For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
appatucker's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 11th, 2014 6:20 PM

unlocking wireless phone

We have been AT&T customers for over 24 years and we have all our phones, TV and internet with you.  Our daughter is starting graduate school in Europe and we would like for her to be able to use her 4G phone while she is there for 2 years.  The best option for her there is to get a sim card to use the phone in Europe and then use her US card when home.  I have been told that because she has about a year remaining on her phone contract you will not unlock the phone.  We are not intending to move to another carrier, besides only T-Mobile would be compatible, and we would still be paying for that phone each month whether she uses her plan here or not. We spend a lot of money each year for your services and have been loyal customers so I would appreciate your reconsidering your position on unlocking her phone. If you will unlock the phones deployed US military why not and graduate student studying internationally.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

This is a user to user forum, so you're not actually talking to AT&T.

The unlocking request page is here:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If you have been a customer for 24 years, you should have a small pile of old phones around - all of which could be unlocked, and used in Europe. Failing that you can always buy a carrier unlocked phone for user in Europe. Unless your current phones meet the requirements outlined above they cannot be unlocked.

Best of luck.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just before you ask AT&T to unlocked your phone to use in Europe.
May I know what brand,make & type of phone you have?
As you may know, EU countries used different mobile phone bands than North America.
Some phones sold under AT&T will not work in Europe!!

And most T mobile USA phones are not working in EU as they say.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I would have her just buy a Moto G or E when she gets over there.  Or you can order one from Motorola.  You can buy unlocked globel smart phones on moto's website.  The moto g is only 179.99 or the E is 129.99

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just for your info.
All mobile phones sold in UK are locked.

But....................some small phone repair shops can do unlocking for you starting

from GBP 10 .

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I myself when we goto UK and EU next year will just buy 2 moto e's or g's globel unlocked.  That away I dont have to worry about it.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

You just need to download all the APN .MMS .SMS setting as soon as you know which network you're using in UK. 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Search APN manager on the app store great app for when you travel.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes,that app works.
 But some APN setting inside that app are outdated 😞

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.