For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Ark42's profile

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 9:13 PM

Wifi + 4G icon

What does it mean when I have both the Wifi icon (all 4 arcs filled in, so good signal) and then the 4G icon appears next to it? Normally I only get one or the other (depending on if I'm away from wifi).

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Probably nothing to be alarmed about.  The phone is still connected to the data network, even if its not actively being used.  You're right in that the icon normally will not show if you are connected to WiFi.  But probably nothing to be worried about anyway.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have same issue and from reading other forums about this issue, it is not something to pass over lightly.  There is an issue.  This was not happening before I updated apps last nite on my Samsung S3.  It appears that both are in use from flashing of bars.  Not good.  When I am in WiFi I want phone to use WIFI, not data via 4G.

So can someone please help?....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

It's happening to me also.. Wifi and 4G at the same time. I'm going to call them today and see what's going on. My cellualr data has increased 3 time the amount I usually use since this is happening.

Explorer

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Happened to me about a month ago and I was told that it was best to turn off data when using wifi. And it works, data is not being used with data and I'm not going over my usage as a matter of fact I'm well below. Hope thos helps.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Called AT&T tech support. The tech went through a few things but ultimately said turn off cellular data when connected to wifi... Well, NO... Then mms messages do not work. Seems like there's a glitch with the newest update. Although he did give me a 1GB credit.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

FYI... Problem fixed... Kies backup and a factory reset then restore my data and settings. No more 4G and Wifi at the same time.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same problem with both icons intermittently - sometimes there doesn't appear to be any LTE activity but sometimes there is.  I don't want to have to manually turn off mobile data every time I am on WiFi.  I read in another forum for another carrier that a specific application was to blame for this.  Does anyone know of what applications might be triggering LTE?

Thanks!

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

In my experience with Android, the icon appeared on me while on Wi-Fi when stock apps needed the ATT network to do the background refresh. Not sure if that is the same reason for anyone else but would help to check which apps are using your data, and the ones you don't use but are listed is part of the culprit.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.