The Samsung Galaxy S24
grbaker's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 2:51 PM

battery issue at end of warrenty

my wife and I both experienced rapid battery drain within three days of one another and both within three days of the end of the warrenty period of our phones:

Motorola Moto X (gen 1)

Apple iphone 4s

This just seems like more than a coincedence. our batteries drain three times as fast as they did before this began;  it was a sudden change.  anybody know why?  suggestions?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

Cell phone batteries are designed to last a certain number of charges, which is usually about 2 years. And also the warrant period.
Some phones have user replaceable batteries, not all do.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

That is fine.  We've had both phones for one year, and, obviously, they are different platforms.  Both have been rebooted and have no running apps.  Wifi is turned off.  data is turned off.  The issue existed before we made any of these changes, and continues to persist.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:
Cell phone batteries are designed to last a certain number of charges, which is usually about 2 years. And also the warrant period.
Some phones have user replaceable batteries, not all do.

Warranty from AT&T is one year.

Li ion batteries don't all automatically go caput after a certain amount of time or # of charges. Some might go bad in a short time (within a year or 2) while many others will last for a few years.  While the battery may be "designed" for a certain number of charges, many will exceed this number, and some (defective ones) will fail to meet the number.

I've had a few Android smartphones and tablets.  The ones I've used for 2 years (or more) all seemed to have the same (or similar) battery life as when they were new  (no obvious or significant decrease in battery life).  I have an HTC Flyer tablet that is still going strong after almost 4 years.

Based on the OP's comments, and info on another post he made, I suspect it may be a local network issue causing the battery drain.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

I appreciate the answer to my querry, and this seems to fit in with what we are experiencing.  I am calling this one sloved because it is the best answer I have received....If the problem does not solve itself as redpoint suggests I will repost.  If others are experiencing this problem please let us know if it is a short term problem with you as well...Thanks to the forums and posters!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

Another thing to consider is that it's winter, and if you are in a region that gets cold, remember that batery chemistry doesn't work as well in the cold, so your battery will appear to drain faster, but will recover some just by arming the device back up.  I mention this because where I am, it was -4F when I went to work this morning, and we have wind chills in the -25 to -30 range tonight.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

9 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

Another thing to consider is that it's winter, and if you are in a region that gets cold, remember that batery chemistry doesn't work as well in the cold, so your battery will appear to drain faster, but will recover some just by arming the device back up.  I mention this because where I am, it was -4F when I went to work this morning, and we have wind chills in the -25 to -30 range tonight.

True, if outside and phone gets cold, the battery is going to drain very fast.  

However, if the OP and his wife are just rushing from one indoor location or heated car to the next, they should see that much change in battery life.  -3F at my location this morning, and my phone is still at 95% after 3 hours.  Although I did warm up my car before the morning commute.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

9 years ago

Also, I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility the battery is going bad.  Yes, these battery may last years, or they may fail after a couple months (if defective).  You just never know.  I'd keep a close eye on the issue and try to made some judgement before the warranty ends, just in case.  But the fact your wife is seeing a similar issue on a completely different phone and different OS, is a bit suspicious, to say the least.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.