The Samsung Galaxy S24
Jp697174's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 7:28 PM

Xperia TL Update?

Where's my JellyBean update your people promised me when they sold this phone? I know Sony and Android have signed off on it, and we're waiting for you(ATT) to release it? Well? Here's the deal....1 week....that's how long you have to release it before I dump all 5 of the phones I have with you. Enough is enough! All your doing is filling it full of useless ATT aps that I won't be able to delete. Sad company.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Sony released the JB update through their website today; http://www.sonymobile.com/us/software/phones/xperia-tl/

However, you should read through the Sony Forums regarding the JB update to the Xperia T. A lot of people are having problems  w/ JB; http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support/xperia_t_tx

Hope this helps.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T is also rolling out the Xperia TL update today.  So enjoy.  But let me share my Xperia TL experience with you...

I came from Windows Phone 7, and wanted an Android.  I agonized for a couple months leading up to my upgrade over which device I wanted.  After the Xperia TL came out, I went into an AT&T store, hoping that some hands-on time would make my choice easier among the several phones I was looking into.  They didn't even have the TL in the store.  I asked a clerk about it, and he told me they didn't have any because it's a terrible phone that nobody should want.  He didn't make me want it any less, because I like to form my own opinions based on my own experiences.

But long story short, they AT&T clerk was rude and unprofessional.  I never got my hands on a TL, and I ended up going with the HTC One X (a couple weeks later from Best Buy Mobile.)  It was my front-runner the whole time anyway...  And here I am in March, having to unlock and root my phone to get Jelly Bean.  The Xperia looks like a nice phone, so I'm happy for you.  I just wish AT&T would support the more popular HOX as quickly as they have done with the Xperia TL...

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I like, you wanted to get me hands on one too before upgrading. And again, like you, The HTC OneX was my front runner, since I had the HTC Inspire, and loved it. Well, after many phone calls to local AT&T stores, Bestbuys, Frys, etc. I decided to check to Sony Stores, and sure enough, they had a working model. Went in, and fell in love with the screen! The screen resolution is like staring at a TV! Follow that up by 20+ mins. of testing the features, I had my clear choice. Of course, after getting the phone there were a few bumps, but as is the case with any new phone. However, I'm surprised to hear about JB not being out for the OneX. I would have bet $ that it would have been released for the OneX well before the Xperia. Well, at any rate, good luck!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Well, so much for updating to JB. Went to the Sony website, and it turns out that they removed the update, so that AT&T can release it themselves. And big surprise, AT&T has yet to release it! Oh well! Se La Vi!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

This has turned in to a Benny Hill show.  How are they screwing up releasing a fw?  That's the systematic part of a release.  I'm a software engineer and I can't imagine screwing up the part where you're already done creating and testing the software and all you have to do is hand it out.  

[word filter avoidance]

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Is AT&T only monitoring for language on this thread and not progress on the issue?

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

I've been trying for 4 days to get the jelly bean upgrade. Sony's web site says it's out, but pc companion and sony's software updater say I have the most current software. It won't kill me to wait, I just wish they hadn't announced it was released until it was ACTUALLY released! I guess Sony just released it to ATT, and ATT will release it when they see fit.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

Sony  removed the update from their website today. Now showing ICS as most current software. Oh well!

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

11 years ago

That's why people don't like much Sony Smartphone. They don't maintain their update matters so straight. This is a shame for Sony!! these days people likes high end smartphone with frequently update the OS

Guru

• 

725 Messages

11 years ago

@redhot4400 wrote:
That's why people don't like much Sony Smartphone. They don't maintain their update matters so straight. This is a shame for Sony!! these days people likes high end smartphone with frequently update the OS

Not Sony's fault.  JB has been available for the T for nearly a month, and it's not a bugridden shovelware update like it is on many Samsungs.  (Look at ICS for the GS2 - even on the international I9100 it was a total disaster.)

There is zero difference other than the baseband between the T and TL - in fact over on XDA, people were frequently crossflashing T firmwares onto the TL.

Unfortunately, JB requires an updated baseband, so last I checked, crossflashing T Jellybean onto the TL had issues.

If it were the T, you'd have a few techniques for taking matters into your own hands (CM10 on the T is rock solid at this point), but AT&T forced Sony to lock down the TL.

If you want a decent device these days, you *absolutely cannot* purchase it through AT&T.  If you do, you are guaranteed delayed updates of poor quality and an inferior device.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.