The Samsung Galaxy S24
slapshot30's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, May 16th, 2011 3:07 AM

Closed

Will HTC G2 Unlocked now work with AT&T HSPA+???

I read some older posts on the forum that only EDGE will work on the HTC G2 when used with AT&T. But my question is, now that AT&T has HSPA+, won't we be able to use that on the HTC G2 now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I remember reading the G2 had HSPA+ support. I really want a higher end android device with a hardware keyboard and good processor, not much to choose from on AT&T.   😕

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

HSPA+ has nothing to do with whether the G2 will work on AT&T or not.

The G2 is a TMO device and as such uses TMO's 3G network frequency of 1700Mhz.

AT&T's 3G network frequency is 850Mhz and 1900 Mhz.

The G2 simply does not have the hardware to work on AT&T's 3G/HSPA+ network.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

Only the Bell Canada version of the Desire Z (Model No. A7275) will work on AT&T's 3G network (850/1900 MHz).  And they go for a premium price  But if you buy one, and its unlocked, it works perfectly!  Its the phone I have . . .

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Ah, I did not see that. However, the HTC Desire Z (almost exact replica of G2) does seem to have those bands... would the Desire Z work on the AT&T 3G network then?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Ah thankyou! I see some on ebay for around $400, I'm going to wait a bit until it dips down under that price point. Where and how much did you get yours for? (If you flash custom ROMs and such) Would you say the deveopment on it is pretty good or lacking compared to other phones you've had? I currently have the Tilt2 and at first the development was amazing, but it is obviously starting to wither down with time at this point.

EDIT: Darn... I was wrong, the A7275 version is the lowest at $600 on ebay.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

$600 is pretty normal.  I got mine from Negri Electronics for $650 plus shipping back in December.  Some people have claimed to have gotten them for $500 or a bit less on craigslist or other places.  But this phone is a pretty hot commodity among US AT&T users like you, so those deals are far and few between.  If you live anywhere near the Canadian border, I've heard mixed reports about going into a Best Buy in Canada and buying one for full retail (still considerably less than buying from online sellers).

ROM development has been pretty good on the Desire Z.  Development was a bit slow until recently (but still several very good ROMs), since there was no Gingerbread ROM released yet for the phone, only GB ports from other phones (which started off as very buggy).  It seemed that lots of developers were holding back, and not developing Froyo ROMs, since they knew the offiicial GB ROM was coming soon.   But now that GB has been released for the T-Mobile G2, the ROM development has really busted open.  I think you will have plenty to keep you happy, if you pick this phone.

I posted a mini review for the Desire Z a while back, so you might want to check that out.  Especially coming from the Tilt2, same as you, I think you will find it informative:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/HTC/Got-my-new-phone-HTC-Desire-Z-unlocked-Bell-Canada-branded/td-p/2631459

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Okay thanks. This seems to be the phone for me. I found the phone for an outrageous $280 unlocked from this site. I am questioning it's legitimacy though... a chinese wholesaler. The site seems well put together, but when I google it, I don't get much at all. I really hope it's legit but I'm holding off for now.

http://www.wostore365.com/views.asp?hw_id=51

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

Hmmm, a place that sells motorcycles and cell phones, and mostly only takes Western Union and PayPal.  Looks suspicious!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Hi redpoint

Does ATT recognize your  phone as a smart phone.  I have an old data plan with a G1 and I don't want to be railroaded into the new ATT rate structure but I I want another android.   Looking for nonATT phones which will "fly under the radar".  

Thanks  jomega

• 

2.8K Messages

12 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. If you still have questions, please start a new topic or send a Private Message to the user in question. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.