Posted Jun 30, 2012
7:12:30 AM
updated to ics on Galaxy S2 and now no notification sounds

i updated two days ago via kies on my computer, i have no notification sounds.  i have checked volume and any "silent" options and i should be getting something.  thank goodness i have a notification app... noLED  so i can at least SEE that i have a text or email

any help.. please ?

thank you

i updated two days ago via kies on my computer, i have no notification sounds.  i have checked volume and any "silent" options and i should be getting something.  thank goodness i have a notification app... noLED  so i can at least SEE that i have a text or email

any help.. please ?

thank you

updated to ics on Galaxy S2 and now no notification sounds

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 9:11:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue, no notification sounds or vibration. They do show in the notification bar and the phone lights up, just no sound/vibration alerts. 

I've tried setting and resetting them specifically in the applications, still nothing.

Any thoughts?

I have the same issue, no notification sounds or vibration. They do show in the notification bar and the phone lights up, just no sound/vibration alerts. 

I've tried setting and resetting them specifically in the applications, still nothing.

Any thoughts?

Re: updated to ics on Galaxy S2 and now no notification sounds

2 of 31 (7,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 1:46:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here....i find if i restart the phone, i get notification sounds for a while but then lose them again

Same problem here....i find if i restart the phone, i get notification sounds for a while but then lose them again

3 of 31 (7,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2012 11:05:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
i hope they have a fix for this soon... it is very annoying
i hope they have a fix for this soon... it is very annoying

4 of 31 (7,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2012 2:26:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm having the same issue. Have to restart my phone several times a day to get my notifications working again.

I'm having the same issue. Have to restart my phone several times a day to get my notifications working again.

5 of 31 (7,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2012 5:47:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
I hope at&t is working on a solution.
I hope at&t is working on a solution.

6 of 31 (7,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2012 8:21:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just reporting back that I have found no resolution yet. As mentioned above, restarting fixes the notifications for an undetermined amount of time, then they go missing again.

Just reporting back that I have found no resolution yet. As mentioned above, restarting fixes the notifications for an undetermined amount of time, then they go missing again.

7 of 31 (7,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2012 3:00:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

I did the update last week.  The problem I had was that when a notification (text, facebook, twitter) came in, sometimes the phone alerted with the ringtone and sometimes it came in silent.  Samsung said that they could fix it in 6 business days.  I did a factory reset and ATT sent 5 ota programs to install on the phone.  No luck.  Today the ATT warranty center downgraded to the old operating system (gingerbread?).  So we will see what happens.  I don't think I will try the upgrade again.  I guess the new software will have to come with a new phone.

I did the update last week.  The problem I had was that when a notification (text, facebook, twitter) came in, sometimes the phone alerted with the ringtone and sometimes it came in silent.  Samsung said that they could fix it in 6 business days.  I did a factory reset and ATT sent 5 ota programs to install on the phone.  No luck.  Today the ATT warranty center downgraded to the old operating system (gingerbread?).  So we will see what happens.  I don't think I will try the upgrade again.  I guess the new software will have to come with a new phone.

8 of 31 (7,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2012 8:33:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

ATT warranty center downgraded? What does that mean? 

I sure hope they become aware of the issue soon.

ATT warranty center downgraded? What does that mean? 

I sure hope they become aware of the issue soon.

9 of 31 (6,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2012 11:30:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

It means they will flash the previous version that was on the phone before you did the upgrade using your pc.

It means they will flash the previous version that was on the phone before you did the upgrade using your pc.

10 of 31 (6,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 12:16:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S2 after the update. The phone just will not notify me of anything and it is really annoying. I have tried everything but luckily AT&T is nice enough to send me out a new phone. I hope that the new one works with the update because I enjoy all of the other features

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S2 after the update. The phone just will not notify me of anything and it is really annoying. I have tried everything but luckily AT&T is nice enough to send me out a new phone. I hope that the new one works with the update because I enjoy all of the other features

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S2 after the updat...

11 of 31 (6,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:55:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine won't vibrate upon reciept of a text or e-mail either after ICS either.

Some other boards have said to open Messaging, hit the Menu button and select settings, and Vibration is at the bottom, but that setting does not exist on my phone.

Mine won't vibrate upon reciept of a text or e-mail either after ICS either.

Some other boards have said to open Messaging, hit the Menu button and select settings, and Vibration is at the bottom, but that setting does not exist on my phone.

Re: I have the same problem with my Galaxy S2 after the updat...

12 of 31 (6,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2012 6:21:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

Since ATT downgraded my phone to the gingerbread, I have no problems with the notifications.  I would recommed that you have ATT downgrade you phone to the previous operating system. 

Since ATT downgraded my phone to the gingerbread, I have no problems with the notifications.  I would recommed that you have ATT downgrade you phone to the previous operating system. 

13 of 31 (6,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 9:50:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

Wondering if anyone has gotten anymore info on this issue.

Wondering if anyone has gotten anymore info on this issue.

14 of 31 (6,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2012 7:34:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

Still no updates? Anyone found a solution?

Still no updates? Anyone found a solution?

15 of 31 (6,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2012 8:05:36 AM
(0)
Professor

Factory resetting? It usually fixes problems

Factory resetting? It usually fixes problems

16 of 31 (6,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2012 9:26:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

I called AT&T yesterday and was referred to Samsung.  Samsung instructed me to do a factory reset.  Doing a factory reset seems to have resolved the issue for me.

I called AT&T yesterday and was referred to Samsung.  Samsung instructed me to do a factory reset.  Doing a factory reset seems to have resolved the issue for me.

17 of 31 (6,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 3:37:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's been my experience that after i did a factory restore that the issue returned.

It's been my experience that after i did a factory restore that the issue returned.

18 of 31 (6,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 3:57:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

I did a factory reset and it did not help. I went back to Gingerbread...

I did a factory reset and it did not help. I went back to Gingerbread...

19 of 31 (6,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 11:45:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

Seems like the only solution until this bug is fixed is to return to Gingerbread and wait for ICS to be patched. Have to go to a service center i guess.

Seems like the only solution until this bug is fixed is to return to Gingerbread and wait for ICS to be patched. Have to go to a service center i guess.

20 of 31 (6,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2012 3:25:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by albinorhino81 on Aug 13, 2012 at 3:26:16 PM

Agreed. I have tried everything. It is frustrating that this update has such a fundamental glitch! Did they not notice during testing that a bunch of phones stopped ringing or receiving text messages? Pretty poor testing.

So how to I get the phone reverted?  I hope AT&T replies to this thread that a fix is in the works.

Agreed. I have tried everything. It is frustrating that this update has such a fundamental glitch! Did they not notice during testing that a bunch of phones stopped ringing or receiving text messages? Pretty poor testing.

So how to I get the phone reverted?  I hope AT&T replies to this thread that a fix is in the works.

[ Edited ]
21 of 31 (6,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2012 7:53:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
You can't get GingerBread back. I complained and they gave me a new S3. Go to the store and do a bit of fussing. They will send you a new phone but can't guarantee that it won't have ICS on it. Mine was heating up, no battery life, no email, no text, freezing up...and they tried to blame a third party app. They know that there is a problem. Go to the store.
You can't get GingerBread back. I complained and they gave me a new S3. Go to the store and do a bit of fussing. They will send you a new phone but can't guarantee that it won't have ICS on it. Mine was heating up, no battery life, no email, no text, freezing up...and they tried to blame a third party app. They know that there is a problem. Go to the store.

22 of 31 (6,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 8:13:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

hzmt22193 wrote:

How do you ever get anyone at ATT to agree to do the downgrade back to Gingerbread.  I have been begging for it for over a month through one replacement already.  I know it is the IceCream Sandwich that is causing the problem, but nobody is listening.

hzmt22193 wrote:

How do you ever get anyone at ATT to agree to do the downgrade back to Gingerbread.  I have been begging for it for over a month through one replacement already.  I know it is the IceCream Sandwich that is causing the problem, but nobody is listening.

23 of 31 (5,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 2:13:39 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by estoril on Oct 8, 2012 at 2:15:43 PM

Does anyone else have a suggestion on this? My wife's phone has been experiencing this issue ever since she upgraded to ICS.

Last week the phone actually died, nothing would power it on. We took it into the warranty center and got it replaced but it also has ICS on it.

Same exact problem, after a reboot notifications will sometimes work for an hour or so then it just goes silent. Before we left I had asked the service reps to downgrade it to GB because of the issues caused with ICS and they refused. Is there no fixing this?!?!

Does anyone else have a suggestion on this? My wife's phone has been experiencing this issue ever since she upgraded to ICS.

Last week the phone actually died, nothing would power it on. We took it into the warranty center and got it replaced but it also has ICS on it.

Same exact problem, after a reboot notifications will sometimes work for an hour or so then it just goes silent. Before we left I had asked the service reps to downgrade it to GB because of the issues caused with ICS and they refused. Is there no fixing this?!?!

[ Edited ]
24 of 31 (5,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 2:59:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
My most recent issue was back in August. If I used a "speed dial#", such as the number 1 for voice mail, it would dial the number, but the screen went black. To hang up I had to remove the back and take out the battery. I took it to the service center. After 3 phones they finally got one that wouldn't do that. I am still not 100%, but a whole lot better.
My most recent issue was back in August. If I used a "speed dial#", such as the number 1 for voice mail, it would dial the number, but the screen went black. To hang up I had to remove the back and take out the battery. I took it to the service center. After 3 phones they finally got one that wouldn't do that. I am still not 100%, but a whole lot better.

25 of 31 (5,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 10:00:04 PM
(0)
Teacher
I am also on my third replacement phone. Received it two Fridays ago and by Saturday morning the text notifications went out. I've also noticed that the first thing to go out on these devices is the screen lock sound. Kinda weird I guess. Called today and the att guy had me do some *#*# combination and said that I might have some sort of virus on my sim card. So he had me save my pics and contacts elsewhere and supposedly wiped everything off my phone. Well see if that helps. Btw the lock sound already went out. They're supposed to call me back tomorrow and see what's up. I'll keep you guys posted.
I am also on my third replacement phone. Received it two Fridays ago and by Saturday morning the text notifications went out. I've also noticed that the first thing to go out on these devices is the screen lock sound. Kinda weird I guess. Called today and the att guy had me do some *#*# combination and said that I might have some sort of virus on my sim card. So he had me save my pics and contacts elsewhere and supposedly wiped everything off my phone. Well see if that helps. Btw the lock sound already went out. They're supposed to call me back tomorrow and see what's up. I'll keep you guys posted.

26 of 31 (5,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2012 7:00:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

My phone is still under warranty.  So the warranty center re-flashed the gingerbread OS back on.

My phone is still under warranty.  So the warranty center re-flashed the gingerbread OS back on.

27 of 31 (4,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2012 4:19:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

The call center said that factory flashed phones may not have the problem that mine that was upgraded through Kies had. I didn't really believe them, but I got a warranty replacement and I've actually gotten notified on text messages for the last week with ICS installed. Fingers crossed, but hopefully it's fixed. It was a pain getting numbers transfered though. I had to copy them to my memory card and then restore them from there. Using the sim, exporting to file and loading to google contacts and Kies all failed me.

The call center said that factory flashed phones may not have the problem that mine that was upgraded through Kies had. I didn't really believe them, but I got a warranty replacement and I've actually gotten notified on text messages for the last week with ICS installed. Fingers crossed, but hopefully it's fixed. It was a pain getting numbers transfered though. I had to copy them to my memory card and then restore them from there. Using the sim, exporting to file and loading to google contacts and Kies all failed me.

28 of 31 (4,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 7:42:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Update, my new factory flashed S2 didn't notify me on texts this weekend. It appears to be a software issue that is not affected by how the phone is upgraded to ICS. I'm very upset and hope to have time to call AT&T later today.
Update, my new factory flashed S2 didn't notify me on texts this weekend. It appears to be a software issue that is not affected by how the phone is upgraded to ICS. I'm very upset and hope to have time to call AT&T later today.

29 of 31 (4,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 8:03:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me, but I think I figured it out...

1. Under settings, click "sound"

2. Checked all the boxes under "system" including keytones, touch sounds, screen lock sound, and vibrate on screen tap

3. Vibrate and ring is checked "ringtone and notifications"

4. For "vibration intensity" I turned ringtone and notification all the way up, and vibrate on screen tap all the way down

Hopefully that works for you guys

Same thing happened to me, but I think I figured it out...

1. Under settings, click "sound"

2. Checked all the boxes under "system" including keytones, touch sounds, screen lock sound, and vibrate on screen tap

3. Vibrate and ring is checked "ringtone and notifications"

4. For "vibration intensity" I turned ringtone and notification all the way up, and vibrate on screen tap all the way down

Hopefully that works for you guys

30 of 31 (3,843 Views)