Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 6, 2014
1:36:23 AM
View profile
fire phone unlock!! why!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOE0WKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i buy a firephone in www.amazon.com, is the Without a Service Plan, a total of 649 dollars. Because I was in China, found that cell phones can not be used, suggesting that "SIM network unlock Pin", you can help me unlock the phone? Thank you very much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOE0WKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i buy a firephone in www.amazon.com, is the Without a Service Plan, a total of 649 dollars. Because I was in China, found that cell phones can not be used, suggesting that "SIM network unlock Pin", you can help me unlock the phone? Thank you very much.

fire phone unlock!! why!!!

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:27:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T only unlocks phones for its customers. The phone ad CLEARLY states AT&T phone. If you were looking for a phone to use in China, you should have purchase an already unlocked version.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

AT&T only unlocks phones for its customers. The phone ad CLEARLY states AT&T phone. If you were looking for a phone to use in China, you should have purchase an already unlocked version.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: fire phone unlock!! why!!!

2 of 9 (2,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 6:14:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I travel to China, it really can not use it?
I can not understand why I can not travel to China to install Chinese phone card to my phone!

I can not understand why I can not travel to China to install Chinese phone card to my phone!

3 of 9 (2,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 6:54:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

terry73520 wrote:

The device is SIM locked (also known as subsidy lock) its a simple as that.  Its locked to only use the SIM for a specific carrier.  SIM lock is not common in other countries, but for most phones purchased in the US  that are carrier branded, they will be SIM locked unless specifically noted as unlocked.  Its intended by the carriers to prevent you from switching to another US carrier.  But it will also prevent you from using a foreign (non-US) carrier, all the same.

You always have to be very careful about buying phones from sources outside your local carrier, region, etc.  Thorough research is needed to avoid disappointments like this.

I've seen the moderators here offer to help in similar situations (foreign persons buying AT&T branded devices and needing SIM unlock) so hopefully they can jump in and help.

terry73520 wrote:

The device is SIM locked (also known as subsidy lock) its a simple as that.  Its locked to only use the SIM for a specific carrier.  SIM lock is not common in other countries, but for most phones purchased in the US  that are carrier branded, they will be SIM locked unless specifically noted as unlocked.  Its intended by the carriers to prevent you from switching to another US carrier.  But it will also prevent you from using a foreign (non-US) carrier, all the same.

You always have to be very careful about buying phones from sources outside your local carrier, region, etc.  Thorough research is needed to avoid disappointments like this.

I've seen the moderators here offer to help in similar situations (foreign persons buying AT&T branded devices and needing SIM unlock) so hopefully they can jump in and help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (2,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 7:07:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by adidaskid808 on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:10:51 AM

Amazon do say it is an AT&T phone!
It is nothing to do with AT&T to unlocking the phone if you're not a customer.

I do not know where in China you're going to.
But you can try some local phone shop in China for service .
They may be able to help you out for under RMB 60 -- 80.
You should know better all cell phones are made over there .

If not,buy a generic phone for under US$200 (RMB 300) over there works as good.
But please do not bring it back to USA or Canada. 
I do not want you end up in trouble with TSA or CBSA.

Amazon do say it is an AT&T phone!
It is nothing to do with AT&T to unlocking the phone if you're not a customer.

I do not know where in China you're going to.
But you can try some local phone shop in China for service .
They may be able to help you out for under RMB 60 -- 80.
You should know better all cell phones are made over there .

If not,buy a generic phone for under US$200 (RMB 300) over there works as good.
But please do not bring it back to USA or Canada. 
I do not want you end up in trouble with TSA or CBSA.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (2,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 8:23:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

actually this is a case where the new law that got signed on the first was to be used for.  He can request and should get the unlock.  

actually this is a case where the new law that got signed on the first was to be used for.  He can request and should get the unlock.  

6 of 9 (2,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 12:43:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The law makes it legal to unlock phones but does not require the wireless provider to do so. The wireless providers can set their own requirements.

The OP will have to contact Amazon to see if they can get an unlocked version.

The law makes it legal to unlock phones but does not require the wireless provider to do so. The wireless providers can set their own requirements.

The OP will have to contact Amazon to see if they can get an unlocked version.

7 of 9 (2,106 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 6:38:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

terry73520 has purchased the phone for Full Price US$649 which is Without Contract.  (The contract price is US$ 199).  Technically speaking it should be an unlocked phone.

However I checked with Amazon and they have confirmed that even a FULL PRICE phone WITHOUT CONTRACT is locked to AT&T Network ! This does not make sense.

Amazon site should give a clear warning on this since generally when someone buys a full price phone, it is expected to be unlocked to any compatible network as per phone specs. 

terry73520 you can return the phone to Amazon to get a refund.

terry73520 has purchased the phone for Full Price US$649 which is Without Contract.  (The contract price is US$ 199).  Technically speaking it should be an unlocked phone.

However I checked with Amazon and they have confirmed that even a FULL PRICE phone WITHOUT CONTRACT is locked to AT&T Network ! This does not make sense.

Amazon site should give a clear warning on this since generally when someone buys a full price phone, it is expected to be unlocked to any compatible network as per phone specs. 

terry73520 you can return the phone to Amazon to get a refund.

8 of 9 (2,028 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 7:11:33 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor

There are THREE classes of cellphones

Contract phones - heavily discounted, locked to a carrier.

No-Contract phones - not usually discounted, but locked to a carrier.

World phones - not discounted, NOT CARRIER BRANDED, not locked to a carrier.

He bought #2. He wanted #3.

On the Amazon site it is listed as: "Amazon Fire Phone, 32GB (AT&T)"

Carrier locked phones are made that way because of deals between the manufacturer and the carrier - "exclusives" usually are slightly less expensive, because there still is a subsidy from the carrier to the manufacturer.

Fire is ONLY available carrier locked to AT&T. There is no carrier unlocked version. If you want a carrier unlocked device, Fire isn't for you.

There are THREE classes of cellphones

Contract phones - heavily discounted, locked to a carrier.

No-Contract phones - not usually discounted, but locked to a carrier.

World phones - not discounted, NOT CARRIER BRANDED, not locked to a carrier.

He bought #2. He wanted #3.

On the Amazon site it is listed as: "Amazon Fire Phone, 32GB (AT&T)"

Carrier locked phones are made that way because of deals between the manufacturer and the carrier - "exclusives" usually are slightly less expensive, because there still is a subsidy from the carrier to the manufacturer.

Fire is ONLY available carrier locked to AT&T. There is no carrier unlocked version. If you want a carrier unlocked device, Fire isn't for you.

9 of 9 (2,023 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments