The Samsung Galaxy S24
dinosaur1's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 2:54 AM

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

How would I know what the hspa+ speeds would be using te Nexus 4 in my area?

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

When would the phone ship out? How has this worked in the past on google play?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
How would I know what the hspa+ speeds would be using te Nexus 4 in my area?

Just get the Speedtest app for the iPhone:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

Run the speed test, making sure WiFi on the phone is turned off (otherwise you are just testing the speed of the WiFi).

There may end up being some difference in the HSPA+ speed on the iPhone vs. Nexus 4, due to differences in the phone modems.  But it should give you a pretty good idea of the network speed in your area.

But the bottom line, if the existing HSPA+ network is fine for your use now, that isn't going to change much when you get your Nexus 4.  Your usage habits may change some over time, as more services go to the cloud, and people do more streaming of video/music.  But for now, if it works for you on the iPhone, it will work for you on the Nexus 4.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
When would the phone ship out? How has this worked in the past on google play?

I don't know when the phone will ship yet.  This is mostly unprecedented, as Google is launching the Nexus 4 and selling it at the same time on the Google Play store.  The Galaxy Nexus had already been out around 5 months by the time they started selling it in the Play Store.  I didn't get my Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store, so I don't have that experience to fall back on.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

No personal experience with buying devices from the Play Store.  But I believe I've read that its very quick and easy, with fast shipping.  But no idea how pre-ordering will work, and how fast it will ship at release (how much demand there will be, whether it will get backordered, etc.).

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Since I use at&t isn't pick it up anywhere.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

While the hardware and specs are great for the gadget enthusiasts and hardcore Android crowd, most consumers would just opt for the device that can do the most.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
Since I use at&t isn't pick it up anywhere.

I don't know what you are trying to say or ask.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dinosaur1 wrote:
While the hardware and specs are great for the gadget enthusiasts and hardcore Android crowd, most consumers would just opt for the device that can do the most.

The device that can do the most doesn't necessarily matter, if you never use or need those features.  The important thing is for a device to do what you want and need it to do.  And in the end, many consumers don't make decisions based on facts anyway, they often buy what they perceive as cool or poular.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

I'll be honest. For me the main concern would be syncing to other tablets and also other smart phones. I have always owned iPhones so I have a lot of money invested in the applications. Currently I'm looking into getting a brand-new tablet as well which is why I'm doing all this research on switching to a droid phone as well as droid tablet. But from what I seen there are not too many educational apps on the droid tablet that would make sense for me or my son.

What I do like is the fact that the Nexus 4 comes at a low price with no contract. I just wish I can see one before buying it.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.