nexus 4 lte

Scholar

nexus 4 lte

Has anybody been able to use lte on the nexus 4 with att.
Message 1 of 25 (25,864 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: nexus 4 lte

From what I've seen posted on the subject it appears that very few AT&T markets use LTE on the Nexus 4 compatible frequencies, so success is not very likely.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 25 (25,819 Views)
Professor

The Nexus 4 does not have any LTE radio, and not compatible with any LTE frequencies.

So quite simply, no.  The LExus 4 will not work on LTE.

Message 3 of 25 (25,766 Views)
Scholar

Officially it doesn't have lte but it does have band 4 lte unofficially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOY9EVZ4vA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Message 4 of 25 (25,759 Views)
Professor

You'd probably get a better response on XDA's forums for a question like that.  I doubt that many AT&T customers have the Nexus 4 and even fewer of them (us) are interested in trying to make LTE work on AT&T.  The ones that are probably frequent XDA more than this forum.

Message 5 of 25 (25,760 Views)
Professor

mendomar012 wrote:
Officially it doesn't have lte but it does have band 4 lte unofficially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOY9EVZ4vA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hmm, wasn't aware of that.  Can't follow every device that closely, of course.

Message 6 of 25 (25,759 Views)
Scholar

Thanks
Message 7 of 25 (25,750 Views)
Scholar

The Nexus 4 supports LTE Band 4 that consists of AWS 1700 / 2100MHz. The large majority of AT&T LTE markets do not use these frequencies. 

Message 8 of 25 (25,684 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_422_jelly_bean_makes_a_landing_on_the_nexus_4-news-5542.php

4.2.2 has taken away the unofficial LTE support in Nexus 4.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 25 (25,600 Views)
Scholar

I know it sucks that Google did that. Now I'm debating whether I should update to Google's latest version or not update and try to see if the lte will work in my area when lte comes around
Message 10 of 25 (25,590 Views)
Scholar

The Nexus 4 really doesn't need LTE as long as HSPA+ 42 is still available. Let's face it, not many devices will use 42Mb of data bandwidth in the first place. 

Message 11 of 25 (25,309 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

billd104 wrote:

The Nexus 4 really doesn't need LTE as long as HSPA+ 42 is still available. Let's face it, not many devices will use 42Mb of data bandwidth in the first place. 

Depends a lot on the network congestion, and data reception in your area.  I was getting around 1 Mbps (sometimes much less) at my house on HSPA+, to the point of being agonizingly slow and useless.  Sometimes the data connection would drop out completely.  Once AT&T switched on LTE, the data speeds went up to around 20 Mbps, and rock solid.

Message 12 of 25 (25,301 Views)
Scholar

The only carrier that supports hspa+42 is t mobile and in my area t mobile is still 2g.lol so I really enjoy att hspa+21 I average around 3mbs during the day but at night after 7 pm I average 10mbs
Message 13 of 25 (25,295 Views)
Scholar

redpoint73 wrote:

billd104 wrote:

Depends a lot on the network congestion, and data reception in your area.  I was getting around 1 Mbps (sometimes much less) at my house on HSPA+, to the point of being agonizingly slow and useless.  Sometimes the data connection would drop out completely.  Once AT&T switched on LTE, the data speeds went up to around 20 Mbps, and rock solid.

It also depends on the network and the backhaul type. All of AT&T's LTE sites are now fiber backhaul. They are upgrading the HSPA+ sites that aren't LTE too but that's ongoing. Most of the sites are upgrading to hybrid HSPA+ / LTE with fiber backhaul. 

Message 14 of 25 (25,288 Views)
Scholar

mendomar012 wrote:
The only carrier that supports hspa+42 is t mobile and in my area t mobile is still 2g.lol so I really enjoy att hspa+21 I average around 3mbs during the day but at night after 7 pm I average 10mbs

I see that T-Mobile is actually selling the Nexus 4 8GB on contract for $49.00 

Message 15 of 25 (25,283 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.