Will AT&T help? (phone glitches, but NO water damage)

Contributor

Will AT&T help? (phone glitches, but NO water damage)

So I have had my phone, the Motorola Atrix since August 2011, and it was great at first. Recently the screen has been finicky, like not unlocking, or freezing. Tonight the keyboard stopped working (specifically the Q, E, and A buttons). I'm not up for an upgrade until August of this year, and I'm not about to go shell out 500+ for an iPhone, because I'm putting myself through college, which is a little more important... My question is this; will/can AT&T do anything about this for me? I'm not talking about a brand new phone, but can they give me a  refurb? This phone has ABSOLUTELY NO water damage (both stickers are white as snow) and very little wear and tear because it's been in a case since the day I bought it. Does anyone know what they will/can do for me? 

I doubt they will do anything, because why should they help me for cheap when they can just sucker me into spending $500 on a new phone, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!! :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 5 (1,389 Views)
Expert

Re: Will AT&T help? (phone glitches, but NO water damage)

bethbreezyy07 wrote:

So I have had my phone, the Motorola Atrix since August 2011, and it was great at first. Recently the screen has been finicky, like not unlocking, or freezing. Tonight the keyboard stopped working (specifically the Q, E, and A buttons). I'm not up for an upgrade until August of this year, and I'm not about to go shell out 500+ for an iPhone, because I'm putting myself through college, which is a little more important... My question is this; will/can AT&T do anything about this for me? I'm not talking about a brand new phone, but can they give me a  refurb? This phone has ABSOLUTELY NO water damage (both stickers are white as snow) and very little wear and tear because it's been in a case since the day I bought it. Does anyone know what they will/can do for me? 

I doubt they will do anything, because why should they help me for cheap when they can just sucker me into spending $500 on a new phone, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!! :smileyhappy:

Pretty sure it will be considered out of warrenty, but unfortunately you signed a agreement for the discounted phone and most, if not all major carriers will not replace the phone if it is out out warranty but not out of contract. Have you tried doing a full factory reset on the phone?

Message 2 of 5 (1,346 Views)
Contributor

No, I haven't tried the factory reset. I'm skeptical to do that, only because it's the touch screen that is acting up, not the memory or anything. It's almost like it's been used too much, I think. I'm going to stop by an AT&T store today and see what they can do.

Message 3 of 5 (1,316 Views)
Former Community Manager

Let us know how it goes!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (1,306 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Sounds like possibly  the digitizer going bad (the part of the touch screen that registers your finger touches).  Factory reset might not help.  But won't hurt at this point (just make sure you back anything important to SD or your computer.

AT&T's device warranty is good for 1 year, and nothing last forever, so I wouldn't expect them to give you any type of warranty coverage.  But I believe that you are eligible for an upgrade after 20 months (not the full 2 years). So you would be eligible next month.  Or tell them your situation, and they might be able to give you an early upgrade.

Repair may also be an option, either by yourself, or a 3rd party repair shop.  Some people will just say replace the digitizer yourself.  They can often be purchased for fairly cheap (compared to a new phone), and supposedly this repair is often not that hard (if you know what you are doing).  But repairing smartphones is not for everyone (I personally am terrible at such "fly surgery").  And it might not be the exact problem, so it can be a wasted effort.

Message 5 of 5 (1,243 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.