The Samsung Galaxy S24
dinosaur1's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 2:54 AM

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

tl:dr - The ease of use is about the same. 

You are more used to iOS than I was when I switched to Android; I found that transition to be easy.  When I use someone else's iPhone now or pull mine out of the drawer, I struggle to do simple tasks, because I'm so used to Android and usually having an onscreen menu option.

Since there are no skins on a Nexus phone, some people may find it harder to use because skins are supposed to enhance the ease of use for the phone user.  I actually find having no skin easier, because there are less options to look through to find things.  You also get caught up in trademark/patent/copyright names for certain menu items on phones with skins.  This creates confusion because the same function will have a different name and may be in a different area of the menu on a Samsung phone versus an HTC phone.  None of these things are concerns with a Nexus phone, as Settings menu items are where you would normally think that they would be.

Android has made strides since the days of the DROID X.  I'm not sure what the most recent version of Android was that you used; I'm guessing that it was either Froyo or Gingerbread.  Jellybean is a lot more user friendly than those were, and I think that ease of use will not be a concern for you.

Google updates Nexus devices until the hardware can't handle the new software well.  My Nexus S was released in December 2010 and has Jellybean (4.1).  I haven't heard whether or not it will get 4.2.  I have to look up the last official software release for the Nexus One, as I don't remember it off the top of my head.  I do know that they have stopped updating that phone, which was released in January 2010, I think.

I'm confused by your last statement.  AT&T will not be subsidizing the Nexus 4.  It will be $300/8GB and $350/16GB from the Play Store.  If one comes out next year, it will probably be a similar price.  If you get this phone from the Play Store, it won't affect your upgrade eligibility from AT&T for AT&T branded phones.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

I was more referring to the iPhone. I would really like the fact that I won't have to worry about paying $500+ for an iPhone when I'm not upgrade eligible. The Nexus has an very attractive price and even better I won't have to worry about contracts....:) since I would be buying it in the Google Play store.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

The other questions would be concerns on battery life and the transition from podcasts on the IPhone to the Nexus. How would that work. I noticed that they don't include earbuds?

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

I listen to some podcasts. Does the Nexus 4 have something similar to podcasts? When it comes to games how are they compared to the iPhone 5 as far as quality, screen sensitivity, lag, etc

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

The battery life of Android phones aren't quite as good as on any model of the iPhone, namely the 3GS and newer. When I used my Samsung Captivate Android phone, I would leave it on all day without using it as so much to check the time with no applications running, and it would go from about 98% at 7:00 A.M. down to 75% at most by the time it reached 2:30 P.M. One time I left my old iPhone 3GS on all night for 8 hours when the battery was at 100% and when I woke up, it was still at 100%. I was very impressed.

I have always like iOS and especially the iPhone 4, and I "permanently" made the switch in June of earlier this year. I will admit though, I still miss a few things that Android has to offer, such as Adobe Flash Player and CUSTOMIZATION! I could customize my Captivate with almost anything and put anything anywhere on my home screens! My biggest complaint with my Captivate and most Android phones in general is that they are significantly slower than the iPhone in many ways. Start up time, camera clicks, bringing up the camera gallery, web browsing, and even typing on the keyboard... Those are the main reasons why I did not like Android. I'm not saying that I hate Android and will never go back; I have just found iOS to be more functional for my taste.

Now, with Apple's stupidity to DISABLE MMS MESSAGING for prepaid iPhone users with the iOS 6 update, I am wishing that I almost HAD stuck to Android... You can just never win... 😞

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

11 years ago

Have you ever used a Nexus phone? I read that they are not that laggy as the other droid phones.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

For battery life, the significant difference is in idle standby.  The iPhone has far and beyond superior battery life in idle standby to any Android phone that I have used.  Android phones are better when it comes to battery consumed during phone conversations.  For other tasks, I have found them to be close to equal when you are using the phone with the screen on.

There are so many other variables to battery life that it's hard to answer.  I'm in a strong signal area for both of the carriers that I use my devices on, so my phones don't expend a lot of battery power searching for a signal.  I leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time.  I sync multiple email accounts and Twitter to different devices, but don't sync Facebook. 

I can't answer questions about podcasts, as I don't listen to them on either platform.  I didn't notice that the Nexus 4 didn't come with earbuds, but I use other earbuds and a Bluetooth device anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference to me.

I'm not a heavy gamer.  The few games that I do play, I play on the Galaxy Note or one of my tablets so that I can have the larger screen.  Overall screen sensitivity and lag shouldn't be problems with the quad-core processor and Jellybean 4.2.  I don't have lag and screen sensitivity problems using Android 4.1 on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Who knows what LG's performance will be.  We have to wait and see on that.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Android has a imessage type of service so please stop spreading false information. I don't have texting and I use google talk or google+ for texting.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Yes Android has a podcast app you can use to listen to them as well. I use it and its call Beyondpod.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.