The new iPhone 15
vduarte's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, June 11th, 2018 1:52 AM

AT&T Scammed me - Up to $200 turn in your old phone

I purchased the iPhone X with ATT because they had a $200 trade in special going on.  I mailed ATT in their supplied pouch a iPhone 5 128gig gold edition as my trade in.  Besides some normal wear, it was in fantastic shape.  I received my promotional card after waiting many weeks only to find out it had $20.90 on it...  WHAT?!?  I tried to call ATT to find out what was going on only to be transferred to many different divisions only to be finally told to go into an ATT store... then only to be told by the people at the store they were not the right people.  Finally a manager of the store made a couple calls and found out that the reason I received so little was due to a crack in the phone.  This was a lie or was damaged in shipping or at ATT.  I asked for pictures and was told I would receive them, never did.  I was told someone would get back in touch with me, no one has.  I could have easily gotten $150 at a garage sale for this phone, but now after sending the phone in the ATT provided pouch, adding insurance on the postage, more than a month later all I have is a card with $20 on it.. I can't very much make a claim on the shipping after this long and with no proof.  I believe I was scammed.  No one has ever followed up with me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi, I also took advantage of this "deal" I traded a galaxy s7 phone for an iphone 8 and was as well under the impression I would get more than what I got back. I got 30.40 for the phone that had no damage to it at all and was only a year or so old. I'm really not happy about any of this.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Dreid1

If you used the AT&T website linked in post 4, it helps you estimate your phones trade in value from ATT.   

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for responding and voicing your opinion of this deliberate scam by ATT.
Anyone with a brain can tell you that a Galaxy S7 or iPhone 5 in great condition should have been given more than $20-$30.
What is disgustingly sad is ATT won't even try and make this right, they just have their employees respond to these messages like we should have known NO ONE GETs the stated up to $200 trade-in value. Bottom line, you are a sucker if you use the AT&T Trade-in Program.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@vduarte wrote:

Anyone with a brain can tell you that a Galaxy S7 or iPhone 5 in great condition should have been given more than $20-$30.
What is disgustingly sad is ATT won't even try and make this right, they just have their employees respond to these messages like we should have known NO ONE GETs the stated up to $200 trade-in value. Bottom line, you are a sucker if you use the AT&T Trade-in Program.

I would expect AT&T to pay less as they are going to turn around and sell it to someone else.

Gazelle offers $10 for an UNLOCKED iPhone 5.

https://www.gazelle.com/iphone/iphone-5/unlocked/iphone-5-16gb-unlocked/495494-gpid

But I see they have $20 listed https://tradein.att.com for iPhone 5.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@vduarte You can call it anything you want except scam since you can easily determine ATT’s projected trade in value online before trading it in. There are also no responses from any employees on this thread. Personally, I would never use ATT’s tradein program because it is not a good deal but still not a scam. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

You are right.   You were scammed just like me.   Tried to get it corrected and went around the world with nothing coming out of it.   They are horrible to do that to people.   Next time I will sell it outright and forget about their offer. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Pam1958

You might have read the thread.  Or for that matter, read the offer and estimated your trade in.  

FYI Gazelle is always within 50¢ of at&t’s Offer.     

The trade in value of any phone will be no more than 50%, if mint and a week after release.  

PAY ATTENTION and actually go through the estimates.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.