Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T prepaid phone lock

Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T prepaid phone lock

Everyone beware. I purchased a new, unlocked iPhone back in September. After inserting my AT&T sim, it locked to their network. I didn’t buy the phone through them and it seems to be a glitch in their system. I’ve ported to Verizon but my phone has been held hostage. I’m currently waiting for them to unlock the phone that I own which is complete bull s****. I’ll be going without a phone until it’s unlocked since I’m not paying for another month of service. AT&T is the worst provider and I have gotten many to switch in light of this, lack of WiFi and Volte on prepaid. Filing a complaint with the BBB. This is the WORST wireless provider you can get. 

Message 1 of 8
Master
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎01-27-2019 5:17 AM

Re: AT&T prepaid phone lock

Unless you bought an unlocked phone direct from Apple, you did not buy an unlocked phone.  If you bought from AT&T, you bought a phone locked to AT&T.  If you bought a phone from Best Buy, Target, etc., you bought a phone subject to APPLE’s US Reseller Flex policy, which lock the phone to the first SIM inserted, regardless of who the carrier is.  Note this is an APPLE policy and encoded into the software.  Also, if you inserted a prepaid SIM, normal AT&T policy is to require 6 months of prepaid service before allowing it to be unlocked.  This should have told to you by the place that sold it to you.

Where did you buy the phone, and why do you believe the phone was already unlocked?  Also, if you paid full price for the phone, have you contacted AT&T about getting it unlocked?  The 6 month requirement can be waived.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Tutor

The phone was purchased from Best Buy. The Flex policy you are referring to I looked into yesterday... I already had AT&T prepaid service for a few months and was using my iPhone 6S. I then put my the card into my 8 from Best Buy. It locked the phone. The final world from AT&T was that it was an Apple lock. Apple confirmed it was an AT&T lock, and also didn’t know anything about a flex policy. This has been a nightmare. Neither Best Buy informed me of a lock, nor AT&T telling me I’m entering into a 6 month contract for a phone I own. 

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Sage

@bkehrer  So you read about Apples US Flex activation policy?   https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7456984

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-buy-ip7-7-models-are-subject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-polic...

An Apple employee not knowing this fact makes no difference - it is Apples server that locks, and unlocks phones to carriers, per that carriers lock policy.  For example; activation on Verizon postpaid has no lock policy and the phone would not ever be locked thereafter, even if you switched to AT&T later.  

The lock is triggered the first time you activate with iTunes.  It doesn’t matter how long you had the account, the lock is on the PHONE.   

You can file a BBB or FCC complaint and someone from upper management will contact you.  You can use your proof of purchase to get an exception.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
Tutor

Thanks for the response. I did fail a BBB complaint yesterday. I have received conflicting information from many at both Apple and AT&T. The final word is that my phone will be approved for an unlock on January 29. I’m not convinced. My prepaid service expires after today, and my Verizon plan has already been activated, just waiting to port my number today. I’ll be out of a phone for 2 days and I’m worried about receiving a denied request on the 29th. I just don’t agree with a locking policy if the phone has been purchased outright. You would think Apple and AT&T employees would be aware and acknowledge this. I do understand and agree with a prepaid phone lock if you buy through them at a discount rate, or post pay if the phone is financed. AT&T terms and conditions for prepaid do not mention a 6 month lock. 

Message 5 of 8
Tutor

@lizdance40 I have confirmed the phone was universal from Best Buy. Apple also let me know about this and that the phone locks to the first carrier in which the sim is inserted. So we know this policy exists, yet AT&T has denied 3 cases to unlock the device. Why will they not unlock it and how is this legal? 

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Sage

Did you provide proof of purchase?   

File an FCC complaint while you can.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8
Tutor

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support