When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

Any idea when to expect it for west coast?

Message 1 of 179 (28,367 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: When is Jelly Bean update for Optimus G?

Hey all, 

As most of you have noted, the 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the Optimus G is available. 

This is an over the air update but you must be connected to wifi to complete the process. 

To update: 

Connected to Wi-Fi 

1. The download completes in the background. The install can be postponed up to three times (one, four, or eight hours).
  2. The status bar shows an update is available and the following message appears: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now?
  3. Tap Install Now
  4. The phone restarts.
  5. The phone displays: Updating Software, and restarts again.
  6. The phone displays: Update complete: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  7. Tap OK.

Not Connected to Wi-Fi

1. Notification - AT&T software update. Status message: Wi-Fi not connected, A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here: AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. The device Wi-Fi setup screen displays and the user selects Wi-Fi network. Status message: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install. Later or Install now 
  4. Tap Install Now.
    • The device automatically restarts.
    • After the phone restarts, it displays: Updating software.
    • After the update is complete, the phone restarts automatically.
    • The phone displays: Software update: The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.
  5. Tap OK.

Initiating the update on your phone

1. Connect to Wi-Fi. 
  2. Tap Menu.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap General.
  5. Tap About Phone.
  6. Tap Software Update.
  7. Select Update Now.
  8. Follow the prompts above
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 121 of 179 (11,354 Views)
Highlighted

I've been trying to update mine but I just keep getting 'Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error'

I had mine unlocked though to use outside the US. And we don't have AT&T here. Could this be the issue? Will I still get the update? How else can I update?

Message 122 of 179 (11,343 Views)
Tutor

Mine repeatedly says that my old software is up to date.  Very frustrating.

Message 123 of 179 (11,325 Views)
Voyager

Mine says I'm up to date. Still can't get it.  ??????

Message 124 of 179 (11,298 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think anyone realize what we didn't get from the upgrade, everyone else with a Optimus G has safety care and quick translator but the ATT version. I think even sprint has it. I don't understand why we wouldn't get it. I really see no different with JB from ICS, they only different that I can tell is that now I got Google now and my flashpalyer doesn't work no more.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 125 of 179 (11,153 Views)
Tutor

Still continues to say device is up to date as I repeatedly try to check for the update.  Again, very frustrating.

Message 126 of 179 (11,073 Views)
Teacher

Same here. Still "Connection Failed Caused by Authentication Error" and unlocking a phone without any contract is totally legal and the supported process. How can I get the JellyBean update?

Message 127 of 179 (11,005 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I tried updating it with AT&T sim card. It worked. So you need to have AT&T sim card in your phone (and also AT&T network maybe) to get the update even if it's downloaded via WIFI. That's frustrating. I just got E97010o which is very old update right now and didn't have time to update further. I had to return AT&T sim card to my friend. Without AT&T sim card again I see the authentication error...

Message 128 of 179 (10,936 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I have an AT&T Optimus G locked to AT&T with a good SIM card and it wtill will not update.  Still says up to date.  Garbage.

Message 129 of 179 (10,829 Views)
Contributor

Im from Ecuador I hace The same problem. Help us
Message 130 of 179 (10,455 Views)
Tutor

I was able to update but now when I use it as a hotspot to connect my laptop I get a blue screen of death. Running Windows 7. Before it reboots I see something about Netbios.

Message 131 of 179 (10,391 Views)
Mentor

Jelly Bean definitely uses more power for some reason. With ICS when my charge was at 25% before going to bed it would be at 18-19% when I woke up. With JB it was at 25% before bed and was at 6% when I got up. That's a huge difference. Auto-sync is still off so I don't know what could be doing that. JB using more power is a common complaint, but WHY does it use more power? I haven't noticed any difference in performance between JB or ICS. What is supposed to be the benefit of updating to JB?

Message 132 of 179 (10,269 Views)
Teacher

I'm just curious. Is your phone on JB regularly draining more batteries than the one on ICS?

My battery drainage varies very much. One day I could see the battery drop real time like 1% per every 10 seconds from like 50% to 3% even if I tried rebooting the device. Didn't know why.

Message 133 of 179 (9,973 Views)
Contributor

Wow! People were really waiting and complaining for the longest just to get Google now and expanded notification. LOL!! That is all I see from this update. Oh I forgot that it drains your battery  a whole lot faster. Well I guess we got what we asked for.

Message 134 of 179 (9,562 Views)
Tutor

Lol looks like its hard to please everyone all of the time! Lol I'm really happy to see the response AT&T posted here! It seems like posting in this forum might have been somewhat influential. Thanks for finally updating the phone OTA.
Can anyone verify if after installing JB the stock browser loses its ability to play flash? I don't believe that's the case but an earlier poster mentioned it...Chrome never could run flash, but the stock browser definitely does on ICS at least. I'd be afraid to update if it means losing flash support...
Message 135 of 179 (9,532 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.