The Samsung Galaxy S24
linda32501's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 11:19 AM

letting someone use my hot spot Good or Bad idea

My friends phone currently has no service but he wants me to turn on my hotspot so he can use it for his phone. Is this in my best interest or not.I am unfamiliar with how this works since I am technology ignorant.He claims this will not use up my data for my phone. I have no idea how the hotspot thing works at all. Help

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

If you let him use your hotspot, he will use your data. That is what a hotspot is. A hotspot allows other devices to use data, just like a wireless router.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@linda32501 No, they won't be able to view any information on your phone. Hotspot only allows them to use your data. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Please help

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank You for response.Most appreciated. So that means I will end up with less data than I already have and I'm already out of high speed data for the month as it is.Would this person be able to view everything on my phone and transfer my information such as contacts for example to there phone if they choose to without my knowledge?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I apologize but I am very ignorant when it comes to all this technology and this person is very aware of that...I just don't want to be taken advantage of or on the other hand refusing to let them use my hotspot if its no big deal and will barely effect my data to notice much difference and offend this person causing some sort of conflict .

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

GREAT! Thank You So Very Much 🙂 My answer to that person is still NO. My data is too low at this time to share . 🙂 have a great day

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Can somebody steal your your information using a hotspot

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Scottytoohoty wrote:

Can somebody steal your your information using a hotspot

Possibly.  

As a rule, your phone is private.  It and it’s service and content should not be shared.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.