Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Will an Honor Play or Redmi Note 7 work well on AT&T's LTE bands?

Highlighted
Tutor

Will an Honor Play or Redmi Note 7 work well on AT&T's LTE bands?

I'm considering buying an Honor Play, a Redmi Note 7, or a Moto G7 for use on AT&T, mainly in Utah.  I know the Moto G7 should get good reception, because it is compatible with just about every US LTE band.  The other two SHOULD work, but they don't have every band AT&T uses.  But, I think I'd get more bang for the buck if they did work well.  They both better specs for the same amount of money.

My question is:  Will Honor Play or Redmi Note 7 be missing out on a lot of coverage that the Moto G7 would pick up?

I found this article about bringing your own device to AT&T which states:

"To work on our network, your device has to operate on one of these GSM frequencies:

• 3G UMTS network - 850, 1900MHz bands
  • 4G LTE network - AWS, 700, 850, 1900MHz bands"

I also found some info here about AT&T's bands:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Phone-Device-Upgrades/What-are-AT-amp-T-s-4G-LTE-bands-in-2018/td-p/535926...

IMG_6352.PNG

There was a lot of discussion about subtleties of bands, too, which I don't think I fully understand.  Is this info correct and complete?

Here's the 4G bands Honor Play uses, according to Amazon:

800(B20) / 850(B5) / 900(B8) / 1800(B3) / 2100(B1) / 2600(B7) 

FrequencyCheck.com has a slightly different list:

B1 (2100), B3 (1800 +), B5 (850), B8 (900), B34 (TD 2000), B38 (TD 2600), B39 (TD 1900 +), B40 (TD 2300), B41 (TD 2500)

So, the Honor Play uses Band 5 850, which is on AT&T's list.  It may also use B39 TD 1900+, but I'm not sure if that's an AT&T band or not.

The Redmi Note 7's bands, according to Amazon:

LTE band 1 (2100), 3 (1800), 5 (850), 7 (2600), 8 (900), 34 (2000), 38 (2600), 39 (1900), 40 (2300), 41 (2500)

And according to ebay:

4G: FDD LTE B3:1800/B1:2100/B7:2600/B5:850/B8:900MHz; TDD LTE B34:2100/B38:2600/B39:1900/B40:2300/B41:2555-2655MHz

So, the Note 7 uses band 5 850 and also band 39 1900.  Is that the same as 39 TD 1900+?  Is that sufficient to get good coverage and reception in the US?  Peoples' reviews on Amazon suggest that both phones worked well on AT&T.  Would it be a bad idea to get one of these phones?  They're such a great deal, but not if I get bad reception!

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bkohrman
‎06-07-2019 12:10 PM

Re: Will an Honor Play or Redmi Note 7 work well on AT&T's LTE bands?

@bkohrman You can add "66" to the list, as well, it's some low-frequency, long-reach new deployment stuff, that you REALLY want to have.

I like WhistleOut(for many things, but they also keep their crossover data up-to-date): https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/cell-phone-networks-and-frequencies-explained

FrequencyCheck is pretty handy, too, but I'm not quite as sure about their updates, but they do have a "phone checker", which I know was accurate for ATT, some months ago: https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/at-t-united-states

Either way though, you're not going to have a good experience, with those phones, on ATT, there's just too much "missing bandwidth".  Sometimes there are "international versions" of some phones, that have more of the "mostly US bands/frequencies", but I'm not sure about those particular ones (OnePlus is a good example).

@bkohrman I'm realizing, too, that you're finding pretty "dated' links now, for these answers, so if you find mine sufficient, mark it as "solved", and I'll add some "tags", so hopefully it'll come up closer to the top of a "search" for this info...

Edit: adding a "fixed" table, as of 6/7/19, data from WO.  Anyone finding this "tagged post" more than a few months later, should refer to the links above, for more current/accurate data:

Carrier Frequencies and Bands
Carrier 3G Frequencies 4G Bands
AT&T GSMA/HSPA/HSPA+ 1900 MHz, 850 MHz 2, 4, 5, 12*, 14, 17*, 29, 30, 66

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bkohrman
‎06-07-2019 12:10 PM

The simple answer is no, they won't work on at&t. 

I wouldn't buy any of those.  They have a limited usage as they are 3g only and won't have service at all once at&t shuts down 3g.   The imei is seen as 3g by at&t and you only have one out of 2 required.    Band 12/17 are the main LTE bands, any phone without those has a snowball's chance in frying planned getting LTE.  

They will make nice MP3 players.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Master

Yep, @lizdance40 , it's interesting though, a lot of that is (obviously) location-dependent.  I'm often on B30 (which is download-backhaul only), and 5, but only occasionally on 12 or 17, I probably see 29, more than either of those, in the greater Seattle-urban areas.  
My LTE is PLENTY strong enough in the urban here (wish I could say the same for a lot of rural areas), I just rarely see those "primary bands", as one would expect.

You're spot-on with the phone though, although I like to think of it as a "nice tablet over WiFi", more than an MP3 player Smiley Tongue

My OP7 has VoLTE now, got that to provision (surprisingly, given that it's not on any "list" out there that I can find), and am still trying to "force" the 5T and 6 in our household, one of these days...

Next, on to WiFi calling, I "called out" Cares yesterday, when they recommended this to people in an "outage area", just to make sure they knew that this was a branded/iOS option, ONLY ;-]

@lizdance40 If you're okay with my answer (and @bkohrman ) I'm going to mark/tag it, with a bunch of keywords, so it gets "bubbled up" when people are searching for this info (WhistleOut is REALLY good about keeping this data current).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Sage

You listed the G7.  If you buy the US model it has correct bands and works on At&t and Verizon 

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7-9357.php#usa

The Samsung A10

Or anything else Best Buy has on display. 

8FC15647-8D2C-4BD2-B043-3BC95EFE3758.jpeg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Master

Yep, @bkohrman , @lizdance40 ,has an excellent point, the G7 supports all of those (I'm pretty sure it's even fully Fi compatible, which is SAYING something, about the switching in the phone, how good it is):

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g7/documents/MS137727

I still like the 3A, or OnePlus 6T, myself, which are again very close to the same pricing, particularly a "mint - used" phone, but the Moto should be a great phone, too (I just don't love their lower-res screens, that's really my big hang-up with them, currently).

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to save a bit more, and get a OP7 Pro, it's got an INCREDIBLE screen, and awesome h/w otherwise, to-boot.  Not sure if that fits at all though, in your budget, even longer-term, that's obviously the most important here (the G7 IS a great phone, for a lot less).

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Sage

It’s tough if you want to stay sub-$200.  

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Master

Yeah, no question, sub-200 is "tricky".  I see some G7's for the 210-230 range, delivered, but not including tax.

The cheapest I could find a "good - used" 3A was for about 3-325 (on a "safe site" for purchase, anyway)

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support