The Samsung Galaxy S24
dinosaur1's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 2:54 AM

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Have you checked the Play Store to see what apps are available? 

As far as the paid apps that you have, reach out to the app developers to see if you have to pay for the app again if you switch platforms.  I didn't have many paid apps on iOS, and only one was particularly important to me.  I reached out to the developer who told me how to access my content on Android.  It may not work every time, but it's worth a shot.  The app has to already be available in Android for this to work, though.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Good idea. I just wish that I could see and feel it.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

If there is a T-Mobile store in your area, you can go there on the 14th to see if they have a live display model that you can hold.  Call before you go, as the phone will only be released in select retail stores.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Thats the other thing. I hate waiting in lines. Another reason to get away from Apple.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Whats the easiest way to test my current at&t hspa+ speeds?

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

No lines for me I walked into the Best Buy close to the Galleria in Houston Texas and bought an iPhone 5  32gb I was in and out with a working phone in less than an hour that includes the drive time and that was yesterday at 11am.

I never buy on launch day any new popular piece of electronics as I will not wait in those lines either.

@dinosaur1 wrote:
Thats the other thing. I hate waiting in lines. Another reason to get away from Apple.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

This http://speedtest.net or you can download the mobile app of the same thing from the App Store .Then take note if its 4G its HSPA+ if its LTE then its real 4G.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is in response to my comment about going to the T-Mobile store but if it was, I'm pretty sure that lines won't be a factor if you go on the 14th.  If there are four people in front of you, I will be shocked beyond belief. 

For the data speed information, you can download the Speedtest.net app from Ookla in the App store and run a speed test in your location using a local server to determine your speeds.  If you are in an LTE area, toggle LTE off on your iPhone before doing the test, so that you fall back to the HSPA+ network.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Pinged at 153 ms
4G gives me 8.89 down, 1.22

I heard that the Nexus 4 will not give me true 4G speeds though.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

You should get those same speeds on a Nexus 4.

As far as the true 4G speeds, I don't know who said it and what his motivations were.  There are no "true" 4G speeds in this country now, because 4G was originally defined as throughput of 100 Mbps and that won't come until LTE-Advanced is released.  The relaxed definition allowed anything substantially better than 3G to be called 4G and 8 Mbps qualifies as substantially better than 3G.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.