Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 3, 2014
6:55:49 PM
View profile
micro SD card issue

Recently purchased a 32GB Micro SD card for a Z998 Gophone with Android 4.1.2. Inserted it OK next to the SIM card (copper connectors bottom, leading). Alas, it doesn't show as if the Z998 has recognized this 32GB SD. In Settings, Device, Storage, the following is displayed under SD Card Storage:

'Mount SD Card'

'Insert an SD card for mounting'

I assumed that the Z998 would automatically format the 32GB SD so I could start using it. Apparently, this is not the case. How do I resolve this problem? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Recently purchased a 32GB Micro SD card for a Z998 Gophone with Android 4.1.2. Inserted it OK next to the SIM card (copper connectors bottom, leading). Alas, it doesn't show as if the Z998 has recognized this 32GB SD. In Settings, Device, Storage, the following is displayed under SD Card Storage:

'Mount SD Card'

'Insert an SD card for mounting'

I assumed that the Z998 would automatically format the 32GB SD so I could start using it. Apparently, this is not the case. How do I resolve this problem? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 4, 2014 6:47:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Try the card in another device (a PC/Mac) to verify it's working.

Format it in the PC/Mac.

The z998 should support microSDHC up to 32GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

micro SD card issue

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 4, 2014 6:47:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Format it in the PC/Mac.

Format it in the PC/Mac.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: micro SD card issue

2 of 16 (6,558 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 6:54:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Have ordered microSDHC reader to try formating on PC as you suggested.
Thank you.
Have ordered microSDHC reader to try formating on PC as you suggested.
Thank you.

3 of 16 (6,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 5:14:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

MicroSD cards are typically pre-formatted FAT32 and do not need to be formatted in order to be used on smartphones.

Seeing if the card works with a PC via a card reader is a good idea, to eliminate the possibility that a defective card is not the issue.

What brand SD, and where did you get it from?  Off brand SD cards tend to be defective more frequently than well known brands.

MicroSD cards are typically pre-formatted FAT32 and do not need to be formatted in order to be used on smartphones.

Seeing if the card works with a PC via a card reader is a good idea, to eliminate the possibility that a defective card is not the issue.

What brand SD, and where did you get it from?  Off brand SD cards tend to be defective more frequently than well known brands.

4 of 16 (6,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 8:31:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
It's a SanDisk Ultra (32GB Micro). Came with a SanDisk Adapter (for
microSD, SDHC, and SDXC). Had to order an SD reader just so I could verify
it. Purchased at Amazon. I believe you are right - it will probably prove
to be defective. Thanks for the info re the fact that the card should have
already been FAT32 pre-formatted.
It's a SanDisk Ultra (32GB Micro). Came with a SanDisk Adapter (for
microSD, SDHC, and SDXC). Had to order an SD reader just so I could verify
it. Purchased at Amazon. I believe you are right - it will probably prove
to be defective. Thanks for the info re the fact that the card should have
already been FAT32 pre-formatted.

5 of 16 (6,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 12:42:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SanDisk is usually a very reliable brand.  But of course, a small number of defective units will always appear, with even the most reliable brands.

Also, was the SD purchased from Amazon, or a 3rd party seller?   Counterfeit SDs are very common.  But if it was from Amazon themselves, its a pretty sure thing is genuine Sandisk.

SanDisk is usually a very reliable brand.  But of course, a small number of defective units will always appear, with even the most reliable brands.

Also, was the SD purchased from Amazon, or a 3rd party seller?   Counterfeit SDs are very common.  But if it was from Amazon themselves, its a pretty sure thing is genuine Sandisk.

6 of 16 (6,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 7:28:14 PM
(0)
Teacher
purchased from Amazon LLC...

will post results of tests with the SD reader as soon as available...

thanks for your input!
purchased from Amazon LLC...

will post results of tests with the SD reader as soon as available...

thanks for your input!

7 of 16 (6,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:45:16 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by notanotherusernameplease on May 7, 2014 at 8:45:57 AM

Last week my PNY micro SD card was fine.  Recording a video on it.

Over the weekend, I allowed AT&T to push the update to Kit Kat to my S4.

Approximately 24 hours later I get a notification on my S4 the SD card can't be read, needs to be formatted.

I do not allow formatting and move it to a PC.

It can't be read.

Try 3 different utilities to save data.  No luck.

After some critical pictures and videos are lost, I figure might as well reformat. 

Can't be done.  Fails.

Seems awfully coincidental that the memory card became useless within 24 hours of the the upgrade.  

I wonder if anyone else had such an experience.

Last week my PNY micro SD card was fine.  Recording a video on it.

Over the weekend, I allowed AT&T to push the update to Kit Kat to my S4.

Approximately 24 hours later I get a notification on my S4 the SD card can't be read, needs to be formatted.

I do not allow formatting and move it to a PC.

It can't be read.

Try 3 different utilities to save data.  No luck.

After some critical pictures and videos are lost, I figure might as well reformat. 

Can't be done.  Fails.

Seems awfully coincidental that the memory card became useless within 24 hours of the the upgrade.  

I wonder if anyone else had such an experience.

[ Edited ]
8 of 16 (6,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:26:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
I ran a quick FAT32 reformat using an SD card reader with Windows 7 and lo
and behold, the micro SD card is now recognized on the Z998 phone. Thank
you all for your advice. Case closed.
I ran a quick FAT32 reformat using an SD card reader with Windows 7 and lo
and behold, the micro SD card is now recognized on the Z998 phone. Thank
you all for your advice. Case closed.

9 of 16 (6,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:32:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Problem resolved with a quick format (FAT32) through a SD card reader on Windows 7. The microSD card can now be read on the Z998 phone. Thank you all for your help. Case closed.

Problem resolved with a quick format (FAT32) through a SD card reader on Windows 7. The microSD card can now be read on the Z998 phone. Thank you all for your help. Case closed.

10 of 16 (6,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 6:38:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

yd wrote:

Interesting.  Perhaps the card was somehow corrupted, or not properly pre-formatted at the factory?

Anyway, kudo to johninsj for the recommendation to get a card reader and format it via PC.

yd wrote:

Interesting.  Perhaps the card was somehow corrupted, or not properly pre-formatted at the factory?

Anyway, kudo to johninsj for the recommendation to get a card reader and format it via PC.

11 of 16 (6,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2015 9:00:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I see that this thread began about 9 months ago but I am having this same problem now. I would try to check the 16GB card in my PC but there does not appear to be a port small enough to attach it. I have a Z998 and have been having a terrible time finding assistance online. I can't install new apps on my phone because it says there is insufficient storage. The staff at an AT&T device service center told me installing the micro SD card would correct this problem, and hopefully prevent the frequent unexplained shutdowns of the phone. But after I put the new card in, I still can't install any new apps. I will have to try reaching a human being at customer service when they reopen in the morning. If they are not able to help then maybe I should just switch to another provider..... If anyone here has more advice to offer please let me know. Thanks!

I see that this thread began about 9 months ago but I am having this same problem now. I would try to check the 16GB card in my PC but there does not appear to be a port small enough to attach it. I have a Z998 and have been having a terrible time finding assistance online. I can't install new apps on my phone because it says there is insufficient storage. The staff at an AT&T device service center told me installing the micro SD card would correct this problem, and hopefully prevent the frequent unexplained shutdowns of the phone. But after I put the new card in, I still can't install any new apps. I will have to try reaching a human being at customer service when they reopen in the morning. If they are not able to help then maybe I should just switch to another provider..... If anyone here has more advice to offer please let me know. Thanks!

12 of 16 (3,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2015 6:14:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You must have missed the part about needed the micro card adapter that makes it work just like a regular sd memory card.

Easy to get, am acutaly suprised you did not get one with the miro sd you purchased.

Good luck, and thankfully, this is an easy one.

You must have missed the part about needed the micro card adapter that makes it work just like a regular sd memory card.

Easy to get, am acutaly suprised you did not get one with the miro sd you purchased.

Good luck, and thankfully, this is an easy one.

13 of 16 (3,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2015 1:13:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I saw micro SD cards with adapters today. I did not even know either of these items existed. So with the adapter I can plug it into my computer to check if it is working? I think the person at the AT&T device center should have told me about the adapter.  In any case if I am reading it correctly my phone is showing the storage space is there but somehow it has not expanded the memory of my computer. If the SD card is working all right, then what? If I can't expand the internal memory of the phone then having the micro card does me no good. I might as well get a new phone, but this time it won't be from AT&T.

Thank you for the info.

I saw micro SD cards with adapters today. I did not even know either of these items existed. So with the adapter I can plug it into my computer to check if it is working? I think the person at the AT&T device center should have told me about the adapter.  In any case if I am reading it correctly my phone is showing the storage space is there but somehow it has not expanded the memory of my computer. If the SD card is working all right, then what? If I can't expand the internal memory of the phone then having the micro card does me no good. I might as well get a new phone, but this time it won't be from AT&T.

Thank you for the info.

14 of 16 (3,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2015 4:58:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Saddly, while I can tell you about the sd cards, I really know next to nothing about the phone/computing device, having never even seen one.

Still, most of those smartie phones are more allike than differant, so I can say how they work in a general sense, but can't speak to the quirks of a specific brand.

The micro sd cards though, i have used a few, mostly because the local staples had a sale on them, and figured, big or small sd cards should be about the same.

Just, always had to use the adaptor, as i've just never seen a micro sd port. Am sure they exist, otherwise why even make the micro in the first place.

And if ya read this thread more closely, you'd have seen folks are saying to check for the type of formatting on the card, and if not the right type, to format it as such.

And too, especialy with the off brands, you can always get a defective one.

good luck

Saddly, while I can tell you about the sd cards, I really know next to nothing about the phone/computing device, having never even seen one.

Still, most of those smartie phones are more allike than differant, so I can say how they work in a general sense, but can't speak to the quirks of a specific brand.

The micro sd cards though, i have used a few, mostly because the local staples had a sale on them, and figured, big or small sd cards should be about the same.

Just, always had to use the adaptor, as i've just never seen a micro sd port. Am sure they exist, otherwise why even make the micro in the first place.

And if ya read this thread more closely, you'd have seen folks are saying to check for the type of formatting on the card, and if not the right type, to format it as such.

And too, especialy with the off brands, you can always get a defective one.

good luck

15 of 16 (3,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2016 10:52:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can't be read, or reformated

SD card

Can't be read, or reformated

SD card