The Samsung Galaxy S24
randun's profile

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

Thursday, July 28th, 2011 4:21 PM

Closed

"Unknown Sources"

I've encountered this problem before & simply ignored it but now I really need to resolve it so I can download non-Android Market apps.

I own a Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897) w/Froyo 2.2 firmware, & the phone is not rooted.

My problem is related to AT&It's ridiculous policy of not allowing non-Android Market apps to be installed on its Android OS-based phones. If anyone could ever give me a plausible & rational explanation of this policy, I'm, all ears. However, I've digressed from my intended inquiry. Smiley Wink

For whatever reason,. AT&T allows a slim few Android phones (4 out 100s! To download & install apps from Amazon.com's Appstore. I have no problem downloading the apps, but I still get the dreaded message that informs me "Install blocked -- For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market."

Amazon has an excellent set of instructions on its website, http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000626391&ref=sv_mas_4. Finally, I get to my problem!! There are a couple of ways to download  apps from the site but I'll stick to the method addressed in the instructions. You're given the option of entering your cell phone into a dialog box, which then sends a text message with a link that automatically downloads the app to your phone. As I noted above, in my case the installation is aborted. Amazon (as well as other providers) provides you with a workaround that is as follows:

- Press "Menu" on the home screen of your phone

- Select "Settings"

- Enter the "Applications" menu

- See if the "Unknown Sources" check box is available

If you have the option to allow unknown sources and third party applications, you should be able to install the Amazon Appstore by visiting: www.amazon.com/apps.

My problem is with the "Unknown Sources" check box..My Captivate simply doesn't have this as an option so I'm unable to proceed any further. Has anyone encountered this problem & found a fix for it? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

725 Messages

13 years ago

AT&T started rolling updates for some phones out that fixed this, and newer phones (like the Infuse) had it from the get-go.

I'm not sure if there is an official Cappy update available, if not you're probably going to be waiting for the just-announced Gingerbread update.  (Planned for "by the end of 2011"...) unless you take matters into your own hands.

Gingerbread has been available for the Cappy for months with sideloading enabled - just not as a release from AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

13 years ago

AT&T did roll out a patch for the Captivate that enables sideloading, but it didn't make it to all phones. It's a silent update, nothing is seen by the user, and there's no indication of the patch other than the fact that you can suddenly install non-market apps.

If you didn't get the update, you have to call CS and ask for it. Be ready to explain exactly what you want, because most CSRs won't know what you're talking about. You'll have to get transferred to a high level tech. Be patient. I had to call twice and talk to 4 different people before I got it pushed to my phone.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

You know, I seem to recall hearing about this patch, most likely over at the 'xdadevelopers' forum. I may check with a friend there who works for AT&T before calling them first. I've had some nightmare calls with them on other topics lasting >20 minutes prior to being escalated to L3, where issues were usually resolved in <5 minutes!

@Max69 wrote:

AT&T did roll out a patch for the Captivate that enables sideloading, but it didn't make it to all phones. It's a silent update, nothing is seen by the user, and there's no indication of the patch other than the fact that you can suddenly install non-market apps.

If you didn't get the update, you have to call CS and ask for it. Be ready to explain exactly what you want, because most CSRs won't know what you're talking about. You'll have to get transferred to a high level tech. Be patient. I had to call twice and talk to 4 different people before I got it pushed to my phone.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks to you as well. The update definitely never hit my phone. Actually, this reminds me that I don't think I've ever been informed of any updates through the Settings/Software Update since I've had the phone (about 5 or 6 months). I'll try another source before I call AT&T because I definitely can't wait for GB, which has already been leaked across the universe with users reporting very few problems, if any. 

Entropy512 wrote:

AT&T started rolling updates for some phones out that fixed this, and newer phones (like the Infuse) had it from the get-go.

I'm not sure if there is an official Cappy update available, if not you're probably going to be waiting for the just-announced Gingerbread update.  (Planned for "by the end of 2011"...) unless you take matters into your own hands.

Gingerbread has been available for the Cappy for months with sideloading enabled - just not as a release from AT&T.

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

13 years ago

I just went through this today for my brother's Captivate that he got last month.  I didn't find this thread until AFTER I had spent an hour on the phone chasing down the problem.  The first person I spoke to didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but gamely tried to find someone who did.  Eventually, he found a guy who said he could fix the problem, but after some discussion, he ended up passing me off to someone else who declared it a Samsung problem not an ATT problem.  I called Samsung and they said no, it was at ATTs request that the OS was built that way.

Discouraged, I got on here to check it out and miraculously found this thread.  I called them back and the first guy was skeptical, but willing to look around.  After he had been gone and come back several times without finding anything I gave him the url for this forum and he found this thread.  He then went out and talked to still more higher level techs until he found one  who knew what he was talking about.  Anne knew the problem, but she couldn't solve it herself, so she had to find someone else who could. 

It took several stints of being on hold, booting and re-booting the phone, before it began to install the Amazon appstore app.  I never did get the 'unknown source' option under settings/applications, but I can download and install apps from Amazon, so I guess I'm good to go.

So, to anyone who finds this thread and has this problem, point the CSR to the forum and ask for the patch that allows 'access to android 3rd party content'.  That's the best I could get for an id of the patch.

Thanks to everyone here who helped the original poster.

Z.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

@ljtanner1949 wrote:

I just went through this today for my brother's Captivate that he got last month.  I didn't find this thread until AFTER I had spent an hour on the phone chasing down the problem.  The first person I spoke to didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but gamely tried to find someone who did.  Eventually, he found a guy who said he could fix the problem, but after some discussion, he ended up passing me off to someone else who declared it a Samsung problem not an ATT problem.  I called Samsung and they said no, it was at ATTs request that the OS was built that way.

Discouraged, I got on here to check it out and miraculously found this thread.  I called them back and the first guy was skeptical, but willing to look around.  After he had been gone and come back several times without finding anything I gave him the url for this forum and he found this thread.  He then went out and talked to still more higher level techs until he found one  who knew what he was talking about.  Anne knew the problem, but she couldn't solve it herself, so she had to find someone else who could. 

It took several stints of being on hold, booting and re-booting the phone, before it began to install the Amazon appstore app.  I never did get the 'unknown source' option under settings/applications, but I can download and install apps from Amazon, so I guess I'm good to go.

So, to anyone who finds this thread and has this problem, point the CSR to the forum and ask for the patch that allows 'access to android 3rd party content'.  That's the best I could get for an id of the patch.

Thanks to everyone here who helped the original poster.

Z.

I'm glad things finally worked out for you. I thought that I had come back & finished my solution but may have forgotten. I never mess with calling AT&T reps by phone as it's usually a fruitless exercise. I simply sent a nicely worded email using the online conduit on the website, explained the problem, & they flashed my phone overnight with the missing update & everything works flawlessly now.

Since they keep pushing back the legit Gingerbread release in the U.S. due to disagreements between Samsumg & AT&T, & they're ongoing legal issues in trying to take over T-Mobile, I've decided to go ahead & root my phone with a well-tested copy of GB. That said, I don't endorse or encourage other users to do the same.

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

13 years ago

Since they keep pushing back the legit Gingerbread release in the U.S. due to disagreements between Samsumg & AT&T, & they're ongoing legal issues in trying to take over T-Mobile, I've decided to go ahead & root my phone with a well-tested copy of GB. That said, I don't endorse or encourage other users to do the same.

Which version did you use?  I'm thinking about that if I actually get a cappy to replace my poor sad Win 6.5 Pure.

TIA

Z

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

@ljtanner1949 wrote:

Which version did you use?  I'm thinking about that if I actually get a cappy to replace my poor sad Win 6.5 Pure.

TIA

Z

If you mean by "version", my current firmware then it is 2.2 (Build # FROYO.UCKB1). If something else, then let me know. You're in luck if you don't already have a Captivate. All new Captivate's should come with Gingerbread (v2.3.4) stocked. I'd check with your local store first though as they'll have a selection different than what you may find online. Of course, you could wait a couple of weeks (maybe :)) & compare it to the new Galaxy S II.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

11 months ago

@CarolHara 

You are posting on a 12-year-old thread, about a phone which is not even usable on any USA Network anymore.  you've been reviving a couple antiquated threads.  Sometimes repeating information that is already been given.

🥴. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.