For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
brownk69's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 27th, 2017 3:31 PM

AT&T Unlock Portal says IMEI is not an AT&T device

I purchased an iphone 6 from a friend who recently upgraded to a new phone. I'm attempting to unlock the phone to use for my wife on T-mobile. AT&T Customer care said they can't help..... I put the t-mobile SIM in and it tells me that the phone is locked and i need to contact the previous carrier. However AT&T portal and customer care tells me the IMEI is not an AT&T phone. I'm not sure what to do now to get this devic unlocked, can anyone assist? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Contact Apple to find out who it's locked to.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I was actually on hold with Apple when i typed the original post. Turns out the phone at one point was replaced via AppleCare. The IMEI of the replacement device was not what AT&T had in their system(thus the error when trying to unlock). The Apple tech was able to provide me the IMEI of the original device. I was than able to successfully unlock the phone through the portal using the original IMEI. I was cautiously optimistic. Within 10 minutes the request was approved and i was able to activate the device on T-mo. I waited on hold for 50 minutes with Apple so was very thankful to get a tec h who had come across this situation before.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.