if someone was attacking us!!

http://www.fema.gov/wireless-emergency-alerts

@mcrad66 wrote:

I do not want this invasive measure either.  If they want to offer the OPTION for it, fine, but i do NOT want it forced on me.  I will consider boycotting ATT should they push this on my phones.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Do not add Emergency Alerts from President Obama to my iPhones that cannot be switched off! Governing me is NOT why we bought you! This has to be a violation of my wireless contract. I envision , lower share prices, and hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in your future. 

Drudge: "AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off"

Posted by Jim Hoft on Sunday, June 16, 2013, 1:17 AM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mcrad66 wrote:

the go back to a hard wired landline, the 5th estate is playing it up by attacking att, but what they don;t tell you is that the SAME thing is on all the cellular services that have implemented the SAME exact thing. So you can boycot all the cellular services. After all these messages all originate from the exact same starting point. It is going to happen so boycot technology

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

I can imagine that in the not too near future, it will include landlines too. so you can boycott all phone service.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Ryw66 wrote:

Do not add Emergency Alerts from President Obama to my iPhones that cannot be switched off! Governing me is NOT why we bought you! This has to be a violation of my wireless contract. I envision , lower share prices, and hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in your future. 

Drudge: "AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off"

Posted by Jim Hoft on Sunday, June 16, 2013, 1:17 AM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Again the 5th estate is just beating their chest with incomplete information to sell papers and web hits - as mentioned the FCC regulates this and it is the same for every carrier in the US that will roll out this functionality.

Want to opt out, get rid of your cell phone an go back to a hard wired landline only.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
I can imagine that in the not too near future, it will include landlines too. so you can boycott all phone service.

Doubt it becuase of the additional infrastructure and human interaction required. Guess they can then use smoke signals or two tine cans and a lenght of string, maybe even morse code. ... --- ...

I jsut find it very amusing that the "reporters" pick and choose the information they decide to release to seel their paper and wen hits. Target a single company to make it seem like they are the only one doing it - talk about creative reporting.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

If AT&T force this service on all users, I will move to a different carrier. I have been a loyal customer since I first got an iphone3.
I have 5 devices using AT&T for voice and data. In addition as the buyer for all tchnology in the tricounty courthouses, I will stop using AT&T.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Jmsmith32210 wrote:
If AT&T force this service on all users, I will move to a different carrier. I have been a loyal customer since I first got an iphone3.
I have 5 devices using AT&T for voice and data. In addition as the buyer for all tchnology in the tricounty courthouses, I will stop using AT&T.

1. It is not ATT "forcing" the alerts, it is set out by the FCC - you know that "goverment" organization so all carriers will be doing it

2. Eventually ALL US carriers will be doing this. Verizon and Sprint already have it

If you purchase Special services - aka t1, oc3, etc and you are in att country you will never get away from att, since no matter who you get your services from - guess who owns the final mile infrastructure for those t1's - att.

Guru

• 

561 Messages

11 years ago

I'm actually a little upset that AT&T doesn't offer this in my area. While out to dinner a few nights ago, my friend got an Amber Alert notification on her cell, and I didn't. She has a different carrier, and I thought it was a great idea.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.