The Samsung Galaxy S24
clairesun05's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 12th, 2013 7:12 PM

some iphone 5 users cannot receive my messages sending from my Samsung Galaxy S 3

Hi all,

Does anyone have the same problem with me? Some of my friends who using iphone (5 or 4s) can total not be able to receive my messages or receive it delayed a lot. I can receive message from them and other phone users. I consulted ATT customer service for help, but they said it might be the problem between devices not the network. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

have you recently switched devices from iphone to gs3?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

No. I never used iphone before. This gs3 is my first smart phone. But one thing I can confirm is that the users that cannot receive my text message are all iphone users. So I think it maybe the problem between gs3 and iphone... 😞

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

How much of delay are we talking about here?

To be clear, this is just a text SMS to a single iPhone, not a "group message" (to more than one recipient) or a picture/video MMS?

Its strange, an SMS should not be delayed, regardless of the device.  iPhones handle SMS a little differently ("iMessage").  But that shouldn't make a difference.  I text my friends that own iPhones very frequently from my Android phone, with no issues.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Ran into same problem in the past. All I did was ask everyone who had an iPhone with my number to change description from iPhone to mobile under contacts. That should solve the problem. Apple has set the default to iPhone when add new contacts.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Ukcain wrote:

Ran into same problem in the past. All I did was ask everyone who had an iPhone with my number to change description from iPhone to mobile under contacts. That should solve the problem. Apple has set the default to iPhone when add new contacts.

Interesting.  I would think this problem would be much more pervasive if this were the case.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

11 years ago

@UKcain is correct- my sister and I had this issue. It isn't so much the iPhone/Apple assumes everyone is using iMessage, as iMessage assumes everyone is going to use it to interact with the phone. My sister not only had to change the description as noted above, I also had to sign in to iMessage on my iMac (Keep in mind - I had never used it or signed in before), and completely sign out of it (there is an option in the iMessage app to "disassociate" or something like that), and then she had to remove me from her contacts and re-add me correctly without any reference to iMessage/ using an iDevice (this was all as per the Apple "Genius" bar in the Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD - no idea if it is the only or official way to fix it but it did eventually work). I believe she also had to delete the message threads we had, it was quite a mess.
Granted, this was ~2 months after iMessage came out, maybe (hopefully) they've patched some of this since then. I also think the guy said it makes a difference if you were an existing contact "co-opted" by iMessage when the person updated the software and began using iMessage, or if you were added as a contact while iMessage is the main messaging client. Either way the app is way too aggressive in how it operates...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I have a similar issue, several people are not getting my SMS texts(I found 2 iphone users) but I can recieve, and but a MMS works fine. I know its not their phone since I never see a log of the text in the usage report on ATT.  Texts that do work, show up in usage. I know its not my phone since I tried another smart phone that I'm not using. (one phone is a Nexus 5, other is an HTC one.)

I spoke to ATT and they did in fact troubleshoot, resetting my account, but no effect. Could it be my sim?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Had this same problem when my wife switched from Iphone to Note 3. First thing to do is remove sim card from the old Iphone as it is still transmitting data with Imessage and Icloud which is keeping the user ID related phone number active. Thus IMessage system still thinks it is a good account/number. Secondly you can go into Itunes and delete out your associated phone number however when I did this it said that it was done, and I still had the issue occuring. So after  a good old call to Apple support, I found out that even though I deactivated the hone number in Itunes, their sytem automatically assigned a disconnect date 3 months out for the association...... (I think this is to help frustrate people from switching to samsung/android)

Now in a nutshell.... Just call Apple support and have them remove your phone number association from the imessage.... They will send you a confirmation text while you are on with them to verify it is actually your number and once you read it back to them they will resolve the problem.

Hope this helps....

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Note2Rocks, did you confirm from your usage log on ATT that those texts actually sent out from ATT? In my case I can't see how iMessage from an old iPhone could screw up and outgoing text and not ever show up as sent from ATT's system.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Damian,

When you register your Iphone via itunes, Apple's Imessage system becomes proprietary apparently based on Phone Number, whether or not you have Imesage active or not on the Iphone. I verifed this by turning off all imessage functions on the old iphone even though the number had been moved to the new SIM card, it appears that the data signal still transmits to apples servers thus when I connectted up the old Iphone to WIFI low and behold the missing texts appeared on the old Iphone. It appears that however messaging is propogated on the data networks that Imessage becomes the first route. Thus when tested only when othercontacts who still have active Iphones and turned off their Imessage on their end, were able to send texts to the Note 3. I personally suspect after looking inot this and finding the root cause, that with the growth of Samsung's market share combined with a less than stellar roll out of the 5S and C/IOS 7 Apple is controlling things in an attempt to frustrate customers who are jumping ship. Even though my wife loved the Note 3's bigger screen her first reaction was "It's samsung's fault I didnt get my texts" and was ready to go back to the store and switch her upgrade to another Iphone even though it wasnt what she wanted. When she listened in and realized that Apple was controlling things.....She was @#$%^ off and will never go back to Iphone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.