Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Use existing sim card in new unlocked phone

Contributor

Use existing sim card in new unlocked phone

I recently purchased a new unlocked phone that is compatible with ATT; however, I don't know how to activate the phone after inserting the sim card (att). Do I need to deactivate the old phone before I can reactivate the number using my new phone? Seemed so simple, but it is turning into a nightmare. Thanks for any assistance.

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Use existing sim card in new unlocked phone

Typically if the SIM card form factor is the same all you have to do is move it from the old phone into the new one, no activation necessary. If the SIM card is of different size, it's best to visit a corporate AT&T store and exchange it for the correct size one. They'll activate it for you at the store then.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Lea_L.
‎05-05-2019 6:33 PM

Re: Use existing sim card in new unlocked phone

You don’t need to activate anything.  Just swap the SIM card and set up the new phone.  Often there is a mobile to mobile transfer option as soon as you turn the new phone on.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support