Posted Nov 3, 2012
7:54:44 PM
iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

69 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(69)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 9:31:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:35:16 AM

dinosaur1 wrote:
Other than the Samsung Galaxy S iii will the Nexus 4 be considered an iPhone 5 competitor?

Those phones all do the same things, and are all "flagship" high end smartphones.  So if that is what you mean, yes they are competitors.  The HTC One X (soon to be superceded by the One X+) is in the same category, as well.

My take on Android:  Its customizable in ways the iPhone simply is not.  It does things that Apple will simply not let you do.  It drives my wife crazy that she can't just plug her iPhone or iPad into our PC and just drag and drop files (which even a 2 dollar thumb drive can do) and she is forced to go through the cumbersome iTunes interface to sync files.

If you are a big user of Google products (Gmail, Maps, Calendar), the integration with Android is simply awesome.  Its really a shame that Apple is in the process of wiping Google from their OS.  I know at least a couple people that are going to ditch their iPhones for this reason.

On the other hand, if you have a lot invested in the iOS ecosystem (such as games and other apps), the transition may be a bit jarring.

Some people say that iOS is more user friendly than Android.  But honestly, unless you are the type that needs help setting a digital clock, I don't see it making that much of a difference.  Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve, as there is with any electronic device.  But its still very user friendly.  Yes, there are lots of things you can configure, but that is a good thing.

dinosaur1 wrote:
Other than the Samsung Galaxy S iii will the Nexus 4 be considered an iPhone 5 competitor?

Those phones all do the same things, and are all "flagship" high end smartphones.  So if that is what you mean, yes they are competitors.  The HTC One X (soon to be superceded by the One X+) is in the same category, as well.

My take on Android:  Its customizable in ways the iPhone simply is not.  It does things that Apple will simply not let you do.  It drives my wife crazy that she can't just plug her iPhone or iPad into our PC and just drag and drop files (which even a 2 dollar thumb drive can do) and she is forced to go through the cumbersome iTunes interface to sync files.

If you are a big user of Google products (Gmail, Maps, Calendar), the integration with Android is simply awesome.  Its really a shame that Apple is in the process of wiping Google from their OS.  I know at least a couple people that are going to ditch their iPhones for this reason.

On the other hand, if you have a lot invested in the iOS ecosystem (such as games and other apps), the transition may be a bit jarring.

Some people say that iOS is more user friendly than Android.  But honestly, unless you are the type that needs help setting a digital clock, I don't see it making that much of a difference.  Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve, as there is with any electronic device.  But its still very user friendly.  Yes, there are lots of things you can configure, but that is a good thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

[ Edited ]
31 of 70 (3,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 10:05:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
How would I know what the hspa+ speeds would be using te Nexus 4 in my area?

32 of 70 (3,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 10:10:31 AM
(0)
Mentor
When would the phone ship out? How has this worked in the past on google play?

33 of 70 (3,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 10:17:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

Just get the Speedtest app for the iPhone:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

Run the speed test, making sure WiFi on the phone is turned off (otherwise you are just testing the speed of the WiFi).

There may end up being some difference in the HSPA+ speed on the iPhone vs. Nexus 4, due to differences in the phone modems.  But it should give you a pretty good idea of the network speed in your area.

But the bottom line, if the existing HSPA+ network is fine for your use now, that isn't going to change much when you get your Nexus 4.  Your usage habits may change some over time, as more services go to the cloud, and people do more streaming of video/music.  But for now, if it works for you on the iPhone, it will work for you on the Nexus 4.

dinosaur1 wrote:

Just get the Speedtest app for the iPhone:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

Run the speed test, making sure WiFi on the phone is turned off (otherwise you are just testing the speed of the WiFi).

There may end up being some difference in the HSPA+ speed on the iPhone vs. Nexus 4, due to differences in the phone modems.  But it should give you a pretty good idea of the network speed in your area.

But the bottom line, if the existing HSPA+ network is fine for your use now, that isn't going to change much when you get your Nexus 4.  Your usage habits may change some over time, as more services go to the cloud, and people do more streaming of video/music.  But for now, if it works for you on the iPhone, it will work for you on the Nexus 4.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

34 of 70 (3,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 10:40:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:41:09 AM

dinosaur1 wrote:

I don't know when the phone will ship yet.  This is mostly unprecedented, as Google is launching the Nexus 4 and selling it at the same time on the Google Play store.  The Galaxy Nexus had already been out around 5 months by the time they started selling it in the Play Store.  I didn't get my Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store, so I don't have that experience to fall back on.

dinosaur1 wrote:

I don't know when the phone will ship yet.  This is mostly unprecedented, as Google is launching the Nexus 4 and selling it at the same time on the Google Play store.  The Galaxy Nexus had already been out around 5 months by the time they started selling it in the Play Store.  I didn't get my Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store, so I don't have that experience to fall back on.

[ Edited ]
35 of 70 (3,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 10:54:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No personal experience with buying devices from the Play Store.  But I believe I've read that its very quick and easy, with fast shipping.  But no idea how pre-ordering will work, and how fast it will ship at release (how much demand there will be, whether it will get backordered, etc.).

No personal experience with buying devices from the Play Store.  But I believe I've read that its very quick and easy, with fast shipping.  But no idea how pre-ordering will work, and how fast it will ship at release (how much demand there will be, whether it will get backordered, etc.).

36 of 70 (3,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 12:09:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Since I use at&t isn't pick it up anywhere.

37 of 70 (3,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 12:24:54 PM
(0)
Mentor
While the hardware and specs are great for the gadget enthusiasts and hardcore Android crowd, most consumers would just opt for the device that can do the most.
While the hardware and specs are great for the gadget enthusiasts and hardcore Android crowd, most consumers would just opt for the device that can do the most.

38 of 70 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 12:52:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to say or ask.

dinosaur1 wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to say or ask.

39 of 70 (3,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 1:02:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

The device that can do the most doesn't necessarily matter, if you never use or need those features.  The important thing is for a device to do what you want and need it to do.  And in the end, many consumers don't make decisions based on facts anyway, they often buy what they perceive as cool or poular.

dinosaur1 wrote:

The device that can do the most doesn't necessarily matter, if you never use or need those features.  The important thing is for a device to do what you want and need it to do.  And in the end, many consumers don't make decisions based on facts anyway, they often buy what they perceive as cool or poular.

40 of 70 (3,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 1:53:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
I'll be honest. For me the main concern would be syncing to other tablets and also other smart phones. I have always owned iPhones so I have a lot of money invested in the applications. Currently I'm looking into getting a brand-new tablet as well which is why I'm doing all this research on switching to a droid phone as well as droid tablet. But from what I seen there are not too many educational apps on the droid tablet that would make sense for me or my son.

What I do like is the fact that the Nexus 4 comes at a low price with no contract. I just wish I can see one before buying it.
I'll be honest. For me the main concern would be syncing to other tablets and also other smart phones. I have always owned iPhones so I have a lot of money invested in the applications. Currently I'm looking into getting a brand-new tablet as well which is why I'm doing all this research on switching to a droid phone as well as droid tablet. But from what I seen there are not too many educational apps on the droid tablet that would make sense for me or my son.

What I do like is the fact that the Nexus 4 comes at a low price with no contract. I just wish I can see one before buying it.

41 of 70 (3,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 2:43:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you checked the Play Store to see what apps are available? 

As far as the paid apps that you have, reach out to the app developers to see if you have to pay for the app again if you switch platforms.  I didn't have many paid apps on iOS, and only one was particularly important to me.  I reached out to the developer who told me how to access my content on Android.  It may not work every time, but it's worth a shot.  The app has to already be available in Android for this to work, though.

Have you checked the Play Store to see what apps are available? 

As far as the paid apps that you have, reach out to the app developers to see if you have to pay for the app again if you switch platforms.  I didn't have many paid apps on iOS, and only one was particularly important to me.  I reached out to the developer who told me how to access my content on Android.  It may not work every time, but it's worth a shot.  The app has to already be available in Android for this to work, though.

42 of 70 (3,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 3:20:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
Good idea. I just wish that I could see and feel it.
Good idea. I just wish that I could see and feel it.

43 of 70 (3,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 3:32:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If there is a T-Mobile store in your area, you can go there on the 14th to see if they have a live display model that you can hold.  Call before you go, as the phone will only be released in select retail stores.

If there is a T-Mobile store in your area, you can go there on the 14th to see if they have a live display model that you can hold.  Call before you go, as the phone will only be released in select retail stores.

44 of 70 (3,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:10:33 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thats the other thing. I hate waiting in lines. Another reason to get away from Apple.
Thats the other thing. I hate waiting in lines. Another reason to get away from Apple.

45 of 70 (3,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:42:36 PM
(0)
Mentor
Whats the easiest way to test my current at&t hspa+ speeds?

46 of 70 (3,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:49:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No lines for me I walked into the Best Buy close to the Galleria in Houston Texas and bought an iPhone 5  32gb I was in and out with a working phone in less than an hour that includes the drive time and that was yesterday at 11am.

I never buy on launch day any new popular piece of electronics as I will not wait in those lines either.

dinosaur1 wrote:

No lines for me I walked into the Best Buy close to the Galleria in Houston Texas and bought an iPhone 5  32gb I was in and out with a working phone in less than an hour that includes the drive time and that was yesterday at 11am.

I never buy on launch day any new popular piece of electronics as I will not wait in those lines either.

dinosaur1 wrote:

47 of 70 (3,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:53:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

This http://speedtest.net or you can download the mobile app of the same thing from the App Store .Then take note if its 4G its HSPA+ if its LTE then its real 4G.

This http://speedtest.net or you can download the mobile app of the same thing from the App Store .Then take note if its 4G its HSPA+ if its LTE then its real 4G.

48 of 70 (3,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:57:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is in response to my comment about going to the T-Mobile store but if it was, I'm pretty sure that lines won't be a factor if you go on the 14th.  If there are four people in front of you, I will be shocked beyond belief. 

For the data speed information, you can download the Speedtest.net app from Ookla in the App store and run a speed test in your location using a local server to determine your speeds.  If you are in an LTE area, toggle LTE off on your iPhone before doing the test, so that you fall back to the HSPA+ network.

dinosaur1 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is in response to my comment about going to the T-Mobile store but if it was, I'm pretty sure that lines won't be a factor if you go on the 14th.  If there are four people in front of you, I will be shocked beyond belief. 

For the data speed information, you can download the Speedtest.net app from Ookla in the App store and run a speed test in your location using a local server to determine your speeds.  If you are in an LTE area, toggle LTE off on your iPhone before doing the test, so that you fall back to the HSPA+ network.

49 of 70 (3,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 7:32:08 PM
(0)
Mentor
Pinged at 153 ms
4G gives me 8.89 down, 1.22

I heard that the Nexus 4 will not give me true 4G speeds though.
Pinged at 153 ms

50 of 70 (3,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 5:19:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You should get those same speeds on a Nexus 4.

As far as the true 4G speeds, I don't know who said it and what his motivations were.  There are no "true" 4G speeds in this country now, because 4G was originally defined as throughput of 100 Mbps and that won't come until LTE-Advanced is released.  The relaxed definition allowed anything substantially better than 3G to be called 4G and 8 Mbps qualifies as substantially better than 3G.

You should get those same speeds on a Nexus 4.

As far as the true 4G speeds, I don't know who said it and what his motivations were.  There are no "true" 4G speeds in this country now, because 4G was originally defined as throughput of 100 Mbps and that won't come until LTE-Advanced is released.  The relaxed definition allowed anything substantially better than 3G to be called 4G and 8 Mbps qualifies as substantially better than 3G.

51 of 70 (3,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 7:54:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

I already answered that questions a long time ago.

dinosaur1 wrote:

I already answered that questions a long time ago.

52 of 70 (3,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 7:56:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 6, 2012 at 8:01:53 AM

dinosaur1 wrote:
Pinged at 153 ms

That's really good for HSPA+.  Most I've seen on the HSP+ network around me is around 6 Mbps, and as low as 1 Mbps.  But I know some areas get as good as 10 Mbps.

8 Mbps is fine for darned near anything.

Nexus 4 won't give you LTE, but if you don't have LTE in your area, that doesn't matter anyway.  Nexus 4 should give you the same speeds you are seeing now.  The speed is almost always capped by the network, not the hardware.

dinosaur1 wrote:
Pinged at 153 ms

That's really good for HSPA+.  Most I've seen on the HSP+ network around me is around 6 Mbps, and as low as 1 Mbps.  But I know some areas get as good as 10 Mbps.

8 Mbps is fine for darned near anything.

Nexus 4 won't give you LTE, but if you don't have LTE in your area, that doesn't matter anyway.  Nexus 4 should give you the same speeds you are seeing now.  The speed is almost always capped by the network, not the hardware.

[ Edited ]
53 of 70 (3,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 7:58:24 AM
(0)
Mentor
What about the backside on the Nexus 4 which can shatter easily?

54 of 70 (3,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 8:07:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dinosaur1 wrote:

The back is glass, just like the iPhone 4/4S.  Did you break that?  If you're concerned about it, buy a case.

dinosaur1 wrote:

The back is glass, just like the iPhone 4/4S.  Did you break that?  If you're concerned about it, buy a case.

55 of 70 (3,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 10:36:32 AM
(0)
Mentor
Sounds good. Thanks for all your help. I'll be in touch!
Sounds good. Thanks for all your help. I'll be in touch!

56 of 70 (3,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2012 1:27:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:
No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

I suggest trying a phone loaded with Jellybean (Android 4.1). There is no lag.

Wild Banchi wrote:
No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

I suggest trying a phone loaded with Jellybean (Android 4.1). There is no lag.

57 of 70 (3,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2012 3:30:47 PM
(0)
Mentor
Will the Nexus 4 work with Straight Talk?
Will the Nexus 4 work with Straight Talk?

58 of 70 (3,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2012 3:37:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes, with either the T-Mobile compatible or AT&T compatible SIM card.  If you do Straight Talk, I would recommend the T-Mobile compatible SIM card, so that you can access the HSPA+ 42 network.

Yes, with either the T-Mobile compatible or AT&T compatible SIM card.  If you do Straight Talk, I would recommend the T-Mobile compatible SIM card, so that you can access the HSPA+ 42 network.

59 of 70 (3,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2012 8:06:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Long time Android and iOS user here...just a couple things

1. I have no Idea what the previous poster is talking about regarding lag and android, I've never experienced this on any of my android phones and I've owned 10 different ones so far. I always buy high end models, so maybe it's only an issue with low end devices.

2. If you have an unlimited LTE plan you will also be able to use unlimited HSPA+, which in my opinion is also very fast.

3. Droid is not a nickname for Android, it's a trademark name that Verizon uses for it's Android devices. Referring to non Verizon Android devices by Droid is incorrect, and a major pet peeve. I know it's silly....

4. Nexus 4 is not marketed as an iPhone competitor, but they are in the same class none the less. I personally don't like Nexus devices as they run a stripped down stock version of Android that is missing many features that you ultimately have to install 3rd party apps for. I'll take a Sense or TouchWiz based Android device over stock Android any day. I'd be considering the S3 instead...or if you like LG then their Optimus G phone is essentially the Nexus 4 with LTE.

Long time Android and iOS user here...just a couple things

1. I have no Idea what the previous poster is talking about regarding lag and android, I've never experienced this on any of my android phones and I've owned 10 different ones so far. I always buy high end models, so maybe it's only an issue with low end devices.

2. If you have an unlimited LTE plan you will also be able to use unlimited HSPA+, which in my opinion is also very fast.

3. Droid is not a nickname for Android, it's a trademark name that Verizon uses for it's Android devices. Referring to non Verizon Android devices by Droid is incorrect, and a major pet peeve. I know it's silly....

4. Nexus 4 is not marketed as an iPhone competitor, but they are in the same class none the less. I personally don't like Nexus devices as they run a stripped down stock version of Android that is missing many features that you ultimately have to install 3rd party apps for. I'll take a Sense or TouchWiz based Android device over stock Android any day. I'd be considering the S3 instead...or if you like LG then their Optimus G phone is essentially the Nexus 4 with LTE.

60 of 70 (3,276 Views)