Explore & discover

Helpful Links

need help unlocking note 8

Highlighted
Tutor

need help unlocking note 8

I purchased phone from owner who was not primary acct. holder but is on acct. and phone , associated with her # is what I purchaced. The other person on the acct. reported her phone lost or stolen. I contacted customer service, who directed me to take to an at&t store, so the owner of phone,( person named on the acct) and I went to the at&t store and proved ownership and person on acct. We were then Told we needed to contact customer service to have block removed. I explained that we were directed to come here to have unlocked, I am very frustrated that I have yet again been misinformed. I came home contacted custumer service and was told I need to submit an unlock request, but you cannot proceed if you have a phone that has been reported or stolen, so AT&T what solution do you have because so far my time and money have been wasted, and lots of misinformation on this matter

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎07-19-2019 5:49 AM

Re: need help unlocking note 8

Sorry to say but as far as ATT is concerned, the account owner owns the phone and has every right to report the phone stolen. Until the account owner and the person you bought the phone from work their issue out and they report the phone found, there is nothing you can do.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Tutor

the owner has closed acct, left with outstanding bill on the phone I purchased, since he is no longer active and outstanding bill is owed on the acct, isn't person named on acct, whom phone associated with telephone # that owes on acct. responsible for acct? I mean if she wants to stay with at&t couldn't she do so and be primary acct. holder

Message 3 of 8
Tutor

I mean obviously phone is not stolen it was brought to store with person whom it belonged to on the acct. and, identity established so what right does anyone have to keep phone blacklisted for unjust reasons

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

The account being closed and having a balance is what is the problem.  Till the account is paided off the phone will stay locked.  As to the Blacklist the primary is the only one that can remove it.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Tutor

couldnt I take on the owed amount by chance, I understand what is being said to me, I would like to have a solution that I could ultimately acquire phone, and AT&T will have a debt that can be satisfied. I dont believe the relationship of the previous owner is favorable for me due to whatever bad blood the two have still.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Sage

No.  And no again . . . 

And you can ask 100 other times, the answer will not change.  Only the account owner can fix this by paying off his account and phones, and calling to remove the phone from blacklist.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Professor

@mddabe What you request certainly seems logical and to the benefit of all.  However, there are legalities that must be satisfied, and legalities supersede logic.  Legally, the phone belongs to the owner of the account.  Legally, the owner of the account owes a balance and evidently has reported the phone stolen.  It is up to the owner of the account to satisfy their debt and to request the phone be removed from the blacklist.  Those are the rules.   

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support