The Samsung Galaxy S24
joehkc's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 6:36 PM

Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

My captivate is running 2.2 at the present. From viewing posts, it looks like there has been a Gingerbread upgrade available, although not without problems. I wasn't notified of this one by ATT like I was with Froyo, and a mini kies program was pushed to me. Is there a 2.3 upgrade available, and would anyone recommend upgrading to it? My Froyo works flawlessly, but I understand battery usage/management and task management is better with Gingerbread.

Thanks...Joe

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

iPhone, in my opinion, is a much better product and is somewhat dumb (could not use the i word!) proof. It will be interesting to see what iPhone 5 is. For the Android, it takes forever to get an upgrade, and then it does not work well.  I dont see many bug fix patches or security fixes either. There should be!

I called Samsung today {removed for safety} to register my frustrations with the freezes. They logged the info, said to do a factory reset, and NOT to install other apps. They said that some app may not be ready for 2.3.5. I dont  believe that and wont be doing a factory reset unless the issue gets worse.

I too am up for renewal in  a few months. I probably will give Samsung one more chance with Galaxy S 2 or an ICS version from whatever manufacturer has them available mid Summer. If the Android does not work, then it will be an iPhone in 2 years.

Google just has to take control of the process and make sure the hardware manufactures and ATT stay on top of updates. I do understand that ATT has nothing to gain by making updates available and more to gain by not doing updates. No calls to the call center when there are issues with the upgrade.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@morechof wrote:

iPhone, in my opinion, is a much better product and is somewhat dumb (could not use the i word!) proof. It will be interesting to see what iPhone 5 is. For the Android, it takes forever to get an upgrade, and then it does not work well.  I dont see many bug fix patches or security fixes either. There should be!

I called Samsung today {removed for safety} to register my frustrations with the freezes. They logged the info, said to do a factory reset, and NOT to install other apps. They said that some app may not be ready for 2.3.5. I dont  believe that and wont be doing a factory reset unless the issue gets worse.

I too am up for renewal in  a few months. I probably will give Samsung one more chance with Galaxy S 2 or an ICS version from whatever manufacturer has them available mid Summer. If the Android does not work, then it will be an iPhone in 2 years.

Google just has to take control of the process and make sure the hardware manufactures and ATT stay on top of updates. I do understand that ATT has nothing to gain by making updates available and more to gain by not doing updates. No calls to the call center when there are issues with the upgrade.

I agree. I never thought I'd actually say it, but I think I might drop both of my phones including my Android Captivate and going to a plain iPhone 4 altogether. Android is so unique and I really like it, but I'm finding more and more reasons why I should just switch to an iPhone, instead.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

12 years ago

The hard reset is done. Email worked again. I then used MyBackup Pro to reinstall apps and settings. So far so good, but if I have problems I will reinstall all apps from scratch, without the data. But post-reboot email still works fine. My next phone might be an iPhone 5. Or maybe not; once I get used to the differences in Android, it'll get easier. And the iPhone's big downfall is that it won't download in the background (unless iOS5 fixes that...)

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

A couple things I would miss about Android if I made the switch is Adobe Flash support and live wallpapers. Other than that, there's really not much of a difference.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

When you say Tethering App Are you talking about tethering that needs an additional fee for it to work or the tethering you could do with the older versions of Keys without an extra fee. 

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry, my bad, it's the tetheringmanager application. Sometimes when plugging into a computer usb, and occasionally when plugging into my charger, the Tethering Manager will pop up on the home screen and I have to force stop. It's very occasionally, and I understand that this is not all that unusual after on a Galaxy S phone after the 2.3.5 update. Yes, it would be the software that controls the for fee tethering to a pc.

Mentor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

To me the whole upgrade issue is moot.

Kies mini seems to require a 32 bit Windows machine with full admin privileges.  I don't know about you but I have no access to a machine like that.

I have a Win7 machine but it's 64 bit & 2 macs none of which can run Kies mini.

I went directly to the Samsung update site & they confirmed this (Gingerbread update for Captivate).

So now what do I do?

I can find 32 bit machines but none in places like my local Library but none of them allow admin access for the installation of the drivers.

I guess I'm stuck with Froyo until it's time to update to a new device.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

Not true about win32. I used win 7 64bit for froyo and gingerbread upgrades using kies. No isseues. My only issue with gingerbread is my phone now locks up after 2 to 3 days of use!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I upgraded two days ago and am also having troubles.  Mine gets the pop up that tetheringmanager has failed and needs to force stop as well as a couple of others that I have not taken much note of unfortunately.  I don't use tethering and the error usually comes up on boot.  My phone will go from full bars to no signal when I am on a call after a couple of minutes and disconnect.  If I am on a call and try to go to the internet, the battery will fall to 0 and the phone shuts off.  I can plug it in and turn it back on the the battery will show an almost full charge and the phone will be fine again.  Has anyone found a resolution other than factory reset and reinstall?

I do love the new features.  One thing I miss is being able to double tap on a word and have it select the whole word instead of coming up with a menu asking if I want to select the word, cut the word, etc.  Some apps dont even show that and I have to move the blue arrow to the end of the word and delete it and hand type the word instead of being able to swype it again.  Is that a setting somewhere that I can turn back on?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Factory reset did not work Smiley Mad.  I have searched everywhere and can figure out either how to fix it or how to go back to froyo.  As far as I can tell, I am totally out of luck. Please does anyone have another suggestion?  If not guess I'll go phone less for 3 weeks and send back to Samsung to reimage.  One thing I suggest is to NOT upgrade to Gingerbread yet.  Wait for a few more updates and be sure to check posts from the brave who try it first.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.