The Samsung Galaxy S24
Agunat's profile

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 8:34 PM

switch from Apple to Android?

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

Thanks in advance... Bob

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

11 years ago

They are both very mature and great OS's. Anyone that says otherwise has extreme bias. For me the fundamental difference is this:

Apple has a great eco system of products that play very well together. They also have a good set of defaults and spend a lot of time figuring out how things should be done. If you like the Apple ecosystem, don't mind being locked in it and are happy with they way Apple has decided their equipment should be used, then stick with Apple.

If you want to be override things like which keyboard is used, what browser opens up when you click a link in your email, and which gps app to use, then you'll be happier with Android. If you don't use iTunes or don't want to be locked into always buying things from the iTunes store, then go Android.

For an example of being locked in, I had a 3GS and went to a Galaxy S2 (now on S3). I was unhappy with the Apple keyboard, but was stuck with it on the iPhone. When I got the S2, I liked Samsung's better but didn't love it. I didn't really like swipe at the time and someone pointed me to Swiftkey which had amazing word prediction based on your previous sentences instead of just the current word you're typing. I used that for a long and just recently switched to Google's new keyboard which has the best of swipe and swiftkey all in one. I was constantly frustrated when typing with iOS and couldn't do anything about it. With Android I can fix it.

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

11 years ago

Bob, you should take an S4 for a test drive before buying. I used to own a 4S and it was a child's toy (i.e. Fisher Price) in comparison to Android. It constantly froze and even being jailbroken, it was slow. If you need a phone to just send text messages, make calls and occasionally look something up on the internet, then Apple will do just fine.

Most people I know who have switched from Apple to Android never looked back. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting...

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your input.  A am also considering the new Note coming out soon but on the old one the screen wasn't as nice as the S4's but well see what it looks like when it gets here (also, the price of course).  I whole heartedy agree about trying out one first except Verizion's policies don't encourage that.  Their 14 day return plocy is pretty short and they want a $40 (approx.) restocking fee even if you only keep it 14 hours.  That's why I am trying to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge.  In a way it's good that I am not eligible for an upgrade before the end of the month as the new Note and iPhone should be coming out shortly thereafter.

Bob

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

Try it out at the store for a bit of if you have any friends with and android phone. I went from a iPhone 4 then to a gs2 skyrocket and haven't looked back (also a gs3 and now gs4). It takes some time to get used to but is worth it and the keyboard options alone is a great reason to try it out. Reports have said the note 3 will have a 5.68 inch screen 1080p which probably puts the ppi around a high 300 range probably. It also supposedly going to get 3gb of ram as well. And honestly as far as between the s4 and note 3 unless you really want the s-pen the extra 100 bucks for only a. 68 of a inch bigger isn't worth it but then again 3gb of ram as well could be good. 🙂

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the kind of information I was
looking for.

Bob

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

I would not bet on the next iPhone having a larger screen than the Iphone 5.  Apple just changed their screen size on the iPhone 5, and its the first time they have done so in 6 generations (and 6 years) of the iPhone.  Frequent changes of screen size will lead to greater fragmentation of the OS, something that Android is heavily criticized for, and something that Apple touts as an "advantage" (lack of fragmentation).  Plus, history shows that major form factor changes on the iPhone only occur every 2 years, with the "in-between" models being just incremental improvements (slightly faster processor, more storage, and updated OS).  I fully expect the next iPhone to just be the "5S", with slight improvement over the present model (and no change in the form factor).  Of course, there is always a tiny chance that Apple will move from their existing business model (and make more drastic changed to the iPhone this year), particulary in light of losing significant market share to Android.  But my money would be on Apple staying the course.

As others have mentioned, both operating systems (iOS and Android) are great.  They both allow the same functions you would expect on your smartphone, and they both work great.  Any difference between the two is largely a matter of personal preference and your individual wants/needs.

If you are heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, and have a lot of paid apps and games, and have other Apple devices (iPad, Mac, etc.)  it might be the right choice for your to just stay with the iPhone.  Many app developers (big named games, in particular) are lazy and only develop for the iPhone (back to the Android fragmentation issue).  Some of the apps you like might not exist on Android (although there may be comparable ones).  If the same apps do exist on Android, you might be able to contact the developer, tell them you are swithing devices, and get the app for free on Android.  But there is no guarantee of this, and it has to be done on an individual (developer by developer) basis.  There is simply no way to just "migrate" your app purchases from iOS to Android.  And you might need to just bite the bullet, and purchase the app again.

On the other hand, as you already know, there are more hardware choices on Android.  Customers can pick a device that suits them (instead of Apple's "one form factor fits all" business model).  If you really crave a larger screen, then Android is probably your best choice.  The fragmentation issue is at the same time Androids biggest disadvantage, and biggest advantage, at the same time.  Android is also vastly more customizable and more open.

Don't worry too much about the learning curve.  Yes, things are setup differently.  But remember that these devices are made to be user-freindly, for the average person to be able to figure out.  Things may seem cumbersome on Android at first.  But within days, things will feel natural.  If you can't figure something out, simply search Google for how to do it (and hey, its right there on the phone!).  Or if you are really stumped, just come back on here, and we'll help you out!

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

Unless you have about 100 dollars of apps invested in Apple or Android shouldnt stop you from changing because just because of that investment wont stop from being bored with the OS 🙂

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

I agree. Google finally got the keyboard right!!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I've been an iPhone user since 2008. I crave a larger screen, which now appears to be a year away.

This year's updated 5S looks to include a fingerprint reader. (The NSA doesn't have enough data already?) 

I've been testing out iOS 7, which is a nice enhancement but I need more. 

I've ordered an HTC One after reading a lot about Android phones. Not giving up my iPhone just yet but rather, testing them out, side-by-side. I enjoy the stability of iOS but it's getting just a bit tired. Making a plastic iPhone is not want I want either.

I'm sure there will be things I like and things I don't like about Android. At least with Android, I have a wide choice of screens sizes, with Apple, I don't. (Yes, I know 4S to 5 was a slight increase)

I use a Mac, which works seamlessly with my iPhone. That part, I enjoy.

I've read about a lot of people in the forums, who've made the switch to Android and never looked back. 

I don't know if I will be one of those people but at least I am starting to open my eyes. 

I don't wanna be part of the iSheep forever. It's a big world and we all have choices.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I prefer Android after using iOS, but I would consider iOS again if Apple adds NFC to the iPhone.  If you have an open mind, you can at least get comfortable with Android.  Most people will end up prefering one or the other but the hatred that you see online from some users is a bit overblown to me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.