The Samsung Galaxy S24
AT714's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 5:51 PM

Yellow Pages advertisement at the top of my Contacts

What's up with AT&T putting this Yellow Pages ad at the top fo my contacts list?  And forcing the AT&T sound when the phone boots up?

I'm paying a ton of money for this smartphone, so does it really need to be ad-supported???  You're giving me reasons to root or switch carriers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Hmmm, seems to be less an ad and more of an embeded utility to lookup. Odd place to put it, but I'll withhold opinion until I see if it's actually useful or just a space waster.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@AT714 wrote:

What's up with AT&T putting this Yellow Pages ad at the top fo my contacts list?  And forcing the AT&T sound when the phone boots up?

I'm paying a ton of money for this smartphone, so does it really need to be ad-supported???  You're giving me reasons to root or switch carriers.

Well I mean the phone is AT&T branded so I dont see why they wouldn't put their AT&T sound when the phone boots up...I wouldnt be surprised if another carrier had some other sound when the phone boots up

As for the Yellow Pages, if you are talking about the widget you can just remove it from the screen, but if its in your actual contact list, then thats wierd, I have never seen that before...sometimes if you download an ad supported application from the Google Play store, it will add ads to your notification bar and homescreen...so check for that

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Jon, you don't need to withhold your opinion; regardless of how "useful" this Yellow Pages in my contacts list is, they should let you hide it.  The Contacts settings even let you set a "customized list" and "only show contacts with a phone number", and yet it always forces the Yellow Pages and your own phone number to be at the top of the contacts list.  The only 2 things I want to remove, I can't.  Give me control of my own phone.

smooth, the phone had no bootup sound with Gingerbread.  But now it does with ICS.  And it's really annoying; I should be able to boot up my phone in silence!  What if I'm in a quiet place?  And no, I haven't added any Google Play app for the Yellow Pages thing.

Due to these 2 issues, and the other crapware AT&T forces, screw it.  Today I'm looking into putting on the latest version of Android, without the crapware, without the bootup sound, without the YP ad.  You can suck it AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I too am annoyed about the yellow pages contact, as I find YP to be next to useless and unistalled the app immediately. But I don't know why you have a problem with the startup sound, its actually kind of cool I think, and quiet, I wasn't sure I heard it the first time and restarted the phone to confirm. Ya YP is annoying but considering how infrequently I use my actual contacts app compaired to "add" from messaging or checking call logs, and after experiencing the improvement of ICS over GB and seeing you get livid over it and a startup sound I admit I'm feeling a little silly..

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

The boot sound is loud as heck on my One X.  Really don't like drawing attention to myself when powering on my phone.  Glad to be rooted, bootloader unlocked, and rid of the sound.

And the YP thing, its a poor idea to smear branding for a 3rd party company all over the UI, that most people will never even use.  And if I remember correctly, the YP bloat was running in the background constantly, sucking up resource for no reason (again, on something most people will never use).  Its been so long since I've been on the stock ROM, I forgot the annoying YP stuff was on there.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Can someone post a picture of the yellow pages app on top of the contacts list? I have a Galaxy S3 and I do not have any YP thing on my contacts

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is garbage and worse than bloatwear.  Why do I have to look at this YP icon at the top of my contacts list?  It is a small screen in the first place and when i type in a contact, I have to look at the YP contact and then scroll down.  Has anyone figured out how to disable this>

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@jackaforeman wrote:

This is garbage and worse than bloatwear.  Why do I have to look at this YP icon at the top of my contacts list?  It is a small screen in the first place and when i type in a contact, I have to look at the YP contact and then scroll down.  Has anyone figured out how to disable this>

The great thing about Android 4.0 and higher is that you can freeze annoying bloatware apps. Do this:

settings-->application manager-->all

Scroll all the way down to YPMobile, touch the app to go into app info, click "Disable". You're all done! It's the next best thing to actually uninstalling the app (which you can't do unless you root).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

It's obvious no one at AT&T is paying attention to the complaints about bloatware (seeing as it only got worse when I updated to ICS), but this is incredibly obnoxious.  It's one thing to have apps that you can't remove because at least they can mostly be ignored, but it's another thing to insert advertisements.  And that's exactly what it is - an annoying, unremovable ADVERTISEMENT.

AT&T, you need to remove this from the contacts app or at the very least give us an option to hide it.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

wrley wrote:

It's obvious no one at AT&T is paying attention to the complaints about bloatware (seeing as it only got worse when I updated to ICS), but this is incredibly obnoxious.  It's one thing to have apps that you can't remove because at least they can mostly be ignored, but it's another thing to insert advertisements.  And that's exactly what it is - an annoying, unremovable ADVERTISEMENT.

AT&T, you need to remove this from the contacts app or at the very least give us an option to hide it.

Did you try disabling it, as suggested in the response directly before yours? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.