The Samsung Galaxy S24
DJTeeJay's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, May 19th, 2014 3:40 AM

*disappointed* Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900a)

1) After purchasing device, find out its the only carrier with a locked boatloader...

2) Now all of a sudden the Samsung S5 "Prime" is coming....

Debating whether or not to return device and get a *Google Edition* model, a different AT&T model that can be rooted at this time, go with a different carrier all together, or last but not least, purchase a TMO S5 and unlock it.

with a 14-day return and a 5/18/14 purchase date, I gotta choose fast. its a new account/#, I don't mind if I need to change again...

Any ideas?

Oconnor .

[Edited for privacy.]

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@jsantiago1275 wrote:

Still, Galaxy S5 is way head of M8

How so?  The internal specs are very similar:  both Snapdragon 801, same GPU, same amount of RAM.

Displays on both phones are excellent, and very close in quality.  The colors on the S5 may be a tiny bit more accurate, and better contrast due to the AMOLED.  But the difference is negigible.  

Camera on the S5 is better in good lighting, but M8 is better in low light.

Absolutely no user development on the AT&T S5 due to locked bootloader.  Development on the M8 is excellent.

S5 has a crappy plastic body.  M8's exterior is gorgeous, well built metal.  S5 is waterproof, but M8 is still highly water resistant (although probably should not submerge).

In the end, its a draw in a lot of ways.  I'd say its actually the M8 that is "way ahead" in terms of exterior design and user development.

The only thing that S5 is "way ahead" on is marketing dollars spent by Samsung (and therefore probably also sales numbers).

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@DJTeeJay wrote:

I've been out of the game for a few years. I've had at least 35-40 Android devices, with my 1st being an HTC EVO in 2007, and then most of those were duplicates for dev purposes, so i would never be without a device. Back then, Motorola was the most difficult to root.

Does anyone know if there are any other devices I should stay away from? I'm guessing if I want the latest and greatest at the moment, I should go for the M8. But now I read there is a M8 "prime" coming too...

I'm getting sooooo frustrated cause I'm running outta time...

BTW, thank for the replies guys!

If you are going to wait for what is "coming" then that wait will never be over.  If you have had that many Android devices, it doesn't seem that waiting is your thing.

If you are a fan of rooting, custom ROMs, and modding, the M8 is the obvious winner for current devices IMO.  HTC devices released in the mid-period between "flagship" phones tend to not sell very well, and not enjoy much development.  I doubt HTC has the finances for another huge launch, so I suspect this will also be the case for the Prime.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

The Sprint HTC Evo was released on June 4th 2010 (not in 2007) as the first 4G Wimax phone (also the first 4 inch plus screen Android phone). Back in 2007, there were no Android phones that was the year of the Windows Mobile phone such as the HTC Tilt (Oct. 5th 2007). I had both the tilt and the Evo on release day.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T's sock-puppet army says:

Choices are bad for you. Choices are not what you really want. If you want choices, here's your choice, we've got this one phone over here for you, its never top of the line because its released with Q1 specs in Q4, and there's only one of them a year, and there might not be any more coming out, and the availability still sucks, but you should leave the rest of us alone and stop poisoning our thoughts with your lies about choice and freedom. Oh and by the way, here's a nice little star to put on your shirt, because we care about you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I'm screwed by at & t, I'm from another country, I bought an unlocked phone That said non-at & t and Have scammed me, They sent me back! another at & t.

I did not suppose this company Indirectly harms consumers.

I have a samsung galaxy s5 cute as a paperweight That nothing works, I'm suffering Because of at & t as follows:

- Excessive consumption battery
- Blocked Hotspot for other operators.
- Download Booster Eliminated
- Recharged much Bloatware.
- * # * # 4636 # * # * to choose network mode.
- The phone overheats too much for something I desconosco.
- The battery is defective or is the software layer or That battery does not last the.

I see many conformists, all you do is return the product for a refund or another, the market is flooded with galaxy s5 of at & t.

Something must be done, This Should not be so.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Just an update guys...

I ended up keeping my S5 and I'm finally happy with the device!!!

Why all of a sudden am I happy?

CAUSE WE GOT ROOT & RECOVERY!!!

thanks to all those devs that brought us these wonderful things!

May the ROMs begin 😉

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@jmiguel2k12 wrote:

I'm screwed by at & t, I'm from another country, I bought an unlocked phone That said non-at & t and Have scammed me, They sent me back! another at & t.

I did not suppose this company Indirectly harms consumers.

I have a samsung galaxy s5 cute as a paperweight That nothing works, I'm suffering Because of at & t as follows:

- Excessive consumption battery
- Blocked Hotspot for other operators.
- Download Booster Eliminated
- Recharged much Bloatware.
- * # * # 4636 # * # * to choose network mode.
- The phone overheats too much for something I desconosco.
- The battery is defective or is the software layer or That battery does not last the.

I see many conformists, all you do is return the product for a refund or another, the market is flooded with galaxy s5 of at & t.

Something must be done, This Should not be so.

It sounds like you purchased from an unreliable 3rd party vendor, which is not AT&T's fault.  You should have done your due diligence and researched the vendor you used, and only used a reputable one with a reliable exchange/refund policy.  Again, not AT&T's fault.

AT&T's devices are not intended for sale outside the US.  You should continue to seek resolution from the seller, as what you have described amounts to fraud.  Complaining about it here will not solve anything.

If someone returns the phone, how does that make them a "conformist"?  This comment makes no sense.  All they are doing is exercising their right to be a satisfied customer, whether its a defective device, or one they are not completely happy with.

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

I'm glad to hear the original poster was able to root the S5 and make it more to his/her liking. Shouldn't have to root devices though unless you really want to. It's a shame all the bloatware forced by both the manufacterers and carriers. Also, as far as the M8 goes, it is made of a more "premium" metal body and feels better than the plastic of the S5. That said, my friend dropped her S5 and it's fine, maybe a small scuff on the back. My other friend dropped his M8 from about the same height, and let's just say he has a beautiful and deep dent in the body of the device that is extremely noticeable. Just something to think about.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i bought one as well, i know how you feel and i live outside of the US, this phone absolutely sucks!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.