Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 11, 2012
4:16:14 PM
When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

Any idea when to expect it for west coast?

Any idea when to expect it for west coast?

When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

178 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(178)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 12:27:51 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As most of you have noted, the 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the Optimus G is available. 

This is an over the air update but you must be connected to wifi to complete the process. 

To update: 

Connected to Wi-Fi 

1. The download completes in the background. The install can be postponed up to three times (one, four, or eight hours).
  2. The status bar shows an update is available and the following message appears: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now?
  3. Tap Install Now
  4. The phone restarts.
  5. The phone displays: Updating Software, and restarts again.
  6. The phone displays: Update complete: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  7. Tap OK.

Not Connected to Wi-Fi

1. Notification - AT&T software update. Status message: Wi-Fi not connected, A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here: AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. The device Wi-Fi setup screen displays and the user selects Wi-Fi network. Status message: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now 
  4. Tap Install Now.
    • The device automatically restarts.
    • After the phone restarts, it displays: Updating software.
    • After the update is complete, the phone restarts automatically.
    • The phone displays: Software update: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  5. Tap OK.

Initiating the update on your phone

1. Connect to Wi-Fi. 
  2. Tap Menu.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap General.
  5. Tap About Phone.
  6. Tap Software Update.
  7. Select Update Now.
  8. Follow the prompts above
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey all, 

As most of you have noted, the 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the Optimus G is available. 

This is an over the air update but you must be connected to wifi to complete the process. 

To update: 

Connected to Wi-Fi 

1. The download completes in the background. The install can be postponed up to three times (one, four, or eight hours).
  2. The status bar shows an update is available and the following message appears: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now?
  3. Tap Install Now
  4. The phone restarts.
  5. The phone displays: Updating Software, and restarts again.
  6. The phone displays: Update complete: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  7. Tap OK.

Not Connected to Wi-Fi

1. Notification - AT&T software update. Status message: Wi-Fi not connected, A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here: AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. The device Wi-Fi setup screen displays and the user selects Wi-Fi network. Status message: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now 
  4. Tap Install Now.
    • The device automatically restarts.
    • After the phone restarts, it displays: Updating software.
    • After the update is complete, the phone restarts automatically.
    • The phone displays: Software update: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  5. Tap OK.

Initiating the update on your phone

1. Connect to Wi-Fi. 
  2. Tap Menu.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap General.
  5. Tap About Phone.
  6. Tap Software Update.
  7. Select Update Now.
  8. Follow the prompts above
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

121 of 179 (11,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 12:43:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've been trying to update mine but I just keep getting 'Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error'

I had mine unlocked though to use outside the US. And we don't have AT&T here. Could this be the issue? Will I still get the update? How else can I update?

I've been trying to update mine but I just keep getting 'Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error'

I had mine unlocked though to use outside the US. And we don't have AT&T here. Could this be the issue? Will I still get the update? How else can I update?

122 of 179 (11,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 1:07:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine repeatedly says that my old software is up to date.  Very frustrating.

Mine repeatedly says that my old software is up to date.  Very frustrating.

123 of 179 (11,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 1:34:26 PM
(0)
Voyager

Mine says I'm up to date. Still can't get it.  ??????

Mine says I'm up to date. Still can't get it.  ??????

124 of 179 (11,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 8:22:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:07:48 PM

I don't think anyone realize what we didn't get from the upgrade, everyone else with a Optimus G has safety care and quick translator but the ATT version. I think even sprint has it. I don't understand why we wouldn't get it. I really see no different with JB from ICS, they only different that I can tell is that now I got Google now and my flashpalyer doesn't work no more.

[Inappropriate content removed]

I don't think anyone realize what we didn't get from the upgrade, everyone else with a Optimus G has safety care and quick translator but the ATT version. I think even sprint has it. I don't understand why we wouldn't get it. I really see no different with JB from ICS, they only different that I can tell is that now I got Google now and my flashpalyer doesn't work no more.

[Inappropriate content removed]

[ Edited ]
125 of 179 (11,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 6:57:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Still continues to say device is up to date as I repeatedly try to check for the update.  Again, very frustrating.

Still continues to say device is up to date as I repeatedly try to check for the update.  Again, very frustrating.

126 of 179 (11,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 10:35:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Same here. Still "Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error" and unlocking a phone without any contract is totally legal and the supported process. How can I get the JellyBean update?

Same here. Still "Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error" and unlocking a phone without any contract is totally legal and the supported process. How can I get the JellyBean update?

127 of 179 (10,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 12:27:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by only2sea on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:29:06 PM

I tried updating it with AT&T sim card. It worked. So you need to have AT&T sim card in your phone (and also AT&T network maybe) to get the update even if it's downloaded via WIFI. That's frustrating. I just got E97010o which is very old update right now and didn't have time to update further. I had to return AT&T sim card to my friend. Without AT&T sim card again I see the authentication error...

I tried updating it with AT&T sim card. It worked. So you need to have AT&T sim card in your phone (and also AT&T network maybe) to get the update even if it's downloaded via WIFI. That's frustrating. I just got E97010o which is very old update right now and didn't have time to update further. I had to return AT&T sim card to my friend. Without AT&T sim card again I see the authentication error...

[ Edited ]
128 of 179 (10,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 7:53:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Gdwheel on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:53:44 PM

I have an AT&T Optimus G locked to AT&T with a good SIM card and it wtill will not update.  Still says up to date.  Garbage.

I have an AT&T Optimus G locked to AT&T with a good SIM card and it wtill will not update.  Still says up to date.  Garbage.

[ Edited ]
129 of 179 (10,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2013 11:08:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
Im from Ecuador I hace The same problem. Help us
Im from Ecuador I hace The same problem. Help us

130 of 179 (10,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2013 8:04:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to update but now when I use it as a hotspot to connect my laptop I get a blue screen of death. Running Windows 7. Before it reboots I see something about Netbios.

I was able to update but now when I use it as a hotspot to connect my laptop I get a blue screen of death. Running Windows 7. Before it reboots I see something about Netbios.

131 of 179 (10,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 12:48:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

Jelly Bean definitely uses more power for some reason. With ICS when my charge was at 25% before going to bed it would be at 18-19% when I woke up. With JB it was at 25% before bed and was at 6% when I got up. That's a huge difference. Auto-sync is still off so I don't know what could be doing that. JB using more power is a common complaint, but WHY does it use more power? I haven't noticed any difference in performance between JB or ICS. What is supposed to be the benefit of updating to JB?

Jelly Bean definitely uses more power for some reason. With ICS when my charge was at 25% before going to bed it would be at 18-19% when I woke up. With JB it was at 25% before bed and was at 6% when I got up. That's a huge difference. Auto-sync is still off so I don't know what could be doing that. JB using more power is a common complaint, but WHY does it use more power? I haven't noticed any difference in performance between JB or ICS. What is supposed to be the benefit of updating to JB?

132 of 179 (10,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 5:26:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm just curious. Is your phone on JB regularly draining more batteries than the one on ICS?

My battery drainage varies very much. One day I could see the battery drop real time like 1% per every 10 seconds from like 50% to 3% even if I tried rebooting the device. Didn't know why.

I'm just curious. Is your phone on JB regularly draining more batteries than the one on ICS?

My battery drainage varies very much. One day I could see the battery drop real time like 1% per every 10 seconds from like 50% to 3% even if I tried rebooting the device. Didn't know why.

133 of 179 (9,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 7:16:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wow! People were really waiting and complaining for the longest just to get Google now and expanded notification. LOL!! That is all I see from this update. Oh I forgot that it drains your battery  a whole lot faster. Well I guess we got what we asked for.

Wow! People were really waiting and complaining for the longest just to get Google now and expanded notification. LOL!! That is all I see from this update. Oh I forgot that it drains your battery  a whole lot faster. Well I guess we got what we asked for.

134 of 179 (9,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 8:07:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
Lol looks like its hard to please everyone all of the time! Lol I'm really happy to see the response AT&T posted here! It seems like posting in this forum might have been somewhat influential. Thanks for finally updating the phone OTA.
Can anyone verify if after installing JB the stock browser loses its ability to play flash? I don't believe that's the case but an earlier poster mentioned it...Chrome never could run flash, but the stock browser definitely does on ICS at least. I'd be afraid to update if it means losing flash support...
Lol looks like its hard to please everyone all of the time! Lol I'm really happy to see the response AT&T posted here! It seems like posting in this forum might have been somewhat influential. Thanks for finally updating the phone OTA.
Can anyone verify if after installing JB the stock browser loses its ability to play flash? I don't believe that's the case but an earlier poster mentioned it...Chrome never could run flash, but the stock browser definitely does on ICS at least. I'd be afraid to update if it means losing flash support...

135 of 179 (9,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 4:11:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah Flash is gone but you can get the apk for it from Adobe or XDA.  Glad they didn't remove android browser since Q-Slide works with videos played on browser. Was worried about that.  They did remove LG social + too.  If anyone used it Idk. Battery is same as before.   LTE and display use a lot of juice.  But once it's off it's good.   For people who are losing juice while sleeping you may have to  clear data or reinstall certain apps. Had problems with chrome force closing,  Gvoice not updating notifications. Wunderground widget not updating. Few things here and there. 

Yeah Flash is gone but you can get the apk for it from Adobe or XDA.  Glad they didn't remove android browser since Q-Slide works with videos played on browser. Was worried about that.  They did remove LG social + too.  If anyone used it Idk. Battery is same as before.   LTE and display use a lot of juice.  But once it's off it's good.   For people who are losing juice while sleeping you may have to  clear data or reinstall certain apps. Had problems with chrome force closing,  Gvoice not updating notifications. Wunderground widget not updating. Few things here and there. 

136 of 179 (9,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 4:01:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

only2sea wrote:

Yes. It went from 32% to 17% last night. It was never that big of a jump on ICS.

Ominousmessage wrote:

For people who are losing juice while sleeping you may have to  clear data or reinstall certain apps.

I always force stops apps when I'm done with them. I never just push the back or home button and leave it. That's definitely not a factor. Even if people did do that it still wouldn't be a factor because they would have been doing the same with ICS as well, yet many people are complaining of the extra power drain with JB. Just do a google search for Jelly Bean power drain...

only2sea wrote:

Yes. It went from 32% to 17% last night. It was never that big of a jump on ICS.

Ominousmessage wrote:

For people who are losing juice while sleeping you may have to  clear data or reinstall certain apps.

I always force stops apps when I'm done with them. I never just push the back or home button and leave it. That's definitely not a factor. Even if people did do that it still wouldn't be a factor because they would have been doing the same with ICS as well, yet many people are complaining of the extra power drain with JB. Just do a google search for Jelly Bean power drain...

137 of 179 (9,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 7:52:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
i got the update but keep getting error 0x13e
i got the update but keep getting error 0x13e

138 of 179 (9,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 8:04:12 PM
(0)
Tutor
at 11% everytime
at 11% everytime

139 of 179 (9,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 8:44:35 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you're having an issue downloading the update. 

If you haven't been able to download it yet, will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

I'm sorry you're having an issue downloading the update. 

If you haven't been able to download it yet, will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

140 of 179 (9,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 10:24:09 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks, I sent a PM to Customer Care.
Thanks, I sent a PM to Customer Care.

141 of 179 (9,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 10:43:58 AM
(0)
Contributor
Also sent pm. Though i hope i have some luck this time. Already spnt 5hrs with phone and chat support and an hour at device support center. No luck( authentication error) .
Also sent pm. Though i hope i have some luck this time. Already spnt 5hrs with phone and chat support and an hour at device support center. No luck( authentication error) .

142 of 179 (9,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 11:49:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
pm sent
pm sent

143 of 179 (9,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 5:35:28 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi irrelevant, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi irrelevant, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

144 of 179 (8,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 5:45:04 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi SharkByte, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

Hi SharkByte, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

145 of 179 (8,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:38:27 AM
(0)
Community Support

Thank you Jeff for your PM. We look forward to working with you on this issue.

AT&T Customer Care

Thank you Jeff for your PM. We look forward to working with you on this issue.

AT&T Customer Care

146 of 179 (8,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 9:51:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by irrelevant on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:53:32 AM

ATTCustomerCare wrote:

Yes, so far that has meant telling me to contact LG (who have told me that this needs to be sent under RMA to them, and yes, that means i would be without a phone according to LG.. alternatively they said go to ATT store... i've already visited a device support center to no avail)

Am I expected to go through all this to resolve a technical issue not caused by me?

ATTCustomerCare wrote:

Yes, so far that has meant telling me to contact LG (who have told me that this needs to be sent under RMA to them, and yes, that means i would be without a phone according to LG.. alternatively they said go to ATT store... i've already visited a device support center to no avail)

Am I expected to go through all this to resolve a technical issue not caused by me?

[ Edited ]
147 of 179 (8,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 11:22:34 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by SharkByte on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:24:24 AM

As with user 'irrelevant', I was told to contact LG.

I've wasted hours of my time over the past week since AT&T announced this update was available.

This is the same pattern of frustration I endured when trying to update my Skyrocket to ICS, as AT&T kept telling me to contact Samsung.

I was called this morning after sending the PM and ended up basically providing training over the phone for the person calling to help me resolve my issue, and when I called the device support center he referred me to, I was told to talk to LG because they are "sending the phones with the wrong software version to get the update".  He went on to say that until LG provides me some kind of update to the software that came on the phone I cannot get Jelly Bean on my device, and said this is the case with all phones in stores that don't come with the update already.  I have spoken with LG and he confirmed that AT&T has stopped the update which is why everyone's phone keeps saying it's up to date.

As confirmed by other users, AT&T support reps will just pass the buck and send customers on a wild goose chase when the problem is right here.  Every single person I spoke with today and all week had a different suggestion or reason for why I cannot get the update and the guy from the support center even said he tried to update one of the phones they had in stock and couldn't.  Someone else from AT&T told me they test the update "on a few phones" but that once 1,000's of customers start trying to update theirs it causes problems.  All ridiculous answers avoiding the real problem.

Is this what AT&T calls "Customer Care"?

As with user 'irrelevant', I was told to contact LG.

I've wasted hours of my time over the past week since AT&T announced this update was available.

This is the same pattern of frustration I endured when trying to update my Skyrocket to ICS, as AT&T kept telling me to contact Samsung.

I was called this morning after sending the PM and ended up basically providing training over the phone for the person calling to help me resolve my issue, and when I called the device support center he referred me to, I was told to talk to LG because they are "sending the phones with the wrong software version to get the update".  He went on to say that until LG provides me some kind of update to the software that came on the phone I cannot get Jelly Bean on my device, and said this is the case with all phones in stores that don't come with the update already.  I have spoken with LG and he confirmed that AT&T has stopped the update which is why everyone's phone keeps saying it's up to date.

As confirmed by other users, AT&T support reps will just pass the buck and send customers on a wild goose chase when the problem is right here.  Every single person I spoke with today and all week had a different suggestion or reason for why I cannot get the update and the guy from the support center even said he tried to update one of the phones they had in stock and couldn't.  Someone else from AT&T told me they test the update "on a few phones" but that once 1,000's of customers start trying to update theirs it causes problems.  All ridiculous answers avoiding the real problem.

Is this what AT&T calls "Customer Care"?

[ Edited ]
148 of 179 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:44:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
at&t & lg just told me the 4.1.2 update has been canceled due to having to many issues prob because of bloatware and they have no idea when we will get .4.1.2 now thanks at&t
at&t & lg just told me the 4.1.2 update has been canceled due to having to many issues prob because of bloatware and they have no idea when we will get .4.1.2 now thanks at&t

149 of 179 (8,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2013 2:38:46 PM
(0)
Voyager

I was also having problems downloading the Jelly Bean update. I turned out that I had missed the update to firmware 11c. I think I missed it do to the timing of when I purchased the phone -- right after the firmware update and just before the Jelly Bean update. Anyway I sent a PM to ATT and they contacted me the next day. The pushed the 11c firmware to my phone, which, in turn, allowed me to download the Jelly Bean update. The phone runs great and battery life is much better.

The experience I had with the ATT techs was very positive. To be honest, after the experiences with my previous phone -- Motorola Atrix 4g which were not good, to say the least but it was probably a Motorola issue -- my expectations were not high. The support I received yesterday was outstanding and I am truly appreciative.

I was also having problems downloading the Jelly Bean update. I turned out that I had missed the update to firmware 11c. I think I missed it do to the timing of when I purchased the phone -- right after the firmware update and just before the Jelly Bean update. Anyway I sent a PM to ATT and they contacted me the next day. The pushed the 11c firmware to my phone, which, in turn, allowed me to download the Jelly Bean update. The phone runs great and battery life is much better.

The experience I had with the ATT techs was very positive. To be honest, after the experiences with my previous phone -- Motorola Atrix 4g which were not good, to say the least but it was probably a Motorola issue -- my expectations were not high. The support I received yesterday was outstanding and I am truly appreciative.

150 of 179 (8,772 Views)