"Obtaining IP Address" on Samsung Note 2

Contributor

"Obtaining IP Address" on Samsung Note 2

From what I've read this is a problem for other people with the Samsung Note 2.  There are times where my WiFi connects to my home, work and hot spots just fine.  Every once in a while it will not connect at all.  It will say "Obtaining IP Address" then after about a minute a half I get the message "Network Disabled. Poor connection" while at the same time getting the message "Signal Strength: Strong".  This is beyond frustrating considering how much I've paid for this phone.  I have tried all the trick that I've been able to find online (taking out the sim card, restarting phone, downloading apps, turning off AT&T Wifi Manager, etc.) and nothing seems to work.  Most of the time I just have to wait it out and hope that it will spontaneously start working, just like it spontaneously stopped working.  Does anyone have any long term solutions for this?? I do not want to root my phone.  

Message 1 of 3 (4,076 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

Re: "Obtaining IP Address" on Samsung Note 2

try the free app "wifi manager"

Message 2 of 3 (4,014 Views)
Professor

Re: "Obtaining IP Address" on Samsung Note 2

[ Edited ]

AnaNotBanana wrote:

From what I've read this is a problem for other people with the Samsung Note 2.  There are times where my WiFi connects to my home, work and hot spots just fine.  Every once in a while it will not connect at all.  It will say "Obtaining IP Address" then after about a minute a half I get the message "Network Disabled. Poor connection" while at the same time getting the message "Signal Strength: Strong".  This is beyond frustrating considering how much I've paid for this phone.  I have tried all the trick that I've been able to find online (taking out the sim card, restarting phone, downloading apps, turning off AT&T Wifi Manager, etc.) and nothing seems to work.  Most of the time I just have to wait it out and hope that it will spontaneously start working, just like it spontaneously stopped working.  Does anyone have any long term solutions for this?? I do not want to root my phone.  

Possibly congested channels. Did you look at the assignment of channels by other residences near you. You can use an App to show you what channels are in use by others in your vicinity. For example, you can use the WiFi Analyser App to show you channels that are in use and their signal strengths.

Message 3 of 3 (3,994 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.