The Samsung Galaxy S24
Zandora's profile

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

Friday, October 1st, 2010 5:08 PM

What car mount do you recommend for the Captivate?

I need a car mount for my Captivate (as GPS works just ducky on my Captivate!) ---

So I was wondering what you would recommend.

I bought a cheapy and broke it while assembling. Don't ask!

Cost is not an issue, but quality, and how safe my Captivate will be in the dock is essential.

Some of the mounts I've seen online don't have ledges on the cradle, which I don't like as that seems unsafe to me, but if you've had good luck with those, I'd like to know.

TIA.

Z

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions!

After looking at the suggestions and doing some research of my own, I decided to purchase this Arkon mount:

Arkon Universal SmartPhone/PDA Vent & Car Mount

(but I bought it before it went on sale. That's the kind of luck I have. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all! LOL)

It is AWESOME. Fits my Captivate perfectly, even though it is in a rubberized case that adds about 1/4 inch thickness to the phone. The mount is well-built and sturdy, and has a nice ball & socket pivot joint that rotates easily and freely.

I mount it in one of those bean-bag dash thingies, which I had purchased way back when I bought my Tilt car mount...and this mount fits perfectly into my existing bean-bag base. I prefer the bean-bag base to the mounting disk, as it is portable. This was handy when I put my car in the shop and needed the mount in my rental.

The angle of the car mount arm is pre-configured for window mounting. If you want to use it as a dash mount, you need to flip the arm to ensure that the cradle faces up when you put your Captivate in it.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I made the following based on the attached video...it works great.  I got the mount through Amazon...Do not forget to also order the disk that mount to the dash....I have this in my truck and the mount holds solid when I am offroading also...much better than windshield mount....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcB3DQ8JKM0

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Thanks, corona!

Can you tell me the what the name or mfg of the mount you got was?

I couldn't tell from the video.

I'm not much of a DIY person, but I wanted to see how it looked out of the box to see if it I'm game to mod it as suggested.

Z

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

NM, I found it! Thx.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

My favorite: proclipusa.com

Rock solid.

Guru

• 

578 Messages

14 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

I don't like to depend on suction cups to hold my phone, so I purchased a Bracketron "Grip-iT" universal air vent holder (Model PHV-200-BL)  The "New Bracketron" design gives good adjustability with a ball and socket joint.  You can still find their older version with a ratcheting joint that allows for a quicker portrait to landscape rotation, but I don't think it allows for any tilting.  I needed the newer ball and socket version so I could turn the unit to face me.  It has two feet at the bottom to hold your phone as you squeeze the sides together to secure it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.