Posted Nov 3, 2012
7:54:44 PM
iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

I have owned all previous iPhone models that have existed.  I am ready to try something different and go for the Nexus 4.  The iPhone 5 is great, but it also seems behind the times as well when it comes to screen size, customization and battery life.  I am also finding that when Apple gets too big as they are now the quality of their products goes downhill.  I also don't feel like waiting in lines or spending $500 when the Nexus phone is set at a very competitive price. The Genius Bar always pushes back when I go and try and get help.  I will never own a MacBook and wil always have a windows pc so in the long run the Nexus 4 is the way to go.

I have owned a droid phone in the past and it was 50/50.  I heard the Nexus 4 is going to be out of this world.

Has anyone else gone from iPhone to Nexus p roduct lineand how do they like it?

What do I have to do to switch to a Nexus 4 snice I have an unlimited data plan with at&t?

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

69 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(69)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 8:38:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Iphone to Nexus 4 is a good idea. Assuming you haven't looked into android, the Nexus 4 is pure android, and you will get the latest updates from google that way. Now on the data plan thing. The Nexus 4 requires a micro-sim card, so get one of those (obviously). If your data plan has LTE, you won't be able to use that with the Nexus 4 as it has an HSPA+ chip. I mean ya there's no LTE, but HSPA+ costs a whole lot less, with a whole lot more coverage. So basically, if your data plan is HSPA+, you can still use it, but if it's LTE, than you can't.

Iphone to Nexus 4 is a good idea. Assuming you haven't looked into android, the Nexus 4 is pure android, and you will get the latest updates from google that way. Now on the data plan thing. The Nexus 4 requires a micro-sim card, so get one of those (obviously). If your data plan has LTE, you won't be able to use that with the Nexus 4 as it has an HSPA+ chip. I mean ya there's no LTE, but HSPA+ costs a whole lot less, with a whole lot more coverage. So basically, if your data plan is HSPA+, you can still use it, but if it's LTE, than you can't.

Re: iPhone 5 to Nexus 4 switch

2 of 70 (73,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 8:52:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I had an iPhone 4, then a Nexus S, then a Galaxy Nexus with a bunch of other phones thrown in there at one time or another.  Personally, I prefer an Android phone of any kind to an iPhone.  It seems like you may like iPhones more than I did, as you have had 5 of them.

I am a fan of the Nexus line of phones; that said, I'm unsure if I will get the Nexus 4.  I am not a fan of LG, but I probably won't be able to resist the next Nexus. 

Do you have specific questions?  I could probably talk all night about the differences between the two phones and my opinions on them.  Also, I'm not a typical phone user so there may be things that are important to you that are not that important to me.

I had an iPhone 4, then a Nexus S, then a Galaxy Nexus with a bunch of other phones thrown in there at one time or another.  Personally, I prefer an Android phone of any kind to an iPhone.  It seems like you may like iPhones more than I did, as you have had 5 of them.

I am a fan of the Nexus line of phones; that said, I'm unsure if I will get the Nexus 4.  I am not a fan of LG, but I probably won't be able to resist the next Nexus. 

Do you have specific questions?  I could probably talk all night about the differences between the two phones and my opinions on them.  Also, I'm not a typical phone user so there may be things that are important to you that are not that important to me.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 70 (73,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 9:43:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
So if my data plan says LTE unlimited I cant switch to a nexus 4? I don't even have LTE near me so I can't use it. Does ithe Nexus have gps voice navigation and something comparable to Siri? How often are software updates?
So if my data plan says LTE unlimited I cant switch to a nexus 4? I don't even have LTE near me so I can't use it. Does ithe Nexus have gps voice navigation and something comparable to Siri? How often are software updates?

4 of 70 (73,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 9:46:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
I don't have a texting plan (because of alot of spam texts) so my wife and I use iMessage for texting. Is there something comparable on the Nexus? On the downside iMessage goes down a lot and Apple support can't figure it out.
I don't have a texting plan (because of alot of spam texts) so my wife and I use iMessage for texting. Is there something comparable on the Nexus? On the downside iMessage goes down a lot and Apple support can't figure it out.

5 of 70 (73,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 10:54:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There is no Android-to-Android only text messaging similar to what iMessage offers.  The other alternatives (apps) that I'm familiar with use a different phone number than the one that you have through your cellular provider.  These had the limitations of no MMS the last time that I checked, but I think that TextFree offers MMS now.  I think that there are also some that send text messages as emails.

You should be able to switch your data plan to an unlimited data plan for smartphones that will be compatible with HSPA+ service.  The Nexus will have Google Navigation, which is free turn-by-turn navigation.  Google Now is comparable to Siri.  Software updates...that's kind of hard to answer.  Google generally does one major update a year, with one or two minor updates per year and any maintenance updates when needed.  The Nexus will be the first Android phone to get the update.  That said, app developers will be working from the same device that you are, so some apps may not be updated by the time the new OS version goes live.  This hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it has been noticeable.

There is no Android-to-Android only text messaging similar to what iMessage offers.  The other alternatives (apps) that I'm familiar with use a different phone number than the one that you have through your cellular provider.  These had the limitations of no MMS the last time that I checked, but I think that TextFree offers MMS now.  I think that there are also some that send text messages as emails.

You should be able to switch your data plan to an unlimited data plan for smartphones that will be compatible with HSPA+ service.  The Nexus will have Google Navigation, which is free turn-by-turn navigation.  Google Now is comparable to Siri.  Software updates...that's kind of hard to answer.  Google generally does one major update a year, with one or two minor updates per year and any maintenance updates when needed.  The Nexus will be the first Android phone to get the update.  That said, app developers will be working from the same device that you are, so some apps may not be updated by the time the new OS version goes live.  This hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it has been noticeable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 70 (73,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 11:06:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
How will the battery life be compared to the iPhone 5?
How will the battery life be compared to the iPhone 5?

7 of 70 (73,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 11:32:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

As I said earlier I'm not a typical phone user, so I'm not the best person to answer this. 

From my experience with the iPhone 4, actual performance was close to the battery life specs given by Apple.  From my experience with Android phones, none of them have come close to the specs listed on paper.  I don't even read the battery life specs anymore, not just for that reason, but also because there are too many different usage patterns out there for the specs to be relevant. 

I'm in the habit of charging overnight and using all day with no problems.  However, I am always around a charger and use multiple phones, so I don't worry about battery life the way that a typical user would.

As I said earlier I'm not a typical phone user, so I'm not the best person to answer this. 

From my experience with the iPhone 4, actual performance was close to the battery life specs given by Apple.  From my experience with Android phones, none of them have come close to the specs listed on paper.  I don't even read the battery life specs anymore, not just for that reason, but also because there are too many different usage patterns out there for the specs to be relevant. 

I'm in the habit of charging overnight and using all day with no problems.  However, I am always around a charger and use multiple phones, so I don't worry about battery life the way that a typical user would.

8 of 70 (73,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 12:02:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
What do you like about the Nexus so much that made you stay with it so much?

I am also comparing the iPad and iPad mini vs Nexus 7 and 10.
What do you like about the Nexus so much that made you stay with it so much?

I am also comparing the iPad and iPad mini vs Nexus 7 and 10.

9 of 70 (73,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 5:38:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I like Android and get to see the latest versions of Android first with the latest Nexus devices.  Nexus devices are also free of manufacturer skins on top of Android.  There is also no carrier-branding or bloatware on the devices.  The Nexus is the only non-Sprint phone that supports Google Wallet without hacking.

Those are my main reasons for using Nexus devices.  Even if I don't get the Nexus 4, I will keep using my Galaxy Nexus until the Nexus 5 comes out.  I seriously doubt that I will go a year without the latest Nexus, though.

I wanted to wait for the Nexus 10 to come out, as I wanted a pure Android tablet experience as well.  However, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was too good for me to resist.  I don't want my tablet habit to catch up to my phone habit; that's the only reason that I'm passing on the Nexus 10.

I like Android and get to see the latest versions of Android first with the latest Nexus devices.  Nexus devices are also free of manufacturer skins on top of Android.  There is also no carrier-branding or bloatware on the devices.  The Nexus is the only non-Sprint phone that supports Google Wallet without hacking.

Those are my main reasons for using Nexus devices.  Even if I don't get the Nexus 4, I will keep using my Galaxy Nexus until the Nexus 5 comes out.  I seriously doubt that I will go a year without the latest Nexus, though.

I wanted to wait for the Nexus 10 to come out, as I wanted a pure Android tablet experience as well.  However, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was too good for me to resist.  I don't want my tablet habit to catch up to my phone habit; that's the only reason that I'm passing on the Nexus 10.

10 of 70 (73,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 6:06:24 AM
(0)
Mentor
Apple products are very user friendly. Is Nexus the same way for the average user? The last droid I tried was the Droid X phone. Nice size and features, but the touch sensitivity on the screen was poor and it seemed very complicated when it came down to using the routine everyday. Plus the apps and games i downloaded seems way behind Apple at that time. On their other hand we don't have a MacBook laptop or any iPad and use Google for many other things. Gmail, search engine, Google Vioice, etc....I guess I am wanting a smartphone that will be there for years to come and something that will fit how I truly need to use it. How many software updates can a Nexus phone get before you have to upgrade the device? I also don't want to have to spend $500+ dollars when a new smartphone comes out because I'm not upgrade eligible.
Apple products are very user friendly. Is Nexus the same way for the average user? The last droid I tried was the Droid X phone. Nice size and features, but the touch sensitivity on the screen was poor and it seemed very complicated when it came down to using the routine everyday. Plus the apps and games i downloaded seems way behind Apple at that time. On their other hand we don't have a MacBook laptop or any iPad and use Google for many other things. Gmail, search engine, Google Vioice, etc....I guess I am wanting a smartphone that will be there for years to come and something that will fit how I truly need to use it. How many software updates can a Nexus phone get before you have to upgrade the device? I also don't want to have to spend $500+ dollars when a new smartphone comes out because I'm not upgrade eligible.

11 of 70 (73,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 7:13:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Nov 4, 2012 at 7:14:28 AM

tl:dr - The ease of use is about the same. 

You are more used to iOS than I was when I switched to Android; I found that transition to be easy.  When I use someone else's iPhone now or pull mine out of the drawer, I struggle to do simple tasks, because I'm so used to Android and usually having an onscreen menu option.

Since there are no skins on a Nexus phone, some people may find it harder to use because skins are supposed to enhance the ease of use for the phone user.  I actually find having no skin easier, because there are less options to look through to find things.  You also get caught up in trademark/patent/copyright names for certain menu items on phones with skins.  This creates confusion because the same function will have a different name and may be in a different area of the menu on a Samsung phone versus an HTC phone.  None of these things are concerns with a Nexus phone, as Settings menu items are where you would normally think that they would be.

Android has made strides since the days of the DROID X.  I'm not sure what the most recent version of Android was that you used; I'm guessing that it was either Froyo or Gingerbread.  Jellybean is a lot more user friendly than those were, and I think that ease of use will not be a concern for you.

Google updates Nexus devices until the hardware can't handle the new software well.  My Nexus S was released in December 2010 and has Jellybean (4.1).  I haven't heard whether or not it will get 4.2.  I have to look up the last official software release for the Nexus One, as I don't remember it off the top of my head.  I do know that they have stopped updating that phone, which was released in January 2010, I think.

I'm confused by your last statement.  AT&T will not be subsidizing the Nexus 4.  It will be $300/8GB and $350/16GB from the Play Store.  If one comes out next year, it will probably be a similar price.  If you get this phone from the Play Store, it won't affect your upgrade eligibility from AT&T for AT&T branded phones.

tl:dr - The ease of use is about the same. 

You are more used to iOS than I was when I switched to Android; I found that transition to be easy.  When I use someone else's iPhone now or pull mine out of the drawer, I struggle to do simple tasks, because I'm so used to Android and usually having an onscreen menu option.

Since there are no skins on a Nexus phone, some people may find it harder to use because skins are supposed to enhance the ease of use for the phone user.  I actually find having no skin easier, because there are less options to look through to find things.  You also get caught up in trademark/patent/copyright names for certain menu items on phones with skins.  This creates confusion because the same function will have a different name and may be in a different area of the menu on a Samsung phone versus an HTC phone.  None of these things are concerns with a Nexus phone, as Settings menu items are where you would normally think that they would be.

Android has made strides since the days of the DROID X.  I'm not sure what the most recent version of Android was that you used; I'm guessing that it was either Froyo or Gingerbread.  Jellybean is a lot more user friendly than those were, and I think that ease of use will not be a concern for you.

Google updates Nexus devices until the hardware can't handle the new software well.  My Nexus S was released in December 2010 and has Jellybean (4.1).  I haven't heard whether or not it will get 4.2.  I have to look up the last official software release for the Nexus One, as I don't remember it off the top of my head.  I do know that they have stopped updating that phone, which was released in January 2010, I think.

I'm confused by your last statement.  AT&T will not be subsidizing the Nexus 4.  It will be $300/8GB and $350/16GB from the Play Store.  If one comes out next year, it will probably be a similar price.  If you get this phone from the Play Store, it won't affect your upgrade eligibility from AT&T for AT&T branded phones.

[ Edited ]
12 of 70 (73,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 8:13:41 AM
(0)
Mentor
I was more referring to the iPhone. I would really like the fact that I won't have to worry about paying $500+ for an iPhone when I'm not upgrade eligible. The Nexus has an very attractive price and even better I won't have to worry about contracts....:smileyhappy: since I would be buying it in the Google Play store.
I was more referring to the iPhone. I would really like the fact that I won't have to worry about paying $500+ for an iPhone when I'm not upgrade eligible. The Nexus has an very attractive price and even better I won't have to worry about contracts....:smileyhappy: since I would be buying it in the Google Play store.

13 of 70 (73,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 8:15:03 AM
(0)
Mentor
The other questions would be concerns on battery life and the transition from podcasts on the IPhone to the Nexus. How would that work. I noticed that they don't include earbuds?
The other questions would be concerns on battery life and the transition from podcasts on the IPhone to the Nexus. How would that work. I noticed that they don't include earbuds?

14 of 70 (73,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 8:43:46 AM
(0)
Mentor
I listen to some podcasts. Does the Nexus 4 have something similar to podcasts? When it comes to games how are they compared to the iPhone 5 as far as quality, screen sensitivity, lag, etc
I listen to some podcasts. Does the Nexus 4 have something similar to podcasts? When it comes to games how are they compared to the iPhone 5 as far as quality, screen sensitivity, lag, etc

15 of 70 (73,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 9:33:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
The battery life of Android phones aren't quite as good as on any model of the iPhone, namely the 3GS and newer. When I used my Samsung Captivate Android phone, I would leave it on all day without using it as so much to check the time with no applications running, and it would go from about 98% at 7:00 A.M. down to 75% at most by the time it reached 2:30 P.M. One time I left my old iPhone 3GS on all night for 8 hours when the battery was at 100% and when I woke up, it was still at 100%. I was very impressed.

I have always like iOS and especially the iPhone 4, and I "permanently" made the switch in June of earlier this year. I will admit though, I still miss a few things that Android has to offer, such as Adobe Flash Player and CUSTOMIZATION! I could customize my Captivate with almost anything and put anything anywhere on my home screens! My biggest complaint with my Captivate and most Android phones in general is that they are significantly slower than the iPhone in many ways. Start up time, camera clicks, bringing up the camera gallery, web browsing, and even typing on the keyboard... Those are the main reasons why I did not like Android. I'm not saying that I hate Android and will never go back; I have just found iOS to be more functional for my taste.

Now, with Apple's stupidity to DISABLE MMS MESSAGING for prepaid iPhone users with the iOS 6 update, I am wishing that I almost HAD stuck to Android... You can just never win... :smileysad:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

The battery life of Android phones aren't quite as good as on any model of the iPhone, namely the 3GS and newer. When I used my Samsung Captivate Android phone, I would leave it on all day without using it as so much to check the time with no applications running, and it would go from about 98% at 7:00 A.M. down to 75% at most by the time it reached 2:30 P.M. One time I left my old iPhone 3GS on all night for 8 hours when the battery was at 100% and when I woke up, it was still at 100%. I was very impressed.

I have always like iOS and especially the iPhone 4, and I "permanently" made the switch in June of earlier this year. I will admit though, I still miss a few things that Android has to offer, such as Adobe Flash Player and CUSTOMIZATION! I could customize my Captivate with almost anything and put anything anywhere on my home screens! My biggest complaint with my Captivate and most Android phones in general is that they are significantly slower than the iPhone in many ways. Start up time, camera clicks, bringing up the camera gallery, web browsing, and even typing on the keyboard... Those are the main reasons why I did not like Android. I'm not saying that I hate Android and will never go back; I have just found iOS to be more functional for my taste.

Now, with Apple's stupidity to DISABLE MMS MESSAGING for prepaid iPhone users with the iOS 6 update, I am wishing that I almost HAD stuck to Android... You can just never win... :smileysad:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

16 of 70 (73,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 11:47:05 AM
(0)
Mentor
Have you ever used a Nexus phone? I read that they are not that laggy as the other droid phones.
Have you ever used a Nexus phone? I read that they are not that laggy as the other droid phones.

17 of 70 (73,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 12:09:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

For battery life, the significant difference is in idle standby.  The iPhone has far and beyond superior battery life in idle standby to any Android phone that I have used.  Android phones are better when it comes to battery consumed during phone conversations.  For other tasks, I have found them to be close to equal when you are using the phone with the screen on.

There are so many other variables to battery life that it's hard to answer.  I'm in a strong signal area for both of the carriers that I use my devices on, so my phones don't expend a lot of battery power searching for a signal.  I leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time.  I sync multiple email accounts and Twitter to different devices, but don't sync Facebook. 

I can't answer questions about podcasts, as I don't listen to them on either platform.  I didn't notice that the Nexus 4 didn't come with earbuds, but I use other earbuds and a Bluetooth device anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference to me.

I'm not a heavy gamer.  The few games that I do play, I play on the Galaxy Note or one of my tablets so that I can have the larger screen.  Overall screen sensitivity and lag shouldn't be problems with the quad-core processor and Jellybean 4.2.  I don't have lag and screen sensitivity problems using Android 4.1 on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Who knows what LG's performance will be.  We have to wait and see on that.

For battery life, the significant difference is in idle standby.  The iPhone has far and beyond superior battery life in idle standby to any Android phone that I have used.  Android phones are better when it comes to battery consumed during phone conversations.  For other tasks, I have found them to be close to equal when you are using the phone with the screen on.

There are so many other variables to battery life that it's hard to answer.  I'm in a strong signal area for both of the carriers that I use my devices on, so my phones don't expend a lot of battery power searching for a signal.  I leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time.  I sync multiple email accounts and Twitter to different devices, but don't sync Facebook. 

I can't answer questions about podcasts, as I don't listen to them on either platform.  I didn't notice that the Nexus 4 didn't come with earbuds, but I use other earbuds and a Bluetooth device anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference to me.

I'm not a heavy gamer.  The few games that I do play, I play on the Galaxy Note or one of my tablets so that I can have the larger screen.  Overall screen sensitivity and lag shouldn't be problems with the quad-core processor and Jellybean 4.2.  I don't have lag and screen sensitivity problems using Android 4.1 on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Who knows what LG's performance will be.  We have to wait and see on that.

18 of 70 (72,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 1:36:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

No, I do not have any experience with the Nexus lineup. I still would think there would be some noticeable lag...I mean, it's the same OS...

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

19 of 70 (72,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:02:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Android has a imessage type of service so please stop spreading false information. I don't have texting and I use google talk or google+ for texting.
Android has a imessage type of service so please stop spreading false information. I don't have texting and I use google talk or google+ for texting.

20 of 70 (72,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:05:45 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes Android has a podcast app you can use to listen to them as well. I use it and its call Beyondpod.
Yes Android has a podcast app you can use to listen to them as well. I use it and its call Beyondpod.

21 of 70 (72,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:32:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Jnorton2724 wrote:

Google Talk and Google+ are not limited to other Android users, as far as I know, but are able to be used across the different platforms.  iMessage can only be used with other iOS users; text messages to non-iOS users go through as regular SMS messages.  This is why I said that there is not a function in Android similar to iMessage.  I don't have carrier text messaging through AT&T and used Google Voice on an iPhone, and I know that Google Voice is cross-platform.

Jnorton2724 wrote:

Google Talk and Google+ are not limited to other Android users, as far as I know, but are able to be used across the different platforms.  iMessage can only be used with other iOS users; text messages to non-iOS users go through as regular SMS messages.  This is why I said that there is not a function in Android similar to iMessage.  I don't have carrier text messaging through AT&T and used Google Voice on an iPhone, and I know that Google Voice is cross-platform.

22 of 70 (72,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:53:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
So the Nexus 4 comes out on Nov. 13?
So the Nexus 4 comes out on Nov. 13?

23 of 70 (72,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 3:20:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's the available for purchase date.  I don't know when it will ship, though.

That's the available for purchase date.  I don't know when it will ship, though.

24 of 70 (72,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 4:22:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Other than the Samsung Galaxy S iii will the Nexus 4 be considered an iPhone 5 competitor?
Other than the Samsung Galaxy S iii will the Nexus 4 be considered an iPhone 5 competitor?

25 of 70 (72,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 5:02:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes.  The Nexus line shows Android phones as Google intended them to be, much like an iPhone is the phone that Apple intended it to be.

Yes.  The Nexus line shows Android phones as Google intended them to be, much like an iPhone is the phone that Apple intended it to be.

26 of 70 (72,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 7:49:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:12:07 AM

dinosaur1 wrote:

Podcasts are not exclusive to iPhone or Apple, and they are not really made or controlled by Apple.  You can get them a variety of ways, including download or subscribing straight from the source in many cases.  Or if you want, you can just keep using iTunes to download them, then load them onto an Android phone.  There are different ways to sync podcasts and music (including your playlists) from iTunes to an Android phone, but the iSynr app works great.

There are games every bit as good on Android as on iPhone. And there is a lot of garbage too, due to the open nature of the Android Play Store.  Some higher quality (and popular) games are on iPhone, and don't make it to Android.  Although there should are still plenty of quality games to keep most people busy.  But if you want specific games, they may or may not be available on Android.  So you may check for availability on Android, if its a deal breaker for you.  iPhone users simply spend more money on apps then Android users, plus iPhone is easier to develop for (having far less hardware configurations)  so that is where software developers concentrate their time (even Android users now outnumber iOS by a factor of nearly 2 to 1).

It seems like you are basing lots of opinions about Android on an old phone.  The Droid X is over 2 years old, ancient in smartphone terms.  Modern flagship Android phones (Nexus or otherwise) have great specs, responsive, and work great.  The performance difference between iOS and Android is not really a valid difference anymore.  If people are talking about a difference in smoothness or lag on Android vs. iOS, they are talking about milliseconds, or comparing an outdated Android device.  Just do to a store and play around with a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an HTC One X, and you'll see what I'm talking about.  The Nexus 4 has pretty similar specs to those phones (a little better CPU, in fact).

dinosaur1 wrote:

Podcasts are not exclusive to iPhone or Apple, and they are not really made or controlled by Apple.  You can get them a variety of ways, including download or subscribing straight from the source in many cases.  Or if you want, you can just keep using iTunes to download them, then load them onto an Android phone.  There are different ways to sync podcasts and music (including your playlists) from iTunes to an Android phone, but the iSynr app works great.

There are games every bit as good on Android as on iPhone. And there is a lot of garbage too, due to the open nature of the Android Play Store.  Some higher quality (and popular) games are on iPhone, and don't make it to Android.  Although there should are still plenty of quality games to keep most people busy.  But if you want specific games, they may or may not be available on Android.  So you may check for availability on Android, if its a deal breaker for you.  iPhone users simply spend more money on apps then Android users, plus iPhone is easier to develop for (having far less hardware configurations)  so that is where software developers concentrate their time (even Android users now outnumber iOS by a factor of nearly 2 to 1).

It seems like you are basing lots of opinions about Android on an old phone.  The Droid X is over 2 years old, ancient in smartphone terms.  Modern flagship Android phones (Nexus or otherwise) have great specs, responsive, and work great.  The performance difference between iOS and Android is not really a valid difference anymore.  If people are talking about a difference in smoothness or lag on Android vs. iOS, they are talking about milliseconds, or comparing an outdated Android device.  Just do to a store and play around with a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an HTC One X, and you'll see what I'm talking about.  The Nexus 4 has pretty similar specs to those phones (a little better CPU, in fact).

[ Edited ]
27 of 70 (72,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 8:21:06 AM
(0)
Mentor
Here's an article that I read. What does he mean at the very end there?

"A little over a year ago, I bristled at the fact that the iPhone 4S didn't have LTE, but I also admitted that the phone was a still a "force to be reckoned with." The same can be said for the Nexus 4, with a caveat. The mobile industry has changed a lot in the last 12 months. LTE is the norm, not a nice-to-have, and its performance has shown the cracks in the aging GSM networks of the US. No flagship device is released without it. Not even the iPhone.

For a phone and an OS built for the cloud, I think it's unacceptable to not offer a version that takes advantage of our fastest mobile networks.

If you buy the Nexus 4, you have to decide whether you're willing to compromise data speeds for the purest and best form of the Android OS. After comparing the options and seeing the gulf between Google's flagship and other devices on the market, I've decided it's a compromise I won't be making again."

"A little over a year ago, I bristled at the fact that the iPhone 4S didn't have LTE, but I also admitted that the phone was a still a "force to be reckoned with." The same can be said for the Nexus 4, with a caveat. The mobile industry has changed a lot in the last 12 months. LTE is the norm, not a nice-to-have, and its performance has shown the cracks in the aging GSM networks of the US. No flagship device is released without it. Not even the iPhone.

For a phone and an OS built for the cloud, I think it's unacceptable to not offer a version that takes advantage of our fastest mobile networks.

If you buy the Nexus 4, you have to decide whether you're willing to compromise data speeds for the purest and best form of the Android OS. After comparing the options and seeing the gulf between Google's flagship and other devices on the market, I've decided it's a compromise I won't be making again."

28 of 70 (72,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 8:31:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I take it that the author won't be getting a Nexus 4 because he wants LTE data speeds.  For those with a need for speed, I can understand this feeling.  I can take an HSPA+ only phone because I have several other LTE devices to watch video on.  For those with only one device, that's a consideration that could take a different turn. I live in an area that gets good LTE speeds on AT&T (25Mbps+ down).  If I had to choose one phone, it would be a phone that had LTE. 

This is also a testament to how far other OEMs have come and how far Android has come, in general.  Nexus devices were necessary for my enjoyment of Android 1-2 years ago.  Now, I can enjoy Android under Touchwiz.  Also, Android OS versions are going from good to great whereas a couple of years ago, I would have described them as "maturing".

If you take Redpoint's suggestion from above (I recommend this, as well), do a factory data reset on the phone in the store before you test it.  I have run into non-responsive and laggy devices that were in-store displays.  Some of the time, this is caused by people downloading conflicting apps and leaving tasks running in the background on the phone.

I take it that the author won't be getting a Nexus 4 because he wants LTE data speeds.  For those with a need for speed, I can understand this feeling.  I can take an HSPA+ only phone because I have several other LTE devices to watch video on.  For those with only one device, that's a consideration that could take a different turn. I live in an area that gets good LTE speeds on AT&T (25Mbps+ down).  If I had to choose one phone, it would be a phone that had LTE. 

This is also a testament to how far other OEMs have come and how far Android has come, in general.  Nexus devices were necessary for my enjoyment of Android 1-2 years ago.  Now, I can enjoy Android under Touchwiz.  Also, Android OS versions are going from good to great whereas a couple of years ago, I would have described them as "maturing".

If you take Redpoint's suggestion from above (I recommend this, as well), do a factory data reset on the phone in the store before you test it.  I have run into non-responsive and laggy devices that were in-store displays.  Some of the time, this is caused by people downloading conflicting apps and leaving tasks running in the background on the phone.

29 of 70 (72,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2012 9:01:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:09:32 AM

dinosaur1 wrote:

You mentioned you don't have LTE in your area.  So that being the case (and if its not anytime coming soon), the article you quoted is a moot point.

It comes down to how you use your phone, and the quality of the HSPA+ network in your area.  I've read comments by people that the AT&T HSPA+ network in their area is good.  On the other hand, I've read comments by other users that can't stream any music or video on their phone due to the speed on the HSPA+ network.  If the current network works for the things you do, then you don't need LTE.  Speeds of 4 to 6 Mbps is pretty average in many places on HSPA+, and some have even commented on speeds close to 10 Mbps.  That is more than enought for most web browsing,and lots of other uses.  But if you are doing lots of streaming or downloading of files, LTE may make a big difference for you.

Some people even prefer the HSPA+ network over LTE, as LTE can use more battery (although I often get close to 2 days on a single charge while on LTE most the day).  Some even go as far as to toggle LTE off (even when its available) in order to save battery life.

My personal experience, the AT&T HSPA+ signal has always been pretty weak at my house.  Download speed is often 1 Mbps or less, and with frequent dropouts.  But switching over to LTE, the signal is rock solid now, and download speed is 20 or 30 Mbps.

But as already mentioned, its really a moot argument if LTE is not available in your area.

dinosaur1 wrote:

You mentioned you don't have LTE in your area.  So that being the case (and if its not anytime coming soon), the article you quoted is a moot point.

It comes down to how you use your phone, and the quality of the HSPA+ network in your area.  I've read comments by people that the AT&T HSPA+ network in their area is good.  On the other hand, I've read comments by other users that can't stream any music or video on their phone due to the speed on the HSPA+ network.  If the current network works for the things you do, then you don't need LTE.  Speeds of 4 to 6 Mbps is pretty average in many places on HSPA+, and some have even commented on speeds close to 10 Mbps.  That is more than enought for most web browsing,and lots of other uses.  But if you are doing lots of streaming or downloading of files, LTE may make a big difference for you.

Some people even prefer the HSPA+ network over LTE, as LTE can use more battery (although I often get close to 2 days on a single charge while on LTE most the day).  Some even go as far as to toggle LTE off (even when its available) in order to save battery life.

My personal experience, the AT&T HSPA+ signal has always been pretty weak at my house.  Download speed is often 1 Mbps or less, and with frequent dropouts.  But switching over to LTE, the signal is rock solid now, and download speed is 20 or 30 Mbps.

But as already mentioned, its really a moot argument if LTE is not available in your area.

[ Edited ]
30 of 70 (72,654 Views)