For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
alekdavis's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 11:32 PM

What is mdnsd and why is it killing my battery?

I have an unrooted LG G3 with whatever Android version that AT&T currently supports. A few days ago I noticed that the battery life was getting worse (I'd get like 6 hours out of normal use, i.e. full day use). I also noticed that under tha battery usage details, mdsnsd is one of the top offenders (along with Screen, Android System, etc). I do not remember seeing this process before, so I'm wondering what it is and how to get rid of it. My Google searches pointed me to the posts that suggest that this process may be caused by a microSD card (I removed it, but it did not help), Firefox bugs (I don't have Firefox on my phone), Flight Aware (or something like this that I don't have installed). Basically, none of the suggestions I saw applied to my phone. I also installed a brand new OEM battery (I purchased one recently), but it is no better than the old one. Is there anything I can do?

P.S. I also notice a process with no name that thakes a few battery cycles. Not too many, but I'm wondering why it has no name. Could it be a virus?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

This is a DNS daemon, and may see heavy use from a really wide variety of apps.  

Anything that's constantly hitting URLs, such as a social media app(s), or other apps that update frequently, could see high use from this.

If it were me, I'd diagnose by first disabling most of my background apps, except core (phone, built-in texting app, maybe email), and see if this fixes it.

If so, start by adding back in background apps, but give each 1-2 a day or so to run, before adding more.

One way to do a "quick check" here is to enable data-saver, and see if this also brings down the usage (this should, in thoery, prevent almost all non-essential background apps from doing things that require a DNS check).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Likewise! My wife and I both have a GS7 and since the update a few days ago both of our batteries last one third of the time they did before. Please fix this AT&T!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

Just did factory reset (full refresh, with no app/data transfer), and the process is still there (just as the unnamed process). I checked my friends' phones and they do not seem to have this listed in the battery usage screen. What's going on there? Is this an LG or AT&T issue? I suspect it's related to some of the bloatware apps, but can't figure which one. I'm currently running the OS with no additional apps installed (Facebook is the only add-on app).

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

7 years ago

Same thing on my S5 started around the same time. I can watch the battery drain and have to charge the phone at least once a day now. Mdnsd is at 34% and has been running for 7 hours! I don't have Firefox or any of the other suspected apps. Frustrated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I also have determined that Facebook is the culprit for my MDNSD issue on my S5.  I've noticed that if I open Facebook and I get the header but no actual body to my newsfeed, then every single time this happens I can check setting and see that MDNSD is there at the top of the list, starting to hog up all resources.  If I reboot while on the charger/QI and leave it plugged in for stew minutes afterward, it clears it up (until the next flakey Facebook launch).  If I do a reboot while not on the charger or if I immediately take it off the charger, it is still there.

I'm running the latest version of Facebook (as of this date) but finding anyone with this same issue seems pretty difficult in my search (which is how I ended up here).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I think I have the same issue. High battery use by MDNSD and pretty much only have Facebook running other than core apps. I noticed Facebook struggling to refresh and hangs. After about a minute, the feed loads. I might uninstall Facebook and just use the built-in browser for a while.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you, pgrey. After the rebuild, I pretty much left everything as is and the process appeared but with not as high percentage. I'm wondering if this is caused by the bloatware that comes with LG G3 that I cannot uninstall (do I really need the Uber on my phone if I have no intention of using it in near future? ot Twitter app?). Anyway, Facebook/Messenger is the app that use most and it's probably the one that causes the problem (other than Facebook, I have Feedly, Player FM and All-in-one Remote, but I do not think these would cause the problem). It looks like the Facebook messenger is even worse than Facebook, since after installing it, the process takes a lot more power; and unfortunately, without it, I cannot access messages, but I'll probably leave without the messaging capability for a while to see if it helps).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm having the same problem and have tried deleting Firefox, Facebook, Messenger, and disable Chrome, and yet the process persists. I'm losing hope at this point.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

I uninstalled Facebook Messenger and noticed that the MDNSD power usage went down. I tried then to use the Facebook on the mobile site and making sure it worked fine, I uninstalled Facebook completely and the process seems to have disappeared. I think I also noticed improved battery usage. Will continue monitoring it, but there seems to be hope.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Yeah @alekdavis, that's sort of the nature of social-media apps, they're going to be really data-intensive, particularly depending on if you have a small refresh-window setting(s).  You can change this, which would probably help some, but ultimately the browser is going to be more efficient, at least with the current implementations.

I suspect that eventually things like FB mobile will become more flexible, allow you to choose who you get more frequent updates from, and how they receive notifications.  It's a tricky business, people want their latest updates, and security/reliability (hence a lot of DNS refreshes), but they also don't want to sacrifice battery.

You can sort of have two, frequent/accurate-safe/low-battery, choose two (no, not entirely scientific, but not a bad rule-of-thumb, not just for social-media apps) ;-]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.