The Samsung Galaxy S24
alekdavis's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 11:32 PM

What is mdnsd and why is it killing my battery?

I have an unrooted LG G3 with whatever Android version that AT&T currently supports. A few days ago I noticed that the battery life was getting worse (I'd get like 6 hours out of normal use, i.e. full day use). I also noticed that under tha battery usage details, mdsnsd is one of the top offenders (along with Screen, Android System, etc). I do not remember seeing this process before, so I'm wondering what it is and how to get rid of it. My Google searches pointed me to the posts that suggest that this process may be caused by a microSD card (I removed it, but it did not help), Firefox bugs (I don't have Firefox on my phone), Flight Aware (or something like this that I don't have installed). Basically, none of the suggestions I saw applied to my phone. I also installed a brand new OEM battery (I purchased one recently), but it is no better than the old one. Is there anything I can do?

P.S. I also notice a process with no name that thakes a few battery cycles. Not too many, but I'm wondering why it has no name. Could it be a virus?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

After a couple of days of not using the Facebook apps, it seems like I got a new phone. The battery life has improved drammatically. There is no MDNSD process in the battery usage. I'm so happy. The mobile Facebook web app works very similar to the app, except you cannot edit comments (I haven't tried uploading or posting so can't say how it works). I installed the Swipe app (from Google play), which is a lightweight Facebook mobile app wrapper. There are some bugs, but it allows me to read and post messages. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

It's caused by the Facebook app, specifically the nearby friends feature. Uninstall FB, reboot phone, reinstall, but do NOT turn nearby fridnds back on. Problem solved! Hooray!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

It's caused by the Facebook app, specifically the "nearby friends" feature. Uninstall FB, reboot phone, reinstall, but do NOT turn the nearby friends feature back on. Problem solved! Hooray!

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

7 years ago

I've never used or enabled "nearby friends" on Facebook and still have this process hogging battery.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

I didn't use the nearby friends feature either.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It's not a virus dont't worry. In my case the problem was in the last Dropbox app update. If you use it too uninstall it and restart your phone. The problem should be solved. Hope it helped

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I, too, have experimented with trying to pinpoint the mdnsd issue and have concluded that it's Facebook. If I get rid of the app, the issue resolves. I even downloaded an older version and never had mdnsd trouble. But now that I've updated to the latest version, the evil little devil is back.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I finally figured it out. Mdnsd stopped operating when I put my phone on safe mode; however, you can't access any 3rd part apps on your phone. I took my phone off of safe mode and the Mdnsd came back on. I soon found out that it's linked to the Facebook app!! I deleted my fb app and since then, I haven't had any problems with mdnsd. So I really think that it's linked to Facebook. In fact I almost guarantee that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I really think it's linked to facebook. Once I deleted my fb app and restarted my phone, I had no more trouble out of mdnsd.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

After I switched to Friendly (it's a Facebook+Messenger app), I no longer have this issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.