The Samsung Galaxy S24
dinosaur1's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 2:54 AM

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Iphone to Nexus 4 is a good idea. Assuming you haven't looked into android, the Nexus 4 is pure android, and you will get the latest updates from google that way. Now on the data plan thing. The Nexus 4 requires a micro-sim card, so get one of those (obviously). If your data plan has LTE, you won't be able to use that with the Nexus 4 as it has an HSPA+ chip. I mean ya there's no LTE, but HSPA+ costs a whole lot less, with a whole lot more coverage. So basically, if your data plan is HSPA+, you can still use it, but if it's LTE, than you can't.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I had an iPhone 4, then a Nexus S, then a Galaxy Nexus with a bunch of other phones thrown in there at one time or another.  Personally, I prefer an Android phone of any kind to an iPhone.  It seems like you may like iPhones more than I did, as you have had 5 of them.

I am a fan of the Nexus line of phones; that said, I'm unsure if I will get the Nexus 4.  I am not a fan of LG, but I probably won't be able to resist the next Nexus. 

Do you have specific questions?  I could probably talk all night about the differences between the two phones and my opinions on them.  Also, I'm not a typical phone user so there may be things that are important to you that are not that important to me.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

So if my data plan says LTE unlimited I cant switch to a nexus 4? I don't even have LTE near me so I can't use it. Does ithe Nexus have gps voice navigation and something comparable to Siri? How often are software updates?

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

I don't have a texting plan (because of alot of spam texts) so my wife and I use iMessage for texting. Is there something comparable on the Nexus? On the downside iMessage goes down a lot and Apple support can't figure it out.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

There is no Android-to-Android only text messaging similar to what iMessage offers.  The other alternatives (apps) that I'm familiar with use a different phone number than the one that you have through your cellular provider.  These had the limitations of no MMS the last time that I checked, but I think that TextFree offers MMS now.  I think that there are also some that send text messages as emails.

You should be able to switch your data plan to an unlimited data plan for smartphones that will be compatible with HSPA+ service.  The Nexus will have Google Navigation, which is free turn-by-turn navigation.  Google Now is comparable to Siri.  Software updates...that's kind of hard to answer.  Google generally does one major update a year, with one or two minor updates per year and any maintenance updates when needed.  The Nexus will be the first Android phone to get the update.  That said, app developers will be working from the same device that you are, so some apps may not be updated by the time the new OS version goes live.  This hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it has been noticeable.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

How will the battery life be compared to the iPhone 5?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

As I said earlier I'm not a typical phone user, so I'm not the best person to answer this. 

From my experience with the iPhone 4, actual performance was close to the battery life specs given by Apple.  From my experience with Android phones, none of them have come close to the specs listed on paper.  I don't even read the battery life specs anymore, not just for that reason, but also because there are too many different usage patterns out there for the specs to be relevant. 

I'm in the habit of charging overnight and using all day with no problems.  However, I am always around a charger and use multiple phones, so I don't worry about battery life the way that a typical user would.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

What do you like about the Nexus so much that made you stay with it so much?

I am also comparing the iPad and iPad mini vs Nexus 7 and 10.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I like Android and get to see the latest versions of Android first with the latest Nexus devices.  Nexus devices are also free of manufacturer skins on top of Android.  There is also no carrier-branding or bloatware on the devices.  The Nexus is the only non-Sprint phone that supports Google Wallet without hacking.

Those are my main reasons for using Nexus devices.  Even if I don't get the Nexus 4, I will keep using my Galaxy Nexus until the Nexus 5 comes out.  I seriously doubt that I will go a year without the latest Nexus, though.

I wanted to wait for the Nexus 10 to come out, as I wanted a pure Android tablet experience as well.  However, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was too good for me to resist.  I don't want my tablet habit to catch up to my phone habit; that's the only reason that I'm passing on the Nexus 10.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Apple products are very user friendly. Is Nexus the same way for the average user? The last droid I tried was the Droid X phone. Nice size and features, but the touch sensitivity on the screen was poor and it seemed very complicated when it came down to using the routine everyday. Plus the apps and games i downloaded seems way behind Apple at that time. On their other hand we don't have a MacBook laptop or any iPad and use Google for many other things. Gmail, search engine, Google Vioice, etc....I guess I am wanting a smartphone that will be there for years to come and something that will fit how I truly need to use it. How many software updates can a Nexus phone get before you have to upgrade the device? I also don't want to have to spend $500+ dollars when a new smartphone comes out because I'm not upgrade eligible.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.