The Samsung Galaxy S24
rpark91's profile

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 7:48 PM

Xperia X10 Sideloading Apps Problem

First off, I'm mad that AT&T has this phone locked down. Second, I'm mad that I can't upgrade to 2.1. I'm wanting to sideload an apk using the AndroidCentral Sideloading Wonder Machine but it doesn't recognise my phone. I've done everything. I do not want to root the phone. I just want to install a simple apk file without the Error message popping up saying "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in the Android Market." Any ways I can get around this? Please and thanks!

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

13 years ago

I'm not sure where everyone is getting that you have to have the swm saved to the root of the C drive. I have mine in a downloads folder under my profile and it works just fine. The main thing you need to remember is if it doesn't work (no matter where it's located) run adb from the command line and use adb devices. SWM uses adb to find the device so it knows where to install it. You'll notice if you open the task manager and start SWM it loads adb.

Also to change directories from the command prompt, you type cd [directory to switch to]. If you need to go to the root of C just type C: at the prompt.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Hey, did you try to update your phone through the sonyericsson web page. I just ordered my phone so I can't check it if it works but I had different phones of sonyericsson and I always updated them through their page. I know there is an update on there page for this phone.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

Did you download the latest version of the .NET framework from Microsoft? If not you will HAVE to.  I've been using this program with no problem since i got my  x10.  Once you D/L .NET reboot your computer then under applications set your phone to usb debugging before you plug your USB cable in. Good luck.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

The official update from SE is not available yet for North America.  Judging by the list of available updates on the XDA developers forum it will at least 4 more weeks before it is ready.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

13 years ago

@rpark91 wrote:

First off, I'm mad that AT&T has this phone locked down. Second, I'm mad that I can't upgrade to 2.1. I'm wanting to sideload an apk using the AndroidCentral Sideloading Wonder Machine but it doesn't recognise my phone. I've done everything. I do not want to root the phone. I just want to install a simple apk file without the Error message popping up saying "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in the Android Market." Any ways I can get around this? Please and thanks!

Do you have the android SDK downloaded? You will need to get that first before you can use SWM. If SWM doesn't see your phone after plugging it in, open a command prompt, change directories to the directory your adb.exe is in. After downloading the SDK there will be a tools folder that has the adb.exe in it. When you change directories in the command prompt to the tools folder type "adb devices" (without the quotes) and it should detect the phone. Try running sideload wonder machine again and it should work.

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

Sorry for the long wait. I've installed .NET and still no luck. I'm in the process of installing the SDK, but which platform should I install? I've installed {SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, revision 2} also {SDK Platform Android 2.1-update1, API 7, revision 2} also {SDK Platform Android 2.0.1, API 6, revision 1 (Obsolete)} and it's installing more packages. Also, how do I change directories in command prompt?  Referring to another post, I saved the android-sdk-windows folder under C:  (if that helps at all)

Thank you all for the support so far!

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

I didn't have to install SDK.  What OS are you running you your computer?  I have Windows Vista home premium and with some help of the troubleshooting guide on Android central was able to use the SWM with no problems.  Make sure you have the latest version of SWM downloaded and make sure it is in the ROOT of your harddrive.  I'd suggest you go back and read the guides here for anymore help with this issue since they would be able to help you the most.

Good luck

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

I finally got it to work!!! I installed the 1.6 package and checked for the adb devices that were connected and it read my phone. I now i have swype! Thanks spidertech!!

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

13 years ago

@rpark91 wrote:

I finally got it to work!!! I installed the 1.6 package and checked for the adb devices that were connected and it read my phone. I now i have swype! Thanks spidertech!!

You're very welcome.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Help please,

Trying to sideload an app to my Xperia X10.  Tired to follow the SWM steps but I cant get it to work.  Could someone please walk me through the process.  My USB doesn't show up.  Only want to download one app.  Please I would appreciate any assistance.  I need it in laymans terms.  Thanks in advance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.