The Samsung Galaxy S24
Insightful's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 11th, 2012 2:49 PM

VOICE DIAL for Captivate 2.3.? upgrade ?

From 2.1 to 2.2 I  have been told by Samsung and AT&T that Voice Dial via BlueTooth is available. Not!

My LG Incite, Nokia E71x and some Motorola Clamshell ALL supported "speak name automatically dial via Bluetooth connection" --- This is what I am looking for as an in-car hands free requirement.

Does the current Captivate (Samsung Galaxy S iSGH897) Gingerbread update offered from Samsung have BlueTooth Voice dial included? Please?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

@Insightful wrote:

As they say: this dog won't hunt. I'd REALLY like to get a definitive answer on whether or not the 2.2 to 2.3 upgrade for the samsung galaxy S (aka AT&T captivate) WILL or WILL NOT provide Bluetooth functional voice calling - not google voice --- the whole point being to be using the BT earpiece to initiate and answer the calls WITHOUT locating the handset and pressing buttons while driving.

Bluetooth handsfree voice dial does work on 2.3.5.  There was a note somewhere that 2.3.5 fixed a "bluetooth bug on Samsung Galaxy S".  I have an old Motorola H690 and once it is paired, a push on the headset call button elicits a "Speak now" from the phone.  Alll the standard phone voice commands work.  On my BlueAnt Q2, I have to say "voice commands"  and wait for the phone to respond to initiate a call.  So...it's great!--handsfree voice calling just like on my RAZR V3i in 2006.  No more shouting at Voice Search in the car or having to get the phone out when wanting to make a call.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

On Android OS, 2.2.1 started support BT voice dialing by click the button on BT headset. Captivate 2.2 update is one revision short from that feature. The 2.3.6 update should include it but if Samsung put in the same Voice app (Volingo) as my GS2, it may not work either (to Volingo app takes over). I don't have Captivate anymore so can't test for you.  

Even with the old 2.2 update, you can still press and hold search button on your Captivate to initiate Google Voice Action and get voice dialing going. You just can't initiate it using the BT button.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

As they say: this dog won't hunt. I'd REALLY like to get a definitive answer on whether or not the 2.2 to 2.3 upgrade for the samsung galaxy S (aka AT&T captivate) WILL or WILL NOT provide Bluetooth functional voice calling - not google voice --- the whole point being to be using the BT earpiece to initiate and answer the calls WITHOUT locating the handset and pressing buttons while driving.

Scholar

• 

400 Messages

12 years ago

Same problem ever since I got my Galaxy Skyrocket.  Have to use phone to start a call and not the the Headset.  So much for Hands Free on Samsung phones any more................. Have never gotten update for 2.3.6 either as some have, and I check on phone every week and thru Kies...........

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

2.3.5 has bluetooth dialing, voice commands The bigfest benefit of Gingerbread upgrade.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Just to confirm (PLEASE!) - the 2.3.5 upgrade from AT&T for the Galaxy S CAPTIVATE at 2.2 WILL support BT voice activated dialing - WITHOUT ANY HANDSET BUTTON PRESSING...

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

diomenes confirmed this two months ago.  What is all the shouting for?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Yes!

2.3.5 Gingerbread update to Captivate at 2.2 WILL enable expected/full BT usability.

I apologize for an inability to comprehend this fact when surrunded by other phones (blue ant, moto razr, moto H690...)

My brain functions only in simple language.

Thanks to Diomenes and 21stNow.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.