Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 30, 2014
8:32:54 AM
View profile
s3 KitKat (4.4.2) Update timetable?
Can At&t actually disperse relevant information about this update since it screwed us with 4.3 update that we where kept in the dark then where stuck with a buggy mess. Have 8 months left on contract and like many others will be stuck in contract with an outdated phone.
Can At&t actually disperse relevant information about this update since it screwed us with 4.3 update that we where kept in the dark then where stuck with a buggy mess. Have 8 months left on contract and like many others will be stuck in contract with an outdated phone.

s3 KitKat (4.4.2) Update timetable?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 9:29:24 AM
(0)
Employee

I thought these were manufacturer updates? my nokia updates come from microsoft not AT&T

I thought these were manufacturer updates? my nokia updates come from microsoft not AT&T

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: s3 KitKat (4.4.2) Update timetable?

2 of 16 (7,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 9:59:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes and no, Google releases them to the manuftures, manufactures to the carriers then the carriers to people.  ATT is the absolute worst at letting PAYING customers know when important updates will happen to their phones that they are under contract.  4.3 is a piece of garbage that took a good phone and turned it it a constant problem.

Yes and no, Google releases them to the manuftures, manufactures to the carriers then the carriers to people.  ATT is the absolute worst at letting PAYING customers know when important updates will happen to their phones that they are under contract.  4.3 is a piece of garbage that took a good phone and turned it it a constant problem.

3 of 16 (7,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 7:53:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well, the fact that Sprint has released the KitKat update on their S3 is good news for us regardless. We usually get our updates after Sprint so I would expect it by June, but I haven't seen anything confirming that time either. It's  just a hunch based on previous information I heard and past experiences. The sooner the better. AT&T S3 owners have suffered long enough with this dreadful 4.3 firmware. 

Well, the fact that Sprint has released the KitKat update on their S3 is good news for us regardless. We usually get our updates after Sprint so I would expect it by June, but I haven't seen anything confirming that time either. It's  just a hunch based on previous information I heard and past experiences. The sooner the better. AT&T S3 owners have suffered long enough with this dreadful 4.3 firmware. 

4 of 16 (7,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 6:49:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
AT&T needs to push the bloatware with it. SO I believe they scrub the update...I could be wrong though
AT&T needs to push the bloatware with it. SO I believe they scrub the update...I could be wrong though

5 of 16 (6,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:28:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
Once again att fails to keep us in the loop, all we have is conjuncture and rumor. There is no way sprint released it the day they received the update. Att has the update.
Once again att fails to keep us in the loop, all we have is conjuncture and rumor. There is no way sprint released it the day they received the update. Att has the update.

6 of 16 (6,655 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 10:18:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The answer to this would be it's ready when it's ready. =)

Unfortunately no carrier can promise a specific date for release as the builds go through very extensive testing and if any bugs are found, it is sent back to the manufacturer who would then build a completely new build to address those issues. Then the carrier would test the build and if it's all ironed out, only then is it released to the consumer Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
The answer to this would be it's ready when it's ready. =)

Unfortunately no carrier can promise a specific date for release as the builds go through very extensive testing and if any bugs are found, it is sent back to the manufacturer who would then build a completely new build to address those issues. Then the carrier would test the build and if it's all ironed out, only then is it released to the consumer Smiley Happy
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 16 (6,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 3:19:29 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Rdechiara on May 7, 2014 at 3:25:52 PM

Unfortunately, that is indeed how it works. Supposedly, Touchwiz isn't playing nice with the update so they are trying to work the bugs out. Last thing I heard, we would have KitKat by the end of June. Google is mad because according to them, the S3 should have got the update sooner because the S3 was still in the 18 month window when KitKat first came out. Anyway,KitKat is great on my Moto G, which is running near stock. Extremely few manufacterer custom tweaks to the OS, and no carrier bloatware. Regardless, I want my S3 back to what it used to be. It was great prior to 4.3 Jellybean.

Unfortunately, that is indeed how it works. Supposedly, Touchwiz isn't playing nice with the update so they are trying to work the bugs out. Last thing I heard, we would have KitKat by the end of June. Google is mad because according to them, the S3 should have got the update sooner because the S3 was still in the 18 month window when KitKat first came out. Anyway,KitKat is great on my Moto G, which is running near stock. Extremely few manufacterer custom tweaks to the OS, and no carrier bloatware. Regardless, I want my S3 back to what it used to be. It was great prior to 4.3 Jellybean.

[ Edited ]
8 of 16 (6,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 11:14:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

That is all fine and dandy but between Samsung and ATT inability to even give the stage it is in is unacceptable.  Worse yet the great suck carrier ATT does not even chime in on the post in these forums.  To keep me sane appears t-mobile and Nexus are in my future. 

That is all fine and dandy but between Samsung and ATT inability to even give the stage it is in is unacceptable.  Worse yet the great suck carrier ATT does not even chime in on the post in these forums.  To keep me sane appears t-mobile and Nexus are in my future. 

9 of 16 (6,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 2:36:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
@xustta

T-Mobile devices also go through the testing process (which is is the last stage before it goes live to the consumer unless bugs are found and sent back to the manufacturer), so it wouldn't really make a difference on which carrier.

Now if you wish to use a Nexus device, you can also do that on AT&T and download updates as Google releases them Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
@xustta

T-Mobile devices also go through the testing process (which is is the last stage before it goes live to the consumer unless bugs are found and sent back to the manufacturer), so it wouldn't really make a difference on which carrier.

Now if you wish to use a Nexus device, you can also do that on AT&T and download updates as Google releases them Smiley Happy
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 16 (6,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 1:48:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm trying to understand why we have to go through this every time there's an update? You would think that AT&T would have a process in place by now so updates will be done more quickly. It's very frustrating to have to always go through this. I think this is a way to force people that are happy with the phones they have, to spend money to upgrade.

I'm trying to understand why we have to go through this every time there's an update? You would think that AT&T would have a process in place by now so updates will be done more quickly. It's very frustrating to have to always go through this. I think this is a way to force people that are happy with the phones they have, to spend money to upgrade.

11 of 16 (5,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 10:06:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

They were saying we would get the update May 2014. They must have meant May 2015. AT&T's to large to not have better service for their customers. If they're not going to upgrade the S3 with KitKat, they should at least offer us the S4 at a discounted rate. 

They were saying we would get the update May 2014. They must have meant May 2015. AT&T's to large to not have better service for their customers. If they're not going to upgrade the S3 with KitKat, they should at least offer us the S4 at a discounted rate. 

12 of 16 (4,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 10:46:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
Actually, it would be distribution to carrier in May. The clowns at ATT have it but are going to withhold it to try to get you to buy a S5. Sprint and several small carriers received the distribution at the same time but where much more efficient(honest) and got it into customers hands quickly.
Actually, it would be distribution to carrier in May. The clowns at ATT have it but are going to withhold it to try to get you to buy a S5. Sprint and several small carriers received the distribution at the same time but where much more efficient(honest) and got it into customers hands quickly.

13 of 16 (4,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 7:49:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just posted a thread on this, because even the search feature didn't pick up on the fact that this was already posted.

I hate how they drag their feet and take forever to get us an update. We waited much longer for the 4.3 update than we should have. I guess it's just par for the course. I have not heard anything about Verizon useres getting the 4.4 update yet, either though. So that's a good sign.

And at least we are not the international useres who are screwed with the GT-I9300 version. That update has been scrubbed, due to a lack of ram in the device.

I just posted a thread on this, because even the search feature didn't pick up on the fact that this was already posted.

I hate how they drag their feet and take forever to get us an update. We waited much longer for the 4.3 update than we should have. I guess it's just par for the course. I have not heard anything about Verizon useres getting the 4.4 update yet, either though. So that's a good sign.

And at least we are not the international useres who are screwed with the GT-I9300 version. That update has been scrubbed, due to a lack of ram in the device.

14 of 16 (4,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2014 11:00:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
Well, KitKat is here for the Galaxy S3 on AT&T. We had to manually update by going into settings, but it's here.
Well, KitKat is here for the Galaxy S3 on AT&T. We had to manually update by going into settings, but it's here.

15 of 16 (2,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2014 11:04:07 AM
(0)
Contributor
Well, KitKat is here for the Galaxy S3 on AT&T. We had to manually update by going into settings, but it's here. I think it came 2 days ago, but we just updated the S3 last night. I'm on Note 3 and have had the update for a while. The biggest change I've noticed: battery DRAIN!!! I hope that's better for S3. Our S3 took update easily and haven't heard complaints so far.
Well, KitKat is here for the Galaxy S3 on AT&T. We had to manually update by going into settings, but it's here. I think it came 2 days ago, but we just updated the S3 last night. I'm on Note 3 and have had the update for a while. The biggest change I've noticed: battery DRAIN!!! I hope that's better for S3. Our S3 took update easily and haven't heard complaints so far.

16 of 16 (2,089 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments