The new iPhone 15
jgruss01's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011 2:44 AM

3GS Personal Hotspot constantly searching. Can't disable

I somehow have enabled the Personal Hotspot feature on my 3GS iPhone.  I don't want to use this but I don't see a way to turn the feature off.  It only show that it is searching and when I touch the option it does nothing.  I don't have Bluetooth enabled or 3G.  I have Cellular Data enabled since I have an old unlimited data plan.  Any idea on how to disable this feature.  I am running 4.3.3 on the phone.

Thanks,

Joel

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Try a reset or restart of the phone.

When you go into the network settings, you should only get the spinning circle for a second or two and then it changes to "Set Up Personal Hotspot".  At least that is what happens on my 3GS.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@jgruss01 wrote:

I somehow have enabled the Personal Hotspot feature on my 3GS iPhone. 

I have an old unlimited data plan. 

These two statements are mutually exclusive, unless you've jailbroken your phone.

I suggest you call in, and verify you are still on the unlimited data plan - if for some reason you have been switched to the $45 hotspot plan (which is the only way you should be able to see the hotspot feature - otherwise it should say "Set up Personal Hotspot" in settings) explain that you had no intention of switching to that plan, and hopefully they can switch you back.

Do try the power off/power on reboot of your phone first, but I would check your plan as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Just did a hard reset on the phone and restored.  The Hotspot option is now back to asking for you to select "Set Up Personal Hotspot".  The spinning wheel is gone.  I also checked with AT&T and I still have my Enterprise Unlimited data plan.  So.... problem resolved.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Joel

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I tried that but it never seems to stop.  I am currently on the phone with AT&T so we'll see if they know how to disable the feature.

Joel

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

On the phone with tech support and they have told me to turn off the feature, click on Personal Hotspot.  I explained that was the problem.  They now understand the phone seems to be searching for something.  AT&T doesn't seem to know how to fix it.  The technical support tech is very nice and she is trying to find an answer.  I think I will need to take it to the Apple Store and have them check the phone.  It seems to be in some type of setup loop for the Hotspot.  Really odd.

I use the phone for business and it hasn't been jailbroken.  Never saw the need to jailbreak the phone.

Joel

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.