What new Galaxy S2 OTA Update?

Scholar

What new Galaxy S2 OTA Update?

This morning I'm getting prompted to connect my phone to wi-fi so an over-the-air update can be installed.  Does anybody know what that is?

Message 1 of 16 (2,740 Views)
Contributor

Re: What new Galaxy S2 OTA Update?

[ Edited ]

The update is an extremely minor update and according to AT&T, these are the changes:

Among other things it includes

• Fixes to the AT&T branded application launch process
  • An EAS/Office 365 security pop-up fix
  • An update to all Google branded applications

EDIT: It should be version 4.0.4 assuming you are already on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3)

Message 2 of 16 (2,732 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for the information.  For those who are curious, it's currently downloading 80360KB, so it would seem to be a small update.

Message 3 of 16 (2,684 Views)
Scholar

ADDITIONAL WARNING! I just learned that after downloading it, you can only postpone the update 3 times before it is forced upon you. The "delay" time is 1, 4, or 8 hours each time. So be sure when you accept the download that you're nearly ready to apply it!

Otherwise, keep your wifi off so it won't download automatically.

Some 25 minutes have passed with my phone in a non-op state while the upgrade ran. So far, it looks like all is well. I'll post back with some changes.
Message 4 of 16 (2,596 Views)
Mentor

my sgs2 update fine. phone seem to run a little better but now bloatware is back (somehow when i upgrade to ics some things were able to be unistalled) and they reomove my most usefull widget! the scrolling bookmark widget.......8 hours and I miss it so.........I must remain strong..........
Message 5 of 16 (2,428 Views)
Teacher

I would still like them to fix the notification problem.  Some days the phone works perfect, other days it will go silent for a a couple of hours and then start working normal.

Message 6 of 16 (2,282 Views)
Teacher

update:

I called ATT and they confirmed that there was a bug in the software an after telling them enough was enough; I told them that the next step was to go to Verizon.  They are now sending out a HTC phone.  Funny because they said it would be an older inspire 4g, but the email states that they are shipping a HTC one x.  It does not matter to me.  Just a phone that does what it is supposed to do.

Message 7 of 16 (2,239 Views)
Scholar

This update seems to make my battery life a bit less than before, but otherwise, it's OK. Though there are a few minor issues that show a lack of polish, such as when the phone is fully charged, it shows on the top notification row a small battery with 100% superimposed upon it as well as a 100% icon plus the original battery icon that is fully green. Basically, I get 3 icons instead of one. I've also had the "sleep of death" once in the past week, but I had those sporadically under 4.0.3 also.
Message 8 of 16 (2,105 Views)
Contributor

i called them too...but they are just not accepting its their fault...asking me to contact samsung...crazy service - i cant believe they are the biggest GSM provider in the country...

i even asked them to provide a penalty free early upgrade (due in 5 months anyway)...but nah, they just love to mint the money w/o paying any attention to customers...very disappointing...

Message 9 of 16 (2,085 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I havent gotten them to accept that the software upgrade is causing any issues either. They are trying to say its my battery. I guess my wifes phone which starting have the exact same problems as mine after the update needs a battery also. What a bunch of ****** at att/samsung

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 10 of 16 (1,851 Views)
Highlighted

Re: What new Galaxy S2 OTA Update? - Phone shutting down ? (I777UCLK3)

I have this same horrible problem of phone dying atleast twice or thrice a day after this update. Can somebody help me with this...... ?????????????

Message 11 of 16 (1,797 Views)
Explorer

I have had the same random shutdown issue here after the update. I may be okay now but I am still waiting. I only use it for voice calls and some texting, not for games, music, etc. Here's what I did so far:

1. Took it back to AT&T and they did the reset and replaced my info.

2. Did the Uninstall Updates & Disable on all the AT&T applications.

3. I only have one app - used to display battery life.

4. Turned off the percentage info in the top bar.

Phone still shut down twice. Both times it happened after ending a phone call using my earpiece. My bluetooth earpiece is maybe 5 years old. Thinking this might be the issue I turned off the bluetooth feature (already had WI-FI turned off). My phone ran for 4 days and still showed 19% power remaining! I plugged the charger in and let it get back to 100% then unplugged the charger and did a restart. The phone has been fine since then (9 hours) and is showing 94% power remaining.

I plan on letting it be until the battery is low again and then enabling the bluetooth function to see what happens. I am optimistic!

Message 12 of 16 (1,631 Views)
Explorer

Spoke too soon. Phone died twice today for no reason. AT&T offered to send a refurbished phone to me with 4.0.3. How does that not say there is a problem?!?
Message 13 of 16 (1,559 Views)

Nix-Fone wrote:
Spoke too soon. Phone died twice today for no reason. AT&T offered to send a refurbished phone to me with 4.0.3. How does that not say there is a problem?!?

are you in 1 year contract or something or how are they sending you a refurbished device ? What did you do to get the refurbished device, since i have the same issue.

Message 14 of 16 (1,550 Views)
Explorer

I am under the 1 year warranty until April. I actually called back and asked for a supervisor but got the same run-around. I see no reason to get a refurbished phone with the same software level and have the same issue. I begged them to look at the forums and see how many people are having this problem.
Message 15 of 16 (1,538 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.