The Samsung Galaxy S24
alekdavis's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 11:32 PM

What is mdnsd and why is it killing my battery?

I have an unrooted LG G3 with whatever Android version that AT&T currently supports. A few days ago I noticed that the battery life was getting worse (I'd get like 6 hours out of normal use, i.e. full day use). I also noticed that under tha battery usage details, mdsnsd is one of the top offenders (along with Screen, Android System, etc). I do not remember seeing this process before, so I'm wondering what it is and how to get rid of it. My Google searches pointed me to the posts that suggest that this process may be caused by a microSD card (I removed it, but it did not help), Firefox bugs (I don't have Firefox on my phone), Flight Aware (or something like this that I don't have installed). Basically, none of the suggestions I saw applied to my phone. I also installed a brand new OEM battery (I purchased one recently), but it is no better than the old one. Is there anything I can do?

P.S. I also notice a process with no name that thakes a few battery cycles. Not too many, but I'm wondering why it has no name. Could it be a virus?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

7 years ago

After the latest Facebook update, this is no longer an issues for me. mdnsd is not listed anymore under battery usage

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I do not have facebook installed on my note4 BUT I still have mdnsd running in the backgroud.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I traced it to Facebook. I'm a communications engineer and proved my point by doing this: logging onto Facebook I did everything but Post or Re-post. No MDNSD app. running on my phone. Post/re-posting activated it (MDNSD) 5 out 5 times. Spent one week on Facebook w/o posting/re-posting and I never showed up again. This was 6-months ago. I have not used Facebook and this app. has not been on my phone since. This is an information gathering app. that, somehow, gets stuck in a loop trying to get your information, and looses it's destination IP address (one or more companies or Government agency tracking what you are saying). Anyway, 6-months not using Facebook. Never returned to my phone. My carrier is AT&T and I have an android phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Actually there's still a viable workaround for those unwilling to succumb to the privacy, data & space hungry apps like Facebook & Messenger, umpteenth Google spawns... (specifically to access FB Messages without Messenger): On your mobile browser switch to use "Desktop Mode" & message section will reappear! Then make sure to Allow Notifications for the site; may need to change in Settings/Advanced/Site: Facebook. (Also suggest: get an APK Extractor for backups, to revert from a bad update. The "Lite"  version works w/least permissions. Extract apps & store external, update browser with security fixes, research & try more security/privacy based ones. Uninstall or disable any apps possible, remove permissions of must keep - tho abilities vary by device & provider). 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Coming strictly from a layman's perspective, I add my name to the lengthy list of frustrated LG G3 mdnsd daemon sufferers. My only "tech" experience is one college class of Algol coding in 1975.

My approach therefore was more from a desperation approach than knowledge-based action.

First I read the myriad of blogs that left my head reeling.

Background: I uninstalled or disabled every app I knew I would never use, immediately upon getting my phone. I have never used FB and don't fly a drone (yet).

My procedure: I uninstalled Firefox. I checked to make sure my phone was current with updates.

I followed procedures to re-calibrate my battery, 3x. Cleared cached info. No help. Then yesterday I individually enabled each disabled app, took all permissions away, cleared cache and data, and re-disabled. Then I moved my pictures (all197) over to another device. I also checked "restrict apps in background" under battery saver. Rebooted phone and charged to 100% again.

I have no idea which action did the trick; perhaps it was a combination, or even just me believing I could overcome this little monster, but it took my nasty little daemon off my phone (and also the no-name one) and my battery is back to normal. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.