The new iPhone 15
Louis147's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, November 29th, 2018 7:02 PM

AT&T Support for eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I purchased an iPhone XS Max with dual sim (eSIM and nano SIM) capability.  The phone is unlocked and I currently have a AT&T nano SIM Card installed and operational.  Both Verizon and AT&T tell me that programming for the eSIM is not currently available from each respective carrier.  This inquiry is post deployment of IOS 12.1 which added the dual SIM compatible software.  Does anyone know whether AT&T or Verizon have scheduled a date for use of the eSIM?  I'd like to add Verizon service to my iPhone XS Max, but first I need to either Verizon or AT&T to offer eSIM activation for their respective service. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

No you don’t need a new line or number!
Try other AT&T stores. It’s best to call first to see if they are ready for eSIM. I had my eSIM activated in about 10 minutes. They just need your XS to scan the QR code using WiFi. They might send a text to your AT&T number first to confirm that it’s you along with your ID (driver’s license). That’s it.

Now I have ATT eSIM and my Verizon SIM card. I can also select which provider I want to use for my cellular Data.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

By the end of the year was the last I heard.  Apple has to issue a patch to fix some of the issues the carriers are gripping about.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

ACE - Expert.  Thank you.  Your response contains more information than I have been able to obtain directly from both AT&T and Verizon.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same question. I called ATT last Friday and they told me they have not received any update from Apple. Now that we have eSIM support in iOS 12.1 I’m not sure what else we need to wait until we can setup eSIM with ATT.  

I too want to use ATT eSIM and the nano SIM from Verizon. This way I can switch my ATT eSIM with the eSIM from the country I visit and leave my Verizon nano SIM as the permanent primary number. 

My understanding is we can setup multiple eSIMs but only one can be active at a time.

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

5 years ago

What is needed is:

1) For AT&T to officially announce they support eSIMs for the latest iPhones.

2) Provide instructions on how to use and/or swap to eSIMs, and their policy on how it works with locked phones and one of the SIMs being from another carrier

and, most importantly,

3) Training their all CS and store personnel on how to set up, activate, and use eSIMs

I don’t think AT&T has really done any of this, especially the last one.  There have been sporadic reports of some people getting them done at certain stores, but it seems to be hit and miss with finding a tech savvy store rep, and the official word does not seem to have gotten out.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Apple still has yet to release 12.1.1.  I have it as a dev account.  Esim works but voicemail and a Verizon account in the Sim slot is only 2g on 12.1 as of 12.1.1 all that was fixed.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks!
I’ll wait for the next iOS 12.1.1.
I hope it’s coming soon since I’ll be traveling in January. I’m using dual nano SIMs now but not on iPhone.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks! I went to the AT&T store last week and they told me to call ATT. The person who answered the phone didn’t even know what an eSIM was but then later told me they are waiting for the software updates from Apple.
I guess it will not be ready until 12.1.1 update according to the comments from “ACE - Expert”.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just went to an AT&T store in Atlanta and was told that eSIM support won't be available until late January, when "the bugs get worked out".

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@FWGFWG wrote:

Just went to an AT&T store in Atlanta and was told that eSIM support won't be available until late January, when "the bugs get worked out".

I love how the stores just throw dates around when they have not even been told.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.